• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Big Ben contract

Wingman

Reaction score
Also makes sense from an injury perspective as well. Should he take a bad hit or have something happen to his arm this season he will be worth a drastically different price than he would be other wise. Should any of the two scenarios I mentioned above come to pass he may not get signed to an extension until he can show himself to be healthy,

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
At least it was a quiet offseason for him.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Also makes sense from an injury perspective as well. Should he take a bad hit or have something happen to his arm this season he will be worth a drastically different price than he would be other wise. Should any of the two scenarios I mentioned above come to pass he may not get signed to an extension until he can show himself to be healthy,

This.

And lets be honest- players perform better when they have an upcoming contract year

JupiterBnG

Banned
Reaction score
I know the logical argument is that these guys are players who (usually) know they have to maximize their earnings while they still can, but it seems to me that certain players genuinely are interested in taking less money to stay with a team. Ben seems like one of those guys. He consistently says Pittsburgh is where he wants to be, the Rooney's say they want him to finish his career here, and he's certainly had a couple of opportunities now where he could have told the Steelers he wanted to try his luck and test the FA waters, but he's always stepped up and signed the extension without any grumbling, as far as I can remember. I just don't see any scenario other than catastrophic injury where Ben doesn't play here for another 3-5 years at least before retiring as a Steeler.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I say smart move as they are keeping talks open with Ben R.. As long as the communication is there, it will work out. BR is matured, a lot, since the allegation(s). He is the best QB our steelers have had in a long time. KEEP him as they will, PAY him as they will !!!!

Salute the nation

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
If memory serves, Ben took every snap last year and this year the OL and running game should be even better.
I think it's more a matter of 1) the team needs to see where they are with the cap next year and 2) "Hey Ben, you notice that Joe Flacco had another ****** year since he got the big money because they can't afford to keep anyone good around him?"

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If memory serves, Ben took every snap last year and this year the OL and running game should be even better.
I think it's more a matter of 1) the team needs to see where they are with the cap next year and 2) "Hey Ben, you notice that Joe Flacco had another ****** year since he got the big money because they can't afford to keep anyone good around him?"

I think your factors are correct, but need to ad in one big factor as well. Ben Rothlesburger wants to be a STEELER!! Not go anywhere else and retire a full true steeler.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben contract year, hell the Steelers have a good as chance as anyone to go to the big dance.

(drinking the kool aid)