• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger signs with Pittsburgh Steelers for 2021 NFL season

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it’s a positive, but it’s like getting the six inch when you’re hoping for the twelve inch. Or that’s what she said.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how we got $15M in savings. We had only $19M we could clear this year if he was cut entirely, and he took a cut to $14M so there is $5M in savings

The other $10M has to be pro rated payment across a few years so let's figure it out. I'm rounding for ease of numbers:

$14M contract:
$1.1M in salary This is against the cap this year
$12.9M Signing bonus (to be prorated over time)
$3.225/yr prorated over 4 years
This year he is $4.3M against the cap subtracted from the $19M he was going to cost, gives us the $15M in savings or here $15.7M

This is a fantastic contract. It cuts his dead cap considerably and spreads it out a bit, so next year, if he retires or is cut, the pro rated remainder of his salary cap is only $9.675M That is a very affordable out for a franchise QB who had a $40+M dead cap projected for this year. He is now counting just shy of $26M

SteveA

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess Ben doing "anything" to help the team (and not caring about his 2021 salary) meant him still making $14 million, or almost $13 million more than the veteran minimum. What a guy. I wonder how he and his family will survive, given such a drastic show of altruism.

Yay Ben!
Dude, You seriously think he should risk injury for a million a year? 14 million a year is a good deal...that's a 27 million pay cut...Pretty ******* substantial...

Reactions: GMC

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, You seriously think he should risk injury for a million a year? 14 million a year is a good deal...that's a 27 million pay cut...Pretty ******* substantial...
You do realize that the 15 mil bonus was already owed to him from prior restructuring. He took a million less than he was owed, and agreed to play for free this year. If the other reports are true.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, I’ll get excited if his deep ball is moderately accurate this season and he can pass more than 5 yards down the field consistently this year. I’m of the opinion that he is pretty much done as a professional, and the better option would have been to start the rebuild. I appreciate all that he has done for the Steelers, but it’s past time to hang it up.

Stewey

Reaction score
Ben could save 3 drowning puppies, rescue kids from a burning building and people on here would ***** that he didn't make it to church on Sunday.

Not even remotely true.
To quote Adrian Peterson...what it sounds like here is much closer to "the NFL is like modern day slavery" . Poor Ben.

Or you guys can can find some rationale in "Sure NBA Players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too." -Patrick Ewing. Poor Ben, he's got so much stuff still left to buy and now he's out $5mil!

Next thing to come up which is also not even remotely true is that I'm a "hater".
I was expecting something more significant, like playing for a free Subway after every game. Maybe throw in some Doritos and a drink for a W.

I hear ya. Ben has mouth's to feed too.

Thats funny considering Ben could buy a Subway franchise. Many Subway franchises!

Last edited:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben reduces what was owed him from $19 million to $14 million and we still have people saying he does nothing for the team and didn't take a pay cut. Per the numbers released, he not only took a pay cut but he then spread the remaining over several years to make the cap hits as low as possible. Haters will be haters. You're probably the ones that don't think Ben should be in the HOF as well.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
so if Ben had retired or was just cut, the cap hit for this season would've been about the same than it is with him coming back and reworking his deal?
So we could've had Mason or Haskins starting in 2021, or Ben at roughly the same cap hit, and people are still actually bitching?

Like all the morons on the radio, complaining that this pushes the post Ben plan back one season. Who gives a ****, the post Ben replacement isn't on the roster right now anyways.

Last edited:

skline00

Reaction score
I agree fogdoctor! Big Ben signed gives us a chance. No Ben NO CHANCE- period.

We all know that this is Ben's last year but for the rest of the team let's see if they step up.

I like what I'm hearing from Joe Haden. Sounds like he is willing to restructure his contract to enable more signings.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't wait to see how free agency and the draft turn out. I'm starting to get a little fired up for next season already.

Some of Ben's comments also hinted that he is back to getting ready for next season - meaning he has started training already. Good news all around if that's the case. I want to start seeing some training videos of Ben working out like Deebo used to. That'll really fire up the fans.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Love it or hate it (suck it up) he is a STEELERS player and I'm wishing / expecting the best possible. Some here seem to forget that the decision is made weather agree or not. Some also want him to fail so they can come back and say "I TOLD YOU SO" . I want BEN doing the things he needs to do to be the best possible, I want the team to do what they need to do to be the best ever and that includes BEN's restructure and play.

Salute the nation

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Can't wait to see how free agency and the draft turn out. I'm starting to get a little fired up for next season already.

Some of Ben's comments also hinted that he is back to getting ready for next season - meaning he has started training already. Good news all around if that's the case. I want to start seeing some training videos of Ben working out like Deebo used to. That'll really fire up the fans.
yep, same here, can't wait to see the "blood bath" of cuts when they start.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Thankfully he can be easily replaced, just like Bradshaw was. Thankfully it only took almost 25 years to win that One For The Thumb.

It isn't setting a thing back with the team. It's the best opportunity to field the best possible team they can. We will see how some other contract restructures play out and the draft.

If you want to talk about wasted years and setting the team back, I'd look at the coaching the last 12 years.
I would say this is really my point. You can spruce this up any way you want it and Tomlin would find a way to **** it up. Ben just gives you the appearance of the silk purse from the sows ear. The team needs an overhaul. BADLY. Ben will give you the best chance to win 8-10 games next year which would put the team out of contention for a high draft pick and keep cool shades running the ship. Which ultimately IS THE PROBLEM.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I would say this is really my point. You can spruce this up any way you want it and Tomlin would find a way to **** it up. Ben just gives you the appearance of the silk purse from the sows ear. The team needs an overhaul. BADLY. Ben will give you the best chance to win 8-10 games next year which would put the team out of contention for a high draft pick and keep cool shades running the ship. Which ultimately IS THE PROBLEM.
It will take multiple years of doing awful to get us a coaching change. I am mentally prepared for the Steelers to look like complete *** soon.

