• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger signs with Pittsburgh Steelers for 2021 NFL season

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Cut and apparently spread the rest over a few years to knock 14 or 15 million off this year. It will leave a little over $10 million of dead money into 2022 assuming this is his last year. At least that's what the weasel on ESPN reported.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Ark breaks the board and Ben redoes his contract. I blame Ark.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
I love when Ben consistently proves people wrong. He still has some left in the tank and can’t wait to see once again him prove the doubters wrong again next year. With a new offense, rebuilt oline and emphasis on the run game will only benefit him and the offense.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Took a 5 mil pay cut. Doubters you have sum splainin to do Lucy!
Yeah, I guess Ben doing "anything" to help the team (and not caring about his 2021 salary) meant him still making $14 million, or almost $13 million more than the veteran minimum. What a guy. I wonder how he and his family will survive, given such a drastic show of altruism.

Yay Ben!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess Ben doing "anything" to help the team (and not caring about his 2021 salary) meant him still making $14 million, or almost $13 million more than the veteran minimum. What a guy. I wonder how he and his family will survive, given such a drastic show of altruism.

Yay Ben!
Not sure how anyone can look at it as anything but a positive for the club.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Took a 5 mil pay cut. Doubters you have sum splainin to do Lucy!
Well not really. He was due to make nothing new in his pocket if he didn't play. They met in the middle of what he was worth.
Now the real issue is where does this take us. Honestly, I am not going to lie. I will enjoy the facade as much as any of you. But that is what it is. Make no mistake about it. The Steelers are perhaps a playoff contender. Certainly not a Super Bowl contender. The Steelers need a massive overhaul. All this joyous day does is push the cleanup back another year. Enjoy!!!!!

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DANG right Ben Roethlisberger did EXACTLY what he said he was going to do. He took a pay cut to help the team. We will have to wait for more detail on the actual contract but if it holds true to 14mil, then he is making way less than a lot of QBs with-in the league and I'm talking even the medioker ones at that. Ben comes through again.

If his actual 14mil is actual cap hit, that's a $27mil savings on the cap. Like I said, we need to wait and see more detail on the contract.

EDIT: I just read that the cap savings is $15mil. still, that's a lot.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
DANG right Ben Roethlisberger did EXACTLY what he said he was going to do. He took a pay cut to help the team. We will have to wait for more detail on the actual contract but if it holds true to 14mil, then he is making way less than a lot of QBs with-in the league and I'm talking even the medioker ones at that. Ben comes through again.

If his actual 14mil is actual cap hit, that's a $27mil savings on the cap. Like I said, we need to wait and see more detail on the contract.

Salute the nation
You will have to explain your math to me. This is the way I read it. He was on the books for something like 40 million. 19 of it was new money. The cut up the 19 million part of the contract. They rewrote the 19. Got it down to 14. Saved 5 directly and remortgaged the remaining 9 or 10.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You will have to explain your math to me. This is the way I read it. He was on the books for something like 40 million. 19 of it was new money. The cut up the 19 million part of the contract. They rewrote the 19. Got it down to 14. Saved 5 directly and remortgaged the remaining 9 or 10.

Speculation on my part As i said more contract detail needed. I also read a little more and found it to be about a $15mil cap savings.

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
So, did he actually take a pay cut?
Yes. Salary + bonuses for this year was scheduled to be $19M. He took a $5M "pay cut" to bring that down to $14M. Restructured his contract so that his salary was Vet Min and spread the remaining $12+M over 4 years in the form of a signing bonus on a contract that has voidable years.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Should have paid Ben in CDN funds ..... then we could afford an O line upgrade & that Najee (Franco II ) Harris guy in the draft

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Well not really. He was due to make nothing new in his pocket if he didn't play. They met in the middle of what he was worth.
Now the real issue is where does this take us. Honestly, I am not going to lie. I will enjoy the facade as much as any of you. But that is what it is. Make no mistake about it. The Steelers are perhaps a playoff contender. Certainly not a Super Bowl contender. The Steelers need a massive overhaul. All this joyous day does is push the cleanup back another year. Enjoy!!!!!
Thankfully he can be easily replaced, just like Bradshaw was. Thankfully it only took almost 25 years to win that One For The Thumb.

It isn't setting a thing back with the team. It's the best opportunity to field the best possible team they can. We will see how some other contract restructures play out and the draft.

If you want to talk about wasted years and setting the team back, I'd look at the coaching the last 12 years.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Ok that’s done! Thanks Ben!
Now the work begins if we’re serious about one more shot. A couple more restructures , DeCasto and maybe Tuitt saves a bit. Now some dead wood cuts, Haden, Bince Williams, Ebron, that saves about 15 million or so.
Can we then extend Sutton,Hilton, and Feiler and maybe just maybe work out a deal for Bud.
The odd man out unfortunately I think would be JuJu but he can be replaced in the draft hopefully.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok that’s done! Thanks Ben!
Now the work begins if we’re serious about one more shot. A couple more restructures , DeCasto and maybe Tuitt saves a bit. Now some dead wood cuts, Haden, Bince Williams, Ebron, that saves about 15 million or so.
Can we then extend Sutton,Hilton, and Feiler and maybe just maybe work out a deal for Bud.
The odd man out unfortunately I think would be JuJu but he can be replaced in the draft hopefully.

My gut is saying Haden won't be cut,...... restructure yes but not cut.

EDIT: Sutton and Hilton are UFA so we can't extend but could sign.

Salute the nation

6Lombardis

Reaction score

Yay Ben!
Say what you want but 5 million dollars he was set to get in 2021 is now not there for him. This doesn’t happen often, so he does deserve credit for this gesture.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I was expecting something more significant, like playing for a free Subway after every game. Maybe throw in some Doritos and a drink for a W.