• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breakdown of Johnson/Rudolph passes

FordFairLane

Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...lph-and-johnson-have-faulty-wi-fi-connection/

I can agree with this assessment. I didn’t realize until I saw this that the overthrow by Rudolph on that slant that Johnson slows up to sit as if it was going to be zone but Rudolph correctly reads the safety and puts the ball where he thinks johnson will be. If johnson keeps running he has space and only a safety to beat.

All in all. I’d guess not getting first team reps hurt Rudolph’s timing with receivers. I say at this point if Roethlisberger can’t practice Thursday and Friday to just let Rudolph start vs the bolts and get as many reps as possible.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...lph-and-johnson-have-faulty-wi-fi-connection/

I can agree with this assessment. I didn’t realize until I saw this that the overthrow by Rudolph on that slant that Johnson slows up to sit as if it was going to be zone but Rudolph correctly reads the safety and puts the ball where he thinks johnson will be. If johnson keeps running he has space and only a safety to beat.

All in all. I’d guess not getting first team reps hurt Rudolph’s timing with receivers. I say at this point if Roethlisberger can’t practice Thursday and Friday to just let Rudolph start vs the bolts and get as many reps as possible.
I am hoping Rudy doesn't need to start again. I don't think more reps is going to get him to get those passes accurate in tight windows. If he hasn't developed by now.....

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I am hoping Rudy doesn't need to start again. I don't think more reps is going to get him to get those passes accurate in tight windows. If he hasn't developed by now.....
Well, if you think it’s all on Rudolph then that’s fine. The reports on the Ray-Ray under throw and the film breakdown on Johnson is putting some more blame on QB and Receivers not being on the same page.

What I’m saying is if Turner and Dotson are out. I think putting Roethlisberger in without a lick of practice is just a disaster waiting to happen.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, if you think it’s all on Rudolph then that’s fine. The reports on the Ray-Ray under throw and the film breakdown on Johnson is putting some more blame on QB and Receivers not being on the same page.

What I’m saying is if Turner and Dotson are out. I think putting Roethlisberger in without a lick of practice is just a disaster waiting to happen.
I don't think it is all on him but he left points out there due to inaccuracy. Ben needs to log significant reps too. Just think perhaps try the third option if Ben doesn't get those reps. We just aren't getting that spark from Rudy IMO. And we might not get it from Haskins but **** better try and fail than go with what we know doesn't work.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I don't think it is all on him but he left points out there due to inaccuracy. Ben needs to log significant reps too. Just think perhaps try the third option if Ben doesn't get those reps. We just aren't getting that spark from Rudy IMO. And we might not get it from Haskins but **** better try and fail than go with what we know doesn't work.
Again, you are putting the blame on Rudolph. Which is fine if that’s your opinion. But if he threw to where he thought the receiver was going to be then it’s not an inaccuracy issue but a chemistry issue. Personally, I think not practicing with those starters all week then finding out Saturday that you’re getting the nod might account for a chemistry issue.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
At this point of the season. Why not try whatever?
The Steelers say they feel stuck. Well, change things up.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel Rudy will play better just of the fact that he did get a full game of reps last weekend. With this week of full practice I'd think a little better timing of the receivers will follow.

Ben coming in with NO-PRACTICE is still better than Rudy with full week of practice.

Better play calling that utalizes the RB we have more will help a lot.

Possible Hat for Banner and soe playing tie as well will help either QB provided Banner can produce.

Injuries are a part of the game but they sure can cause problems with depth. We should get an injury report very soon.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Again, you are putting the blame on Rudolph. Which is fine if that’s your opinion. But if he threw to where he thought the receiver was going to be then it’s not an inaccuracy issue but a chemistry issue. Personally, I think not practicing with those starters all week then finding out Saturday that you’re getting the nod might account for a chemistry issue.
All fine and dandy if you are basing your opinion on a small window. I wasn't. I really mentioned what I didn't like from him there was plenty of team fail. My mindset is that he had had every opportunity to develop and is still a middling QB. I think he has a propensity to bog down in the red zone due to deficiencies. There should be no chemistry issues he has had more than his share of interaction with the offense in practice. Think of all the time Ben has missed. Sure you might have a pass here and there due to not on the same page but not sure I buy more than that. I am thinking when him and Duck went back n forth on their tug of war at QB Rudy was showing the same tendencies.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
All fine and dandy if you are basing your opinion on a small window. I wasn't. I really mentioned what I didn't like from him there was plenty of team fail. My mindset is that he had had every opportunity to develop and is still a middling QB. I think he has a propensity to bog down in the red zone due to deficiencies. There should be no chemistry issues he has had more than his share of interaction with the offense in practice. Think of all the time Ben has missed. Sure you might have a pass here and there due to not on the same page but not sure I buy more than that. I am thinking when him and Duck went back n forth on their tug of war at QB Rudy was showing the same tendencies.
This is the progression I’ve seen from Rudolph.

