• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger Confirms Monday Likely His Last Home Game

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Pittsburgh Steelers legend Ben Roethlisberger spoke to the media on Thursday and it didn’t take long for him to get asked the obvious question.

“Is this maybe your last game at Heinz Field?”

Here’s what he had to say.

Monday night there will be one last offensive player introduction for this man.. "and youuuurrrrrrr quarterback.. from Miami of Ohio..Ben Roethlisberger!!!!"

I don't think I'm ready for that. pic.twitter.com/hdaBBVKAwB

— SteelerNation (@SteeIerNation) December 30, 2021

Sounds like the writing is on the wall. There won’t be many dry eyes in the stands on Monday night.

He was later asked that if head coach Mike Tomlin would call mid-season after he retired, would he entertain the thought of coming back for a spot start.

Ben Roethliisberger also says he’s probably not coming out of retirement next year if the Steelers call him — like reports of the Colts reaching out to Philip Rivers this week. pic.twitter.com/QJ7mSxRAlo

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) December 30, 2021

More answers from Roethlisberger:

Ben on if it was always his plan to retire after the season. pic.twitter.com/tXsHbKgkoS

— Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly) December 30, 2021

I know I’m going to savor these last two weeks. It’s an end of an era in not only Steelers history, but my life. Crazy.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Should that all transpire, BEN ROETHLISBERGER retires then that is the end of one of the greatest player ERA of this great franchise and NFL. Make no mistake the greatness of Ben as his acolades show he is one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Those that have been preaching of his release will get to see first hand how hard it will be to replace him. He has never been a flash in the pan, always the true deal from day one. 13-0 as a rookie regular season starter, will be a long time before that is equaled.

It is down right SHAMEFUL how this coaching / GM let it end with this big of a mess for Ben to deal with durring the season. Better should have been done.

Consumate professional, never threw anyone under the bus, ever. No excuses and manned up. 3-500yrd games, back to back 6 TD games, odels of come from behind victories to just name a few.

I am saddened but also very joyfull to have been witness to his entire career of play.

Thank You Ben Roethlisberger !!!!!

Salute the nation

Last edited:

mdk2

Reaction score
Ben never had a chance to succeed with this OL. The organization set him up to fail.

Ben deserved better in his final season. Thanks for always giving us a chance to win, no matter how bad the coaching was.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely going to miss him. Not only is he a top 20 QB of all time but he is probably top 5 in making something happen out of nothing. The way he ran the no-huddle and drew plays in the dirt, there is no doubt he could have played back when Bradshaw was playing. Not many QB's today can call their own plays at all.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
When Ben was good, he was really good, but when Ben was bad, he could make me cringe. I thought his best games were right down the middle. Some of his 4th quarter drives are legendary. He is a tough SOB and his body has been through a lot. It will not be the same not seeing #7 under center again after the next two weeks, but it's time, Big Guy.
You have served Steeler Nation so very well and will go down as the Steelers greatest QB, even if the rings don't compute.

MB47

Reaction score
It will be a sad day when Ben rides off into the sunset. He had a great career but it will always be filled with what ifs . The coaching staff did him.no favors the last 10 years but he elevated the play of all those around him. The dropoff to Rudolph or whatever clown that Tomlin wants to succeed him will be drastic and finally the true value of Ben will be on display for all to see. See you in Canton in 5 years big guy.

oneforthebus

Contributor
Reaction score
Damn. Already misty I’m not going to make it through Monday night. So strange to realize my kids have never known a Steelers team without Big Ben. The end of an era, a once in a lifetime type of player.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Roethlisberger had an incredible career. There are very few players in NFL history that were as fun to watch as Ben. He made plays other QBs couldn't and helped create some of the best moments I've experienced with the Steelers. No matter the game, 7 gave us a chance to win every week and should go down as one of the best athletes ever in the City of Pittsburgh.

mdk2

Reaction score
This also means Colbert is done too which means Tomlin will have even more control of the roster decisions and draft... scary.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Definitely going to miss him. Not only is he a top 20 QB of all time but he is probably top 5 in making something happen out of nothing. The way he ran the no-huddle and drew plays in the dirt, there is no doubt he could have played back when Bradshaw was playing. Not many QB's today can call their own plays at all.
Id argue he is a top ten qb… i come up with 9 you can make a good case as being better than Ben…
Tom Brady the cheater,
Joe Montana the winner,
Dan Marino the best pure passer
Brett Favre the gunslinger
Drew Brees the stat guy
John Elway the legend
Johnny Unitas the all time great
Peyton Manning the brain
Fran Tarkanton the old school passing god

And honestly there are guys on this list id take Ben over anyhow

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Roethlisberger had an incredible career. There are very few players in NFL history that were as fun to watch as Ben. He made plays other QBs couldn't and helped create some of the best moments I've experienced with the Steelers. No matter the game, 7 gave us a chance to win every week and should go down as one of the best athletes ever in the City of Pittsburgh.

