• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben not commiting to 2017

Ben's powerplay. A what if. Take the poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mdk2

Reaction score
I can't believe Ben is saying he is not certain he will return for 2017. First off, if he didn't return for some reason, that is just inconsiderate to the organization. The least he can do is give them an idea of how long he wants to play for so they can plan for that by drafting or signing someone. IMO Ben would be making a big mistake if he doesn't come back with the level of talent on the team and the defense beginning to get pretty good.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Ben-R...te-if-he-will-return-for-2017-season-50777433

Committing** sorry for the misspell.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I can't believe Ben is saying he is not certain he will return for 2017. First off, if he didn't return for some reason, that is just inconsiderate to the organization. The least he can do is give them an idea of how long he wants to play for so they can plan for that by drafting or signing someone. IMO Ben would be making a big mistake if he doesn't come back with the level of talent on the team and the defense beginning to get pretty good.

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Ben-R...te-if-he-will-return-for-2017-season-50777433

Committing** sorry for the misspell.

Holy cow, for a Steelers fan this is serious stuff. Ben might be frustrated by bad apple types on the team, and perhaps the coaching. If he retires, the entire team is MEAT for 3 years, possible more...

If I'm Rooney, I sit him down with open ears and shut doors. Let him speak his mind. And like Manning or any great QB, work something out for him.

If Ben he wants Tomlin, Brown, or Haley out, so be it.

mdk2

Reaction score
He'll be back

No question he will. I guess this is going to be a yearly thing now. We really need to start looking to the future now. I wasn't expecting Ben to be talking retirement yet but the front office needs to start looking to his replacement now.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I saw that but he will be coming back. He's obviously frustrated, pissed off with the lack of effort and piss poor game plan.
He pretty much said as much yesterday when he said the game was too big for the young guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Still think there are issues between Ben and the coaching staff. The jab he took at Haley regarding the goal line play calls, his comments regarding the physicality of practices...etc. Not to mention your #1 receiver is turning into a prima donna. After listening to Cowherd yesterday talking about "signs" instead of distractions, there are definitely signs that all is not well as an organization.

mdk2

Reaction score
Still think there are issues between Ben and the coaching staff. The jab he took at Haley regarding the goal line play calls, his comments regarding the physicality of practices...etc. Not to mention your #1 receiver is turning into a prima donna. After listening to Cowherd yesterday talking about "signs" instead of distractions, there are definitely signs that all is not well as an organization.

If he isn't agreeing with Haley, then they need to find a way to get Whisenhunt back here at OC. I think Ben is also sick of AB, so that is going to need to be worked out.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
He's frustrated, if you listen to the entire interview I think hes getting sick of the locker room change, to many Me, Me, Me guys I think. He's always having to baby sit Brown during games, Brown again sulking after we scored a ******* TD, grow the **** up.

I know one thing, if I'm the Rooney's and I hear this, I'm opening my ******* check book and I'm figuring out who the hell I can bring in to offer immediate help, whether it's a cover CB, a legit pass rusher, or a #2 WR. The window is closing, need to try to win now, we can't wait on rookies, nor do we have the time. I don't expect to get 3 immediate starters from the draft again.

I think Ben will be back, but this is way of saying we better make some changes.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Holy cow, for a Steelers fan this is serious stuff. Ben might be frustrated by bad apple types on the team, and perhaps the coaching. If he retires, the entire team is MEAT for 3 years, possible more...

If I'm Rooney, I sit him down with open ears and shut doors. Let him speak his mind. And like Manning or any great QB, work something out for him.

If Ben he wants Tomlin, Brown, or Haley out, so be it.

Spot on post...and for the guy that wants.to bring back Whiz...Really?

skialta

Reaction score
Hell yes. Super excited to usher in the Zach Mettenberger era!

Steelers would be completely screwed

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
You guys seem to be reading a lot more into his comments than actually were said. He will be playing in 2017,
but the end could be coming sooner than many expect. Not likely to use the #1 pick on a QB, but any of the other picks
could be used.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is reading to much into it, no one is saying oh god he's done it'd over, I think most are spot on when they say this is Bens way of saying some **** needs to change

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys seem to be reading a lot more into his comments than actually were said. He will be playing in 2017,
but the end could be coming sooner than many expect. Not likely to use the #1 pick on a QB, but any of the other picks
could be used.

Not this year, the QB crop this year is abysmal at best. Need to look at bringing in a free agent QB.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
My bet is he is having similar feelings that Polamalu had. Troy was about done anyway but these top guys have high expectations and Tomlin just doesn't cut it. From 2015 article citing unnamed sources -

A source familiar with the Polamalu situation told me that the future Hall of Fame safety grew more and more upset with Head Coach Mike Tomlin and most of it centered around players brought in and attitudes that were tolerated.

Besides being fed up a few years ago with the “Young Money Crew,” Polamalu struggled to gain a rapport with new secondary mate Mike Mitchell. Polamalu was reportedly upset about Mitchell’s playing style and lack of focus.

In general, Polamalu became more and more disappointed in the way Tomlin dealt with younger players and in turn he became even more reserved than normal and focused his energy on his loyalty to Dick LeBeau.

http://steelcityblitz.com/2015/03/05/source-polamalu-issues-tomlin/

I believe it. Week after week of these kids celebrating first downs, celebrating tackles, making bonehead mistakes, that AB Youtube ****. Then you get spanked by NE and you know their coach wouldn't put up with any of that **** and you see no end in sight with Tomlin at the helm... must suck.

mdk2

Reaction score
Spot on post...and for the guy that wants.to bring back Whiz...Really?

Why not? He helped Ben get to a AFCC and win a Superbowl. Go back and watch the game plans on the offense during the 2005 runs, quick passes that helped Ben pick both the Colts and Broncos apart while mixing in a run game, with a mix of a couple timely trick plays.

Free Agent

Reaction score
Didn't Ben think about retiring after the Eagles game years ago? Keisel talked him out of it?

Talking about it again should be alarming and taken seriously.

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
My guess is that he'll be back. But if he decides to retire, I'd support his decision. It would suck, to be sure, because there is no replacement. Not much out there in free agency and not much in this years draft.

mdk2

Reaction score
My guess is that he'll be back. But if he decides to retire, I'd support his decision. It would suck, to be sure, because there is no replacement. Not much out there in free agency and not much in this years draft.

Tony Romo :( ... Ben, you better come back!

strat68

Reaction score
Why not? He helped Ben get to a AFCC and win a Superbowl. Go back and watch the game plans on the offense during the 2005 runs, quick passes that helped Ben pick both the Colts and Broncos apart while mixing in a run game, with a mix of a couple timely trick plays.

Good post. When Ben is at his best it's: drop back, look, throw. Just re-watch the 2005 playoff run up to the Superbowl. Ben rarely plays that way any more. This dropping back and looking around, run a bit, and then try to make a play is not working when it's done as much as I've seen it lately.