• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Blow it up

ChampYINZ

Reaction score
It’s time. CUT Ben, pouncey, any high priced vet let Villanueva walk. Stink for awhile and rebuild through draft. Window is closed. Officially.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
They are stuck with Ben and his enormous salary for '21. Next year will be his swann song season. Maybe Tomlin will follow. This team needs a cleansing from top to bottom. A serious gutting.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
ChampYINZ;783580]It’s time. CUT Ben, pouncey, any high priced vet let Villanueva walk. Stink for awhile and rebuild through draft. Window is closed. Officially.

Well we can roll the dice in the playoffs. Then it's over. I had a thread 2021, the year the window slams shut. As usually the homers hated that thread. Looks like I'm trending correct....AGAIN. Who are these homers, hint-hint they aren't posting much today.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach, the window has been shut for years.

johngaenzler

Reaction score
There is clearly an issue with motivation with this offense and no killer instinct. That has been lacking under Tomlin as far as I’m concerned. The lack of a ground game is hurting Ben more than anyone because his receivers can’t really get open. I suggested we grab Fournette when he was available early in the season but no one thought that was a good idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddler

Reaction score
Blown up may be too strong a word for it because there are still some very good players on this team but Ben has to go and our entire Offensive coaching staff has to be replaced. We need a new QB, a TE and some olinemen. More like a serious renovation than a rebuild.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Any year you make the playoffs, it's not shut. The team will make the playoffs this year.

Here is my pre-combine first mock draft.

I'm guessing we will pick between 23-24

Round 1 ) QB Trask A rapidly improving player putting up some impressive numbers in the SEC. Ben retires, we pick up 40 million in cap space.

Round 2 ) Harris. This would be a great pick. A big back with speed and catching ability

Round 3 OG Leaterhwood. Big and strong, he'll give the running game push. Can play RT in the pros. Plays LT at Alabama. Best suited for guard in the Pro's.

Round 4. WR Anthony Schwartz. 6 feet tall. Has legit 4.27 speed.- 4.34 speed. A gamble pick.

Round 4 ) Projected Comp pick. TE Polijan. Very tall. Good hands. A former QB Upside left to fill as a blocker.

Round 6 ) Projected Comp pick C Morrissey. All ACC. Team captain at Pitt.

Round 7 ) BPA Safety

Round 7 ) BPA Developmental OT

Round 7 ) BPA ILB

*There is a chance we'll get another 6th round comp pick for losing Matakevich.

SteveA

Reaction score
YOU DON"T BLOW UP IN THE NFL....You re-tool

madinsomniac

Reaction score
It’s time. CUT Ben, pouncey, any high priced vet let Villanueva walk. Stink for awhile and rebuild through draft. Window is closed. Officially.

This isn’t the Steelers way and they will never do it... thats just the stated facts every time people bring it up... and they do periodically... back in 00 this was a big topic and then 01 happened... heck i think its been said a couple times in the tomlin era...

The front office quotes always say they are never going full rebuild... they will tweak and trim but they aren’t going to tank

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Been said by numerous people on here for years, the Steelers will not win another SB as long as Tomlin is the HC. Wash, Rinse, Repeat...every year it is the same story

Muddler

Reaction score
Any year you make the playoffs, it's not shut. The team will make the playoffs this year.

Round 1 ) QB Trask A rapidly improving player putting up some impressive numbers in the SEC. Ben retires, we pick up 40 million in cap space.

Round 2 ) Harris. This would be a great pick. A big back with speed and catching ability

Round 3 OG Leaterhwood. Big and strong, he'll give the running game push. Can play RT in the pros. Plays LT at Alabama. Best suited for guard in the Pro's.

I don't know about Trask. Would rather have Wilson if he drops or maybe even Mac Jones. And while Najee Harris would look great in Black and Gold, Benny Snell Football showed me something last night - I think he may have gotten faster this year. IMO we need a playmaker at TE BAD and that's the direction I would go in the second if Friermuth drops to us. Would love Pitts but that's a pipe dream,. We'd hoped we got that in Ebron but he has pretty much lived up to his stone hands reputation, and the Vanimal is just a blocker. Gotta fit some Oline picks in early as well.

kev4heels

Reaction score

Round 4. WR Anthony Schwartz. 6 feet tall. Has legit 4.27 speed.- 4.34 speed. A gamble pick.