This sums up Ben the best. You always had a chance with Ben. Even today, with how ****** the team is, Ben can still throw, put up points and yards.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Id argue he is a top ten qb… i come up with 9 you can make a good case as being better than Ben…
Tom Brady the cheater,
Joe Montana the winner,
Drew Brees the stat guy
John Elway the legend
Peyton Manning the brain

No argument from me. I figured saying top 20 was being very conservative and really not debatable.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This sums up Ben the best. You always had a chance with Ben. Even today, with how ****** the team is, Ben can still throw, put up points and yards.
He's the biggest reason they have the wins they do this season. I'm not sure if he didn't lead us from behind in every win this year and almost a couple of others. All, no thanks to Canada and Tomlin holding him back with their pathetic play calling.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
His toughness mixed with his ability to pass accurately on the run, mixed with his 4th quarter come back ability was truly something special. The best Steeler QB of all time, so many great performances. A winner in every sense of the word. I will miss him, Steelernation will miss him...

steelhurt

Reaction score
First of all let me begin by giving a big shout-out and a huge thank you to the infamous Butch Davis in all of his infinite wisdom bringing in Jeff Garcia in 2004 and passing on Ben for the legendary Kellen Winslow Jr. Many thanks Butchie and the Cleve Brownies.
Ben, I new this day would come but doesn’t make it any easier big man.There are just way too many accolades and fantastic memories of your remarkable performances to list here. You are the epitome of what a Pittsburgh Steeler should be. Your legacy is safe and will go down with greats in Steeler history. I look forward to your HOF induction in five years and your Steeler ring of honor induction.
Thank you for the fabulous ride and the two SB trophy’s. I’m sorry you didn’t have the support you needed to add more which with different coaching, better support and an overall better insight of what was needed I truly believe you would have added more.
Enjoy your family, let your body rest up and heal and play lots of golf and drink lots of cold beer.
I, no we all will miss you immensely here and you will never be forgotten.
Now let’s wait for the fun and to expose those who greatly benefited from your play all these years.

Last edited:

jiminoh

Simple Idiot
Contributor
Reaction score
Tom Brady the cheater,
Joe Montana the winner,
Drew Brees the stat guy
John Elway the legend
Peyton Manning the brain

Ben is certainly right there for sure. When I think of Ben, what immediately comes to mind was how he could throw an accurate pass downfield with guys hanging off of him.

Ben Roethlisberger - the tenacious one.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tom Brady the cheater,
Joe Montana the winner,
Drew Brees the stat guy
John Elway the legend
Peyton Manning the brain

REspectfully...please get Elway the **** off that list. He doesn't belong in the same sentence with Ben. He flat out sucked balls his first 10 years in the league.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
REspectfully...please get Elway the **** off that list. He doesn't belong in the same sentence with Ben. He flat out sucked balls his first 10 years in the league.
I would keep Elway on the list, just not as high as Ben. I think you take every QB ever there might have been something missing. Toughness, or accuracy, or game on the line ability, scrambling ability, able to read a defense, etc. Ben had it all. A QB might have excelled slightly in a category over him but I think you would be hard pressed to find that complete package. For me he is the most underrated QB in the history of the game. I know what led to it, but whatever.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I would keep Elway on the list, just not as high as Ben. I think you take every QB ever there might have been something missing. Toughness, or accuracy, or game on the line ability, scrambling ability, able to read a defense, etc. Ben had it all. A QB might have excelled slightly in a category over him but I think you would be hard pressed to find that complete package. For me he is the most underrated QB in the history of the game. I know what led to it, but whatever.
Id take ben over elway…

str8liner

Reaction score
Ben never had a chance to succeed with this OL. The organization set him up to fail.

Ben deserved better in his final season. Thanks for always giving us a chance to win, no matter how bad the coaching was.
Quite a few times over the years if I remember correctly, Bens oline was set up to fail. Remember "Hey Oline, who's laughing now? That was 2008.....And then the line got so bad they almost killed him a few years. Probably took years off of his career with the lack of talent evaluation that went on back then.

Took'em years to figure out how to rebuild it, now its junk again.

Some of us have seen warning lights flashing for years, others, not so much.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Of course that is what I was saying.🙃 I would take Ben over the majority of QBs but that is just me.
Im just saying elway put up 50k yards before they pussified passing. Thats still mighty impressive coupled with his wins. And he didnt play in a gimmik offense like warren moon either... I mean Id take Ben over Manning... and if it was back in the 90's when the over the middle fast pass stuff wasnt a smart idea, I dont think guys like Brady or Brees would stand a chance at being better than him. I know ben can play old school football and take brutal hits... he could have played in any era...