• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Boykin Visiting Panthers

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Cornerback Brandon Boykin is visiting the Carolina Panthers on Monday, per source. The former Steeler is one of... http://es.pn/1RCCZut

Hope we keep him, but not looking good.......

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
wish we would keep him, but looks like we'll piss away another draft pick (in that trade) and waste another year.
still, there are other options available:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/available/

I am hoping one corner and safety with experience gets signed... even on a 1 year contract... a lot to hope that players with no experience can man spots...

especially on a contender

if the Steelers was far away I would say meh

let's see what transpires...

but that isn't the case......

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder how much he's asking?

Spike

Reaction score
Let him go...the coaches won't play him anyway

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
For those who are still holding out hope that the fifth-year cornerback might find his way back to Pittsburgh, however, I would urge caution over getting your hopes up he manages to find his way out of Carolina without having inked a contract, because it will not be the only visit that he intends to take.

Not long after Jeremy Fowler of ESPN initially reported the news of Boykin scheduling a visit with the Panthers, Ian Rapoport later Tweeted that Carolina was just one of four teams “looking to bring him in”, though he did not name any of the other teams potentially involved in his market, nor has there since been any further elaboration from other sources. Fowler also noted in the above article that other teams were pursuing him.

It would seem that the delay in his market might indicate that a lot of teams around the league do view him as a slot corner, as was the case in Philadelphia, and then in Pittsburgh as well, which will affect his earning potential. But now we at least know that his market is beginning to surface, and it will be interesting to see where he lands and for how much.
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/03/brandon-boykins-market-beginning-surface/

It would seem like we could sign him if we had the money and desire but I don't think the Steelers have either one and are content to let him go..

skialta

Reaction score
There's no way he doesn't sign there. No chance. He's gone

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The handling of Boykin will go down as one of the more interesting personnel moves in recent years. No chance he comes back here.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if we were going to sign him, it would have allready happened. I;m thinking he is G-O-N-E .

Salute the nation

diver

Reaction score
I hope he signs with Carolina. Perhaps this will end once and for all this little love affair some have for Brandon Boykin. The guy is average at best.

Was he better than Blake? Probably, but that isn't saying much. My fear if they re-signed Boykin is perhaps that would give them some level of comfort at the position and they would not address it like at least I think they need to. Boykin doesn't make them all that much better. Maybe a William Jackson or Alexander or Apple does.

swal75

Reaction score
Boykin is a top 5 slot corner in the league. He's so far beyond average that it's silly he didn't get more burn here.

diver

Reaction score
Boykin is a top 5 slot corner in the league. He's so far beyond average that it's silly he didn't get more burn here.

Says who? The Eagles didn't seem to think so. Neither did the Steelers. All the teams not bringing he in don't think so, either. I woulda thought he would have been one of the first guys signed with this top 5 talent.

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't see enough of him this past year to form an opinion.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And again it was Boykin who gave up the biggest pass play of the game against the Broncos. Beaten by a rookie I believe. If that had been Blake you guys would be still talking about it..

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
And again it was Boykin who gave up the biggest pass play of the game against the Broncos. Beaten by a rookie I believe. If that had been Blake you guys would be still talking about it..

Yep, I was just going to say this....and if you watch the play he was late to react to the snap looking around the Steeler secondary.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I was just going to say this....and if you watch the play he was late to react to the snap looking around the Steeler secondary.

I think with Boykin he came with a resume a pedigree if you will obviously.

In the cupboard at the corner position we had a group of store bought stale crackers.

So we as a Nation were starving for some Saltine crackers fresh, so the belief was from his past stats that he could be a Saltine somewhere along the secondary.

The Steelers saw him as a stale cracker upon practice taste tests, and when he ultimately got his chance in the most critical game, left a bad taste in our mouth.

I think they ultimately played him due to teams attacking that crumbling pass defense.

Regardless of what each individual views him as, obviously the Steelers see him as a stale dried up cracker.

Enjoy your breakfast I know most of us are starving for secondary help, at it is easy to view something with a little hope as the best Saltine crackers ever!

stay thirsty my friends...

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
personally I don't understand the hype behind this guy. If you can barely get on the field as bad s the rest of our corners are......

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The handling of Boykin will go down as one of the more interesting personnel moves in recent years. No chance he comes back here.

It's on Tomlin. We blew a 5th round pick to obtain him and didn't play him.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's on Tomlin. We blew a 5th round pick to obtain him and didn't play him.

Put that on Colbert and Tomlin. If your GM is going to make a move, the coach needs to be on board so the guy they acquire actually plays. They would have been better off picking up another cornerback off the scrap heap rather than throw away a draft pick.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
He is a solid slot but at the depth or lack we had Boykin should of been on the outside with Blake in the slot. Based on size.
This year Golsen is a perfect fit with his athlethic ability to play the slot

Frosty

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Panthers signed former Steelers and Eagles CB Brandon Boykin to a one-year contract.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Panthers signed former Steelers and Eagles CB Brandon Boykin to a one-year contract.

What unbelievable he didn't sign a 5 Year mega deal?? The rest of the NFL must not know how good this guy is

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Why didn't we sign him to a 1 year deal. Honestly, unless he said no way to the Steelers bad move by FO

ark steel

Reaction score
Why didn't we sign him to a 1 year deal. Honestly, unless he said no way to the Steelers bad move by FO

probably, unsurprising, but I am with Andrew. if he was as good as we thought he was when he came here, why is he only getting a 1-year deal? Maybe he is as good and the Steelers don't see it or, maybe, we have him overrated. Only time will tell.