• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breakdown of Johnson/Rudolph passes

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t see the point of bringing in a journeyman like Bridgewater. For what, to lead us to a 9 win season? Rudolph can do that. I say go with Rudolph and guys with upside. I don’t think Haskins will ever develop because he’s an *******, but yiu want him 3rd string, fine, at least he has arm talent.

Mariota is a good prospect. he has an elite skill set. The Oregon offense did not prepare him much for the NFL and he didn’t get great coaching at Tenn either. He spent a few years in Gruden’s more structured west coast system which is probably the first real pocket passing coaching he ever received. He has upside.

Trubisky? I guess but I think his problem is he’s a loser. He just doesn’t have any fire so he’s fine doing the minimum.

Jimmy G. San Fran will have to give Trey Lance the job next year. Jimmy’s not great but he has shown he can win a lot of games with a good defense and an offense that doesn’t need him to do too much. Next year’s Steeler offense could have a much improved, hopefully, OL and run game. They will have weapons too.

Here’s an interesting name, Baker Mayfield.

Are we sure the browns will give him the big contract? If he doesn’t pick it up down the stretch then maybe they part ways and go after Rodgers. I would not give Baker a huge contract but if he wants a good situation where he can prove himself,

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There's probably something to this line of thought. If it was just one of the WRs, you could contend it was just that guy. But, the whole group? Yeah, Hilliard has to be responsible for a good portion of not having the issues corrected. Wonder what Ward could have done with this group.
I think Ward would just shake his head. There is no way any of the WR’s on this team work half as hard ad Ward did. He had HEART, you can’t coach that.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I would go with a rookie before a retread.
Give Haskins a one year deal to complete with Rudy and the rookie, keep the best 2 and sign another “project” as #3

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...lph-and-johnson-have-faulty-wi-fi-connection/

I can agree with this assessment. I didn’t realize until I saw this that the overthrow by Rudolph on that slant that Johnson slows up to sit as if it was going to be zone but Rudolph correctly reads the safety and puts the ball where he thinks johnson will be. If johnson keeps running he has space and only a safety to beat.

All in all. I’d guess not getting first team reps hurt Rudolph’s timing with receivers. I say at this point if Roethlisberger can’t practice Thursday and Friday to just let Rudolph start vs the bolts and get as many reps as possible.
Is your first name "Sherlock"???

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Again, you are putting the blame on Rudolph. Which is fine if that’s your opinion. But if he threw to where he thought the receiver was going to be then it’s not an inaccuracy issue but a chemistry issue. Personally, I think not practicing with those starters all week then finding out Saturday that you’re getting the nod might account for a chemistry issue.
Sooo...when I said that Rudy looked terrible because he got the nod on Saturday night - e'rbody thought it was chuckle chuckle time...

Rudy is who he is and his chemistry with HIS COLLEGE TEAMMATE is terrible. Go back and look at my post about that. They connected I think twice successfully. That's pitiful.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
All fine and dandy if you are basing your opinion on a small window. I wasn't. I really mentioned what I didn't like from him there was plenty of team fail. My mindset is that he had had every opportunity to develop and is still a middling QB. I think he has a propensity to bog down in the red zone due to deficiencies. There should be no chemistry issues he has had more than his share of interaction with the offense in practice. Think of all the time Ben has missed. Sure you might have a pass here and there due to not on the same page but not sure I buy more than that. I am thinking when him and Duck went back n forth on their tug of war at QB Rudy was showing the same tendencies.
When Duck was playing it was because Mason was still showing issues from being knocked cold. Take away those games and he looks pretty good statistically speaking for a guy with only 10 starts. Remember that when we say he should have developed more he hasn't yet started the equivalent of a full season and the bulk of that was with Fichtner calling the plays. THis last game the weather turned nasty after the first drive he lost both guards and only found out he was playing the night before. I will give him some more time before I write him off. Lets see what happens with a game plan designed more for him. All that said he isn't and will never be Ben. A decent game manager who can win in the right system and with the right talent is his ceiling. Neil O'Donnell.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Sooo...when I said that Rudy looked terrible because he got the nod on Saturday night - e'rbody thought it was chuckle chuckle time...

Rudy is who he is and his chemistry with HIS COLLEGE TEAMMATE is terrible. Go back and look at my post about that. They connected I think twice successfully. That's pitiful.
Washington has been having a very hard time getting separation.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
When Duck was playing it was because Mason was still showing issues from being knocked cold. Take away those games and he looks pretty good statistically speaking for a guy with only 10 starts. Remember that when we say he should have developed more he hasn't yet started the equivalent of a full season and the bulk of that was with Fichtner calling the plays. THis last game the weather turned nasty after the first drive he lost both guards and only found out he was playing the night before. I will give him some more time before I write him off. Lets see what happens with a game plan designed more for him. All that said he isn't and will never be Ben. A decent game manager who can win in the right system and with the right talent is his ceiling. Neil O'Donnell.
I want to say O'Donnell was better at moving the ball, he also had a low interception percentage. Definitely didn't have the same red zone woes. Not sure besides their completion percentage if that is a good comparison. Far as Rudy I would be shocked if he develops more than what he is now. Not sure if I completely have written him off, but I am definitely leaning in that direction.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to say O'Donnell was better at moving the ball, he also had a low interception percentage. Definitely didn't have the same red zone woes. Not sure besides their completion percentage if that is a good comparison. Far as Rudy I would be shocked if he develops more than what he is now. Not sure if I completely have written him off, but I am definitely leaning in that direction.
I don't think the sample size is good enough to truly judge Mason either way yet. I am simply basing my feelings off looking at his first 10 starts and comparing them to other Qbs first 10 starts for both stats and record. Looked at in the blind they are not terrible at all. We have damn high expectations in this city and sometimes we are unrealistic about what a guy will do with so few starts in this league. He could have already hit his ceiling or he could still raise the level of his play quite a bit. I tend to think he still has some improving he will do if given the chance. I don't honestly know where the ceiling will be. I am having less faith that Haskins will ever rise above where he is simply on drive and commitment issues.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Also i am not sure the Redzone woes are all on Rudy the playcalling near the goaline was terrible both now and in preseason. It is like Canada was outhinking himself.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think the sample size is good enough to truly judge Mason either way yet. I am simply basing my feelings off looking at his first 10 starts and comparing them to other Qbs first 10 starts for both stats and record. Looked at in the blind they are not terrible at all. We have damn high expectations in this city and sometimes we are unrealistic about what a guy will do with so few starts in this league. He could have already hit his ceiling or he could still raise the level of his play quite a bit. I tend to think he still has some improving he will do if given the chance. I don't honestly know where the ceiling will be. I am having less faith that Haskins will ever rise above where he is simply on drive and commitment issues.
Guess we'll see as to most things I am down on, I would love them to prove me wrong. He might just get his next opportunity Sunday against a team that will score some points.