I suppose it's wishful thinking on my part. If this team can somehow manage a halfway decent OL and running attack, then they have a sliver shot next season to go all the way. I say sliver because they could win in spite of the coaching. Who knows, maybe they could actually battle plan when things start going stale late in the season. Plan A ,Plan B, Plan C,Plan D

That'd be great. Right now every year is Plan A installed early and never deviated from throughout the season. Teams get plenty of film and then it's crash&burn when they have you all figured out.

It's a long time of frustration here. I'm pretty sure last year did me in with that epic collapse. That was just embarrassing and pretty pathetic. It's the standard I am used to now.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
It will take multiple years of doing awful to get us a coaching change. I am mentally prepared for the Steelers to look like complete *** soon.

I suppose it's wishful thinking on my part. If this team can somehow manage a halfway decent OL and running attack, then they have a sliver shot next season to go all the way. I say sliver because they could win in spite of the coaching. Who knows, maybe they could actually battle plan when things start going stale late in the season. Plan A ,Plan B, Plan C,Plan D

That'd be great. Right now every year is Plan A installed early and never deviated from throughout the season. Teams get plenty of film and then it's crash&burn when they have you all figured out.

It's a long time of frustration here. I'm pretty sure last year did me in with that epic collapse. That was just embarrassing and pretty pathetic. It's the standard I am used to now.
No offense, but I would say that is excessively wishful thinking. They will win 8-10 games, maybe a wildcard team. Go no further than last year.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I said in an earlier post a few posts up, now the work begins. I’m still trying to wrap my head around what the goal is here or the plan. You have a ****** OL that must be improved, no feature RB, a half assed inconsistent non blocking TE, we will lose JuJu, add all that to a 39 year old QB. Oh and did I add hardly any cap money to spend. So what the hell is the plan I ask you Art II? You can’t fix all these offensive problems in one draft and little money to spend in F/A.
You have to dump guys like old Haden, over payed Ebron, Bince Williams, and even that only gives you about 15 million.
You need to be able to keep Sutton and Hilton your youth and future, and if you lose Bud that weakens this defense. Highsmith I think will be pretty good but not in same league as Bud. He’s just not!
I just don’t know what it is they are trying to do here and not real sure they do either.
You’re going to have a statue in Ben back there with a patchwork OL which to me is a recipe for disaster. As much as I like Ben imo it was time to move on and rebuild. Take a step back before you can move forward. We’re not going anywhere with Ben or Mason so why are we going through all of this?
They cannot be serious about a final run with Ben. That window has been shut down hard.
For this to work Ben would need a solid OL, a solid RB or two, a dependable and consistent pass catching TE who can block, and I don’t see any of this on the team. Yes some can be fixed through the draft, and maybe a cheap couple F/A’s but idk, tall order imo. I would have preferred moving on from Ben and starting the rebuild process.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Not even remotely true.
To quote Adrian Peterson...what it sounds like here is much closer to "the NFL is like modern day slavery" . Poor Ben.

Or you guys can can find some rationale in "Sure NBA Players make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too." -Patrick Ewing. Poor Ben, he's got so much stuff still left to buy and now he's out $5mil!

Next thing to come up which is also not even remotely true is that I'm a "hater".

I hear ya. Ben has mouth's to feed too.

Thats funny considering Ben could buy a Subway franchise. Many Subway franchises!
The guy gave up 5 mil to play another season. how many qbs would do this? at least give him a bit of credit

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
yep, same here, can't wait to see the "blood bath" of cuts when they start.
He is making less this year than an average ufa qb would.... a good one would be making way over that....

VERY true madinsomniac and no one is shoveling money under the table like they did for t*mmyb*y, you know.... the convicted cheater who ***** goats.

Salute the nation

deljzc

Reaction score
Overthecap.com has a nice write-up on the details. And explains how the Steelers can reduce the dead money next year once Ben decides to retire (assuming it is after this season).

I mean, I don't share any optimism of some that we are anything more than an above average team with no chance at a deep playoff run, but as far as maintaining the status quo and Tomlin/Ben getting another "non-losing season" feather in their caps, good for them.

It certainly pushes off the inevitable one more season. But I still strongly feel this team will never win another championship until Roethlisberger, Tomlin & Colbert are all long gone. And with Art II running the ship, I have no idea when that will happen. Could be another decade.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Thank you Ben for the car cut of 5 million, Now let's see if Colbert can get Eddie Lacy and get a better line for your last year here.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can look at it as anything but a positive for the club.
It's not a positive or a negative for the club. It's saving the Steelers a mere 5 million dollars, and they have decided to stand pat with a 39-year-old quarterback who was 1-4 over his last 5 games.

Whether you (and the other scads of Ben lovers piling on me because I *gasp!* don't think Ben is bending over backwards for the sake of the team) want to accept it or not, he just didn't play very well at the end of last season. You can blame the line, you can blame the running game, you can blame it on whatever else you feel like (except Ben, of course), but the fact remains that his 82.7 quarterback rating in his last six games happens to be the exact same number as the career rating of his backup, Mason Rudolph. The same guy who played better against Cleveland the week before than Ben did in the first round.

Ben is not the future, he is the past. He is a shell of what once made him great. Praying that everything somehow changes in 2021 (now that he's yet another year older and slower, and even less apt to move with the football, to the point where he is almost unwilling to run a quarterback sneak) isn't going to alter reality. It's simply going to delay the inevitable.