• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Benny Snell: “I’m just keeping my head down and working”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
If this past year’s NFL Draft told the Pittsburgh Steelers fan base anything, it was what direction this team is going to go as an offense. In selecting running back Najee Harris, the organization seemingly told Steeler Nation that there is going to be a sole focus on the running game for the upcoming season. The move itself gives this offense a weapon in the backfield behind future Hall of Fame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and this respected passing attack.

The Steelers are going to do everything in their power to become a more balanced offensive attack in 2021. The organization would love nothing more than to create an offensive game plan that veers more toward the rushing attack than anything else. If this is the case, Harris is surely the type of running back that can carry the ball more than 20 times a game effectively. Being reliant solely on Harris’s ability to carry the load is a huge ask for any type of player to endure, especially a rookie. If this rushing attack is going to be all in for the upcoming season, the coaching staff is going to have to prepare for anything that will come their way, no matter the situation.

All eyes are going to be on Harris for this upcoming season in hopes of him being able to take this offense by storm. The Steelers do have a crowded backfield as sort of the support staff for Harris and the Steelers rushing attack plans. The Steelers did sign free agent, Kalen Ballage to a one-year deal with a chance to make the final 53 as a back up — add that to an already crowded backfield of Anthony McFarland, Jaylen Samuels and Benny Snell Jr., and it may be safe to say one guy may not make the final cut.

Last year’s backup running back, Benny Snell Jr. was asked about the potential of him making the final 53-man roster in an already congested backfield. The 23 year old, 3rd year veteran responded in the best possible way:

“Honestly, I can say I’m taking it as a part of my journey,” Snell said. “I never have settled and been comfortable, you know that. This is my job now, you know. Another thing I keep in mind was the Steelers picked me; I didn’t pick the Steelers so I’m ride and dying about where I’m at. When it’s time to work, it’s time to work. I feel like, even on top of us having Najee, you can’t just do one back for the whole season and hustle. I definitely know that roads and big-time moments are going to come up and I’m going to make sure I’m ready for them. I’m just keeping my head down and working.”

Personally, I am excited to see the potential of these talented running backs and how they all play together. Harris is going to be the number one guy, that is a given, but no matter who is placed on the depth chart below him, there is going to be someone with talent who has the ball in their hands. Not only is this running back room a talented one, it is one filled with many different styles of play at that position, styles that potentially pair well with Harris’s style of play — which is all this organization can ask for.

Who would you like to see make the final 53? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the only two safe are Harris & McFarland and McFarland is because of his speed. Samuals is as good as gone and it comes down to Snell or Ballage for the #2 spot. I suggest Benny you keep that head up once in awhile if not just for "vision" puposes.

Salute the nation

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe Benny will be safe in the cuts. He'll be the #2 back.

If I were Samuels or Ballage, I'd be looking into how to cheaply break the lease on my apartment. McFarland? dude runs like his hair and feet are on fire, but needs to be more consistent.

I can see Harris-Snell as the 1-2 punch, with a 3rd back being Samuels due to versatility (though he lacks a lot of speed and power) while Ballage and McFarland battle for that 4th RB spot.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the stable will consist of Harris, McFarland, Ballage, Snell and D. Watt. Ballage is possibly the next best back to Harris and will probably wind up as the number 2 guy.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Great attitude Benny. Exactly what you need to do. Harris needs to be great, but hopefully Tomlin has learned a bit of wisdom and won't destroy the kid by running him every series. You need complimentary backs.

Absolutely. And Snell is a good complimentary back. Never understood the dislike for Snell. Always runs hard and falling forward. Good option for short-yardage and goal-line situations, and if they actually utilize Derek Watt, even better.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Last year Snell seemed to get better the more they used him but when he’d get warmed up and rolling then HCMCS* would take him out.

* Head Coach Mikey Cool Shades

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Last year Snell seemed to get better the more they used him but when he’d get warmed up and rolling then HCMCS* would take him out.

* Head Coach Mikey Cool Shades

WhoAly ****/chyt/shyite now we have

SBWHCMVLTHCMCS

can't wait for the season to start and using this moniker to identify him.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I will be shocked if Samuels still is on the roster come the cuts. Just think his play has declined. Ballage is a wait and see too. The two bubble players IMO at the position. I think Snaill and McFastland will battle for the two spot.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
With how thin we are at TE I could see J Sam as the 3rd TE/H back, emergency RB and special teamer SBWCMVLTHCMCS loves some position versatility...it’s just stupid enough to happen. I really hope they find an option from the cuts better than this.

If J Sam is looked at purely as a RB he better fit Canada’s system like a glove to stick around.

I think the battle is primarily Ballage brought in to push Snell a bit and one of these two likely the odd man out.