His second season when he was thrust into starting. He started off doing “ok”. He stood in the pocket and threw to where the offense indicated he should throw the ball. He showed he understood what the offense was meant to do. Reading the defense wasn’t a strong suit. And his anticipation was horrible. He consistently threw after a guy was open. He needed to see it to throw it. In college you can get away with that. In the NFL that spells interception. He then got knocked out and started having happy feet. He then started not keeping his eyes down field and threw into coverage. Something he didn’t do before.
Last year in his one start he again showed a great understanding of the offense. He threw to where the offense designed but he also read the defense better than he did before. His one mistake came when he had pressure and he threw it to his safety valve. But the Browns anticipated and jumped the route.
This last game is either one of two things. He has become very inaccurate or maybe he wasn’t on the same page with receivers. The first drive he looked very good. After that there were plenty of misses. I’m willing to give him a shot. I am not claiming he’s the heir apparent but looking at the draft there’s probably not a lot there to push him. Maybe bring in Mariota next year and let them battle it out.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
If we go into next season with rudy as the starter....i will be less than pleased
It will be a completely wasted season if they do and it'll be another year wasted of Harris.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
It will be a completely wasted season if they do and it'll be another year wasted of Harris.
There’s a lot of moving parts. Are you suggesting they just cut Rudolph and bring in or draft someone and hand them the keys? That’s a pretty risky option. ****** QB class and not going to be a lot of franchise QB’s in the market. Remember Kent Graham 🤮

I don’t think you hand Rudolph the starting position. But I think you come at it from several different ways. Former high pick with some upside like Trubisky or Mariota. Or a solid #2 who can spot start and be good enough to give competition like Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Then you can draft a guy who’s hungry and a hard worker. With that mix maybe you get the best of all and put the best player on the field.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Bring in someone like Bridgewater who can actually make it a competition AND provide solid QB play should they win the job. Hell, Fitzpatrick is almost as old as Ben. If we're being honest, Mariotta hasn't shown much of anything and is borderline a bust himself. Trubisky is a bust who the knock on is that he can't read NFL defenses. Tyrod Taylor is too up and down.
Next year's free agent QB class looks as bleak as the draft.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Pass on Bridgewater too, he’d be an overpaid backup for Rudy

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Bring in someone like Bridgewater who can actually make it a competition AND provide solid QB play should they win the job. Hell, Fitzpatrick is almost as old as Ben. If we're being honest, Mariotta hasn't shown much of anything and is borderline a bust himself. Trubisky is a bust who the knock on is that he can't read NFL defenses. Tyrod Taylor is too up and down.
Next year's free agent QB class looks as bleak as the draft.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/
I wouldn’t say Bridgewater is much competition. His skillset is probably comparable to Rudolph. Between the ears. Except Bridgewater might have the weakest arm in the NFL. He’s a great backup but a stop gap starter. I mean I’m all for bringing someone in for competition but if Bridgewater (like Fitzpatrick) beats out Rudolph we aren’t going far in the playoffs. At least Mariota and Trubisky still have a little bit of untapped physical ability that could make them viable pro bowl caliber QB’s.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I’d take a chance on Mariotta or even Tyrod before Teddy.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say Bridgewater is much competition. His skillset is probably comparable to Rudolph. Between the ears. Except Bridgewater might have the weakest arm in the NFL. He’s a great backup but a stop gap starter. I mean I’m all for bringing someone in for competition but if Bridgewater (like Fitzpatrick) beats out Rudolph we aren’t going far in the playoffs. At least Mariota and Trubisky still have a little bit of untapped physical ability that could make them viable pro bowl caliber QB’s.
Mariotta and Trubisky both have problems reading NFL level defenses. They have both shown to be pretty much a disaster at it. They have both had multiple years of starting (more than Haskins even) and neither is, or will be, a pro bowl caliber QB. Bridgewater does have a weak arm, but he's used that weak arm to toss 14 TDs to 5 Ints so far this year. Not great, not bad. Average. Which is about the best you could expect out of that group.
Colbert better see what's available in the CFL then. 'Cause FA QBs suck and the draft eligible college QBs suck.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Mariotta and Trubisky both have problems reading NFL level defenses. They have both shown to be pretty much a disaster at it. They have both had multiple years of starting (more than Haskins even) and neither is, or will be, a pro bowl caliber QB. Bridgewater does have a weak arm, but he's used that weak arm to toss 14 TDs to 5 Ints so far this year. Not great, not bad. Average. Which is about the best you could expect out of that group.
Colbert better see what's available in the CFL then. 'Cause FA QBs suck and the draft eligible college QBs suck.
Lets break things down.