Round 4 ) Projected Comp pick. TE Polijan. Very tall. Good hands. A former QB Upside left to fill as a blocker.

Round 6 ) Projected Comp pick C Morrissey. All ACC. Team captain at Pitt.

Round 7 ) BPA Safety

Round 7 ) BPA Developmental OT

Round 7 ) BPA ILB

*There is a chance we'll get another 6th round comp pick for losing Matakevich.

I will bet you NONE of your first 3 picks will be around when it comes time to pick in each round.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben retires, we pick up 40 million in cap space.

Where are you magically finding this $40 million? The actual number is much closer to 19, so not the financial windfall you are selling.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
The window hasn't been open since losing to Tim Tebow in the playoffs. When Ben goes at the end of this year or next, **** gets ugly then.

Blue chip QB’s are really hard to find. I'd go back to power running behind a nasty OL. It's going to certainly take some building and suffering.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Where are you magically finding this $40 million? The actual number is much closer to 19, so not the financial windfall you are selling.

The + 40 million is if Ben retires. We pick up that much in cap space.

Last edited:

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Been said by numerous people on here for years, the Steelers will not win another SB as long as Tomlin is the HC. Wash, Rinse, Repeat...every year it is the same story

And every year, including this one, it is true.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I will bet you NONE of your first 3 picks will be around when it comes time to pick in each round.

If we are picking 23rd, how do you know? Trask is the 4th QB on the board in some areas.

For example Walter Football has Trask going 30th. Drafttek has him going at pick #34. We are likely picking sooner that that.

Draft Tek has Leatherwood at pick #77. Using these two websites a a benchmark, you'd lose the bet Kev4heels.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't know about Trask. Would rather have Wilson if he drops or maybe even Mac Jones. And while Najee Harris would look great in Black and Gold, Benny Snell Football showed me something last night - I think he may have gotten faster this year. IMO we need a playmaker at TE BAD and that's the direction I would go in the second if Friermuth drops to us. Would love Pitts but that's a pipe dream,. We'd hoped we got that in Ebron but he has pretty much lived up to his stone hands reputation, and the Vanimal is just a blocker. Gotta fit some Oline picks in early as well.

I have seen Trask play full games. He's big, tough, has a great arm and can throw on the move. Good accuracy. He's also got good receivers, so factor that in. His yards per pass attempt ( 11.5 this season ) and TD to Int Ratio ( 43 TD, 5 INT ) is impressive and he's had big games vs good SEC teams.

We will never get the top pick and a top 5 pick to replace Ben is highly unlikely. So we have to take a shot on a QB in the #15-25 range for round one. With Ben's decline and his 40 million cap number, now is that time.

I would give up our #1,#2, #3, #4, and #4 for Lawerence, but neither Jax or the NY jets are that stupid.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score

No dumb dick. We dont.

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...oethlisberger-contract-cap-cutting-scenarios/

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Trask? No way we can have a QB named Trask. Hey our team dumped the Trask, Their D took out the Trask and so on and do on. Dude is going to have to change his name to Ironmonger or Steele. ;)

Last edited:

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

That doesn't include the dead money that we will not save. The Steelers only save 19m. if Ben retires.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
That doesn't include the dead money that we will not save. The Steelers only save 19m. if Ben retires.

Ben's cap # next season is 40 million. If he retires we pick up 40 million in cap space. If we cut Ben, yes we only save 19 million in cap space. I said Ben retires.

A-okay now?

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben's cap # next season is 40 million. If he retires we pick up 40 million in cap space. If we cut Ben, yes we only save 19 million in cap space. I said Ben retires.

A-okay now?

21M of next year's cap hit is the remaining portion of his original signing bonus. The money is paid but the accounting is not complete. There is no getting around the 21M hit. It is money already paid.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score

A-okay now?

If Ben retires, the Steelers only save $19 million in cap space for 2021. There is dead money from prorated signing bonus already paid.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
21M of next year's cap hit is the remaining portion of his original signing bonus. The money is paid but the accounting is not complete. There is no getting around the 21M hit. It is money already paid.

I was going on the accounting. Okay 21 Million is already spent if you are correct...even if he retires.