• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Benjamin or Dennard

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Denard, there's enough depth at WR to get a good one later

ark steel

Reaction score
Dennard by a long shot. I'd take Dennard, Gilbert or Moseley over Benjamin at 15.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Trade down. Dennard is probably the pick which would fit this regimes motto of picking average athletes too early. I'm not a fan of either unles it's our second round pick.

I'm hoping now that Manziel, Carr, and Bridgewater make it out of the top 10 so teams like Cleveland try to move up later in the first. Or maybe Oakland goes Watkins first but gives is their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 2015 top ten pick for our first to grab Johnny Football. That would be awesome lol

Max Power

Forefather
Reaction score
Dennard is the smoke screen for what we're really after. Won't be a WR.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Dennard I suppose would be BPA,

But if it were Dennard vs. Ebron- that's a different question...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
it will be tough to trade down this draft, don't get your hopes high on that scenario to happen

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
At 15 dennard. Benjimin is not a top 30 pick. If we take ebron I'm gonna throw a browns fan through my TV . . .

ark steel

Reaction score
At 15 dennard. Benjimin is not a top 30 pick. If we take ebron I'm gonna throw a browns fan through my TV . . .

I'd be pretty made passing up on Eiffert last year only to take Ebron this year.

Vader

Reaction score

This. Benjamin has holes you could drive a truck through. I'll take Dennard before Ebron (another guy that can't catch) or Benjamin.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
This. Benjamin has holes you could drive a truck through. I'll take Dennard before Ebron (another guy that can't catch) or Benjamin.

Also, where are you reading that Ebron "cant catch"? Knock him for his ability to block- but saying he has no hands? c'mon breh..

skialta

Reaction score
From what I remember, Eifert didnt exactly set the world on fire last year.

that's the only thing that SOMEWHAT made me feel a little better. i think he'll end up being a better player at the next level than ebron though, just because i've seen a lot of unc local games here

ark steel

Reaction score
From what I remember, Eifert didnt exactly set the world on fire last year.

He didn't, but we were starting the season without Heath who had 8 TD catches the prior year and Wallace who had 8 TD catches the prior year. For those games were were missing Heath and the guy we brought in to hold down the spot, we sure could have used a TE that could block and catch. I think Eifert would have had better numbers with us than he did at Cinncinnati.

From what I understand, Eiffert fits what we want a TE to do better than Ebron in that he is a better blocker than Ebron.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
He didn't, but we were starting the season without Heath who had 8 TD catches the prior year and Wallace who had 8 TD catches the prior year. For those games were were missing Heath and the guy we brought in to hold down the spot, we sure could have used a TE that could block and catch. I think Eifert would have had better numbers with us than he did at Cinncinnati.

From what I understand, Eiffert fits what we want a TE to do better than Ebron in that he is a better blocker than Ebron.

I dont disagree with you. But you do realize that the knock on Eifert last year was his blocking ability? Eifert is also slower than Ebron (4.60 vs 4.68). Eifert was also notorious for drops- much more than Ebron is.

My point is- We already have a bevy of blocking TE's on the roster, but not a single one fits the hybrid TE that creates mismatch problems throughout the league. Also, I think Ebron is much more closer to a Jimmy Graham than Eifert was considered last year. You can easily run a 2 set TE scheme and drive teams crazy- but also it would fill RZ target we are looking for.

Listen, I understand he is not the top pick. I would love to have Gilbert or Evans. I would be indifferent to Dennard or Benjamin. But I think Mosley or Ebron both address needs and BPA

Last edited:

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
We need a round 1 DB more than any other position. Dennard is that guy.

ark steel

Reaction score
I dont disagree with you. But you do realize that the knock on Eifert last year was his blocking ability? Eifert is also slower than Ebron (4.60 vs 4.68). Eifert was also notorious for drops- much more than Ebron is.

My point is- We already have a bevy of blocking TE's on the roster, but not a single one fits the hybrid TE that creates mismatch problems throughout the league. Also, I think Ebron is much more closer to a Jimmy Graham than Eifert was considered last year. You can easily run a 2 set TE scheme and drive teams crazy- but also it would fill RZ target we are looking for.

Listen, I understand he is not the top pick. I would love to have Gilbert or Evans. I would be indifferent to Dennard or Benjamin. But I think Mosley or Ebron both address needs and BPA

I may have misunderstood some analysis then, because my understanding was that Eiffert wasn't bad at blocking and Ebron is. I haven't watched either, just going by what I have read and/or been told. Or I am just plain mistaken.

"We already have a bevy of blocking TE's". Well, I guess we could get into the quality of those not named Heath, but I don't remember being impressed with any of them. I also don't remember the timing of the Spaeth injury related to the draft, but I never held much hope he was going to be very much better than what we had. I felt Eiffert fit the bill for what we needed immediately, could learn from Heath and take over when Heath is ready to go. Maybe Ebron can, too. Who knows.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
We need a round 1 DB more than any other position. Dennard is that guy.

This is the argument I dont get... Why we HAVE to get a DB in the 1st

1.) We are probably drafting 2 CB's, so do you have to invest in one in the first round?
2.) The front 7 is as important as anything, so why isnt Mosley even an option?
3.) The passing defense was actually top 10 last year and got better with Mike Mitchell
4.) In fact, total defense was ranked 12th vs. our offense ranked 20th. So why completely ignore a top receiver or linemen in the 1st?

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Eifert blocks like an extra OT so I'm not sure where you are getting that. That was his strength. He had good speed and hands (not jimmy graham or gonzo) but good. Ebron can't block, catch, and isn't an elite athlete. Pass.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
whomever we take, I just hope there's someone to ***** about it.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Eifert blocks like an extra OT so I'm not sure where you are getting that. That was his strength. He had good speed and hands (not jimmy graham or gonzo) but good. Ebron can't block, catch, and isn't an elite athlete. Pass.

Tyler Eifert's NFL draft profile last year:

Weaknesses
Lean receiver-like build. Does not play with consistent explosiveness and leverage when blocking in-line, will get pulled down by NFL ends and miss reach-blocks against quicker ends. Still growing as a blocker and needs to use better angles. Stronger linebackers will rip off his blocks and ride him off his route when he does not use his hands effectively. Allows throws into his body on occasion, will drop the ball when trying to run before securing.

What about this analysis suggest that Eifert was a 'strong blocker'?

Ebron's drop rate is much higher than I realized, but he makes several really difficult amazing catches which tells me its more a matter of concentration...

All I am saying is that all of you who were comfortable drafting Eifert last year should have no problem with Ebron at 1.15

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
not saying I want Ebron (prefer Dennard, Gilbert or even trade down and take Allen Robinson), but Ebron isn't exactly a **** player.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/eric-ebron?id=2543466

Bottom Line
Highly athletic, highly productive "F" tight end dripping with upside and mismatch capability. Ebron might not be in the "freak" category, but his speed, movement skills, hands and run-after-catch skill puts him in the next tier, as he has ample ability to be a playmaker at the next level.