• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bobby Bonilla Day

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Today July 1 is Bobby Bonilla Day. Thanks Supe for the reminder on FB. Greatest contract in the history of professional sports.
I should mention that I bumped into Bobby Bonilla when he was with the Pirates. I was working at Allegheny General Hospital then and I turned a corner in a hallway and bumped into him. My head came up to his chest.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2020...PfscLMNFOUxN94ePmsEEMyGUS2WUjuWFsR56-dtF45knI

NEW YORK METS TO PAY BOBBY BONILLA $1.19M TODAY & EVERY JULY 1ST UNTIL 2035

It’s everybody’s and especially Bobby Bonilla’s best time of the year when he checks his bank account and sees a massive $1.19 million in there from the New York Mets.

Bonilla hasn’t picked up a professional baseball glove in 19 years but he’s still picking up a paycheck. The former slugger retired in 2001 with the St. Louis Cardinals, but he has been collecting a check from the Mets every year on July 1 for almost a decade.

It’s all due to a contract negotiated by his agent that will go down in history as the best athlete deal of all-time. Bonilla, a former All-Star who last played with the Mets in 1999, will be 72 when his contract with the team expires.

It went down when the Mets wanted to part ways with Bonilla in 1999, but he still had $6 million left on his contract.

Instead of paying Bonilla outright, the Mets opted to defer payments so that the money could be unwittingly invested into Madoff’s infamous Ponzi scheme.

Bonilla’s agent Dennis Gilbert negotiated with the team to defer payments until 2011, with an 8% annual interest rate.

Madoff is serving 150 years in prison for the multibillion-dollar scheme that he ran for decades.

In total, Bonilla will walk away with a $29.8 million payday because of Mets owner Fred Wilpon’s blunder.