Teddy Bridgewater
69 games, 59 starts
13,774 yards, 67 tds, 41 ints, 66.9% completion
782 rushing yards 10 tds

Marcus Mariota
68 games, 61 starts
13,433 yards, 77 tds, 45 ints, 62.9% completion
1,528 rushing yards 12 tds

Mitch Trubisky
54 games, 50 starts
10,618 yards, 64 tds, 37 ints, 64.1% completion
1,084 rushing yards 9 tds

Teddy and Marcus are pretty comparable in games played/started. Marcus has the edge statistically in every way minus completion percentage. Mitch is a little younger and has less games to show but has the best td to int ratio and more tds a game. Just basing things off of age and stats I would want Mitch first, Marcus second, and Teddy third.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Lets break things down.

Teddy Bridgewater
69 games, 59 starts
13,774 yards, 67 tds, 41 ints, 66.9% completion
782 rushing yards 10 tds

Marcus Mariota
68 games, 61 starts
13,433 yards, 77 tds, 45 ints, 62.9% completion
1,528 rushing yards 12 tds

Mitch Trubisky
54 games, 50 starts
10,618 yards, 64 tds, 37 ints, 64.1% completion
1,084 rushing yards 9 tds

Teddy and Marcus are pretty comparable in games played/started. Marcus has the edge statistically in every way minus completion percentage. Mitch is a little younger and has less games to show but has the best td to int ratio and more tds a game. Just basing things off of age and stats I would want Mitch first, Marcus second, and Teddy third.
Re Mariotta and Bridgewater: Teddy has 2 less starts, 300+ more yards, 2 less rushing TDs and a higher completion rate. Mariotta leads in TDs, slightly lower interception rate and rushing yards. Mariotta has the edge in mobility.
Re: Trubisky - The knock on him has been his inability to get a fundamental grasp of reading NFL level defenses. If the kid isn't smart enough to figure it out, there's no sense putting him with our WR group, who, other than JuJu, seem to have the same problem.
You have made me reassess my pecking order. Mariotta's mobility probably makes him a better fit than Bridgewater for Canada's offensive offense. Of the three, my reevaluated pecking order would be Mariotta, Bridgewater, Trubisky. With Taylor as a consolation prize.
Still think that as a group, next year's FA QB class, as it stands now, is subpar.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I personally think ike hilliard isn’t doing a great job at wr coach… merril hodge explained exactly what happened on the mccloud pass in the end zone.. it was a timing pass and mccloud saw tge coverage break dow and ran into the end zone, not the route as planned.

The last few years we have seen a lot of bad routes, dropped passes, and most irritating the wrs slow up on deep routes then try to catch up to the ball…

They lack fundamentals and none of them do scramble drills well… the more i hear these experts blame wrs the more i think that these guys need more fundamentals crammed down their throats

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Re Mariotta and Bridgewater: Teddy has 2 less starts, 300+ more yards, 2 less rushing TDs and a higher completion rate. Mariotta leads in TDs, slightly lower interception rate and rushing yards. Mariotta has the edge in mobility.
Re: Trubisky - The knock on him has been his inability to get a fundamental grasp of reading NFL level defenses. If the kid isn't smart enough to figure it out, there's no sense putting him with our WR group, who, other than JuJu, seem to have the same problem.
You have made me reassess my pecking order. Mariotta's mobility probably makes him a better fit than Bridgewater for Canada's offensive offense. Of the three, my reevaluated pecking order would be Mariotta, Bridgewater, Trubisky. With Taylor as a consolation prize.
Still think that as a group, next year's FA QB class, as it stands now, is subpar.
It’s a horse apiece. What’s your flavor. I think Mariota has probably the most upside. Teddy probably is your consistent and not going to lose any games for you. Trubisky probably is somewhere in the middle of the two. I like that Trubisky has been able to punch it in the end zone more. That’s probably been my biggest gripe with Roethlisberger. He seamlessly moves the ball between the numbers but seems to not punch it into the EZ and we settle for too many FG’s.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I personally think ike hilliard isn’t doing a great job at wr coach… merril hodge explained exactly what happened on the mccloud pass in the end zone.. it was a timing pass and mccloud saw tge coverage break dow and ran into the end zone, not the route as planned.

The last few years we have seen a lot of bad routes, dropped passes, and most irritating the wrs slow up on deep routes then try to catch up to the ball…

They lack fundamentals and none of them do scramble drills well… the more i hear these experts blame wrs the more i think that these guys need more fundamentals crammed down their throats
There's probably something to this line of thought. If it was just one of the WRs, you could contend it was just that guy. But, the whole group? Yeah, Hilliard has to be responsible for a good portion of not having the issues corrected. Wonder what Ward could have done with this group.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I wanted us to draft bridgewater and marriota when they came out if the fell to us as heir apparentd to Ben… id be fine with either competing with Rudy next year for qb