• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

BREAKING: Steelers Ink Melvin Ingram To Deal

KStilley

Contributor
Reaction score
Ingram probably also considered that it must be nice to play ifo your fans even when you're on the road

black and gold apex

Reaction score
One of our big problems keeping healthy players lets hope he stays heathy could be a big plus

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Ingram is a backup at this point in his live. Highsmith is our starter. He flashed as a rookie, and has more moves than Bud did year 2. Ingram had 7 games and ZERO sacks last season. As a rotational player, we can keep him healthy to maximize his contributions when he's on the field. It's why he chose to play with us, and Justin Houston was a no go. Houston wants to start.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Ingram is a backup at this point in his live. Highsmith is our starter. He flashed as a rookie, and has more moves than Bud did year 2. Ingram had 7 games and ZERO sacks last season. As a rotational player, we can keep him healthy to maximize his contributions when he's on the field. It's why he chose to play with us, and Justin Houston was a no go. Houston wants to start.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I don’t hate this signing, but he is a 32 year old speed edge rusher coming off a knee injury … this is only slightly less risky than signing a 32 year old running back…

the rule of thumb is if the player style and position requirements are strength and technique heavy, they tend to have long careers… if they are quickness and speed based, they drop off fast after 30…. The more head contact a position has, the quicker the reaction time dips, the legs are almost always the first thing to go…

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

Agreed. But Ingram was also injured last season. It's actually a perfect match and a no-brainer right now as Tombert love themselves some dirty scrap - once sheen. They want to mold it into steel. Steel - they'll find themselves in the lab in the early morning hours pounding their heads over it. They're brilliant that way.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Melvin Ingram's 1 year deal with Steelers is worth $4M per reports.Not sure that is backup money.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Highsmith played well as a rookie out of a small school. I expect him to make a huge leap and the starting job is his to lose. The dude played better than Bud did in his 1st 2 seasons. I'd give him every opportunity to be our next long-term starter at OLB opposite Watt. Ingram is a situational player and backup to Watt and Highsmith. He's older, slowing down, coming off an injury-riddled season, and is only signed for a year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Somehow my quote of cope got split onto its own post lol

One of two things.................

1) could be early signs of split personality.?

2) Maybe you are twice as smart as Cope........... (one of the two has to be sober when testd)

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Melvin Ingram's 1 year deal with Steelers is worth $4M per reports.Not sure that is backup money.

That's to much money in my opinion, 3mil tops. Ingrams would have signed 2.3 mil with 1.6 gauranteed and .7 incentive based on health/play time. I also have beach front property in Oklahoma southern part of state, competively priced but also an addition 30% off for Canadian Citizens.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He will need to play a hell of a lot more than 10 snaps. Watt is huge motor low gas. I would say he misses more than 10 snaps per game himself

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
dead on here. They did not bring this guy in on a one year deal to start. His last 10 sack season was 2017. While I dont expect 10 from Highsmith I do expect more than 6. And I believe he has a better chance at 10 than Ingram.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would like to think it is an open competition for the starting spot.
I would say more like who is the starting receivers and does it really matter. Ingram almost certainly gets 20-25 snaps per game. Does it matter that he says Melvin Ingram University of South Carolina on a prime time game. The team needs Highsmith to make a second year jump. They need 6-8 sacks out of him. If you add 4-5 from Ingram you get Dupree's numbers.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Watt played 83% last year. Say that he goes down to 80%. I do not see Ingram taking 50% of Highsmith's snaps, so that is high. He will definitely get 50 maybe 60 if everyone stays healthy
I was just going off of memory.. I should have looked it up lol

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I was just going off of memory.. I should have looked it up lol
Fair enough. But I don't think this is a follow the money deal. They had a massive need for a rotational player here. Actually surprising they let it go this long. At 4 million they clearly felt they had the need. I think it was a good move. A necessary move. I just don't think it says anything about Highsmith necessarily. More like what was behind him and TJ.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Fair enough. But I don't think this is a follow the money deal. They had a massive need for a rotational player here. Actually surprising they let it go this long. At 4 million they clearly felt they had the need. I think it was a good move. A necessary move. I just don't think it says anything about Highsmith necessarily. More like what was behind him and TJ.
Yeah i do worry because they loved him when he came out in the draft and they have a blind spot for guys they missed out on in the first round… if he produces great, if not then we better hope every olb stays healthy

i do admit i was worried about marsh being that high in the rotation at olb…

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Yeah i do worry because they loved him when he came out in the draft and they have a blind spot for guys they missed out on in the first round… if he produces great, if not then we better hope every olb stays healthy

i do admit i was worried about marsh being that high in the rotation at olb…
Agree here totally. It is farcical to believe you can lose a 16 million dollar per year Edge rusher (after a sever injury) and be as goo dat outside linebacker. My hope is that Ingram, improved Highsmith can offset some and the inside linebacker play is better.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah after settling down, pretty sure Cope and Sask are spot on here.

Wanted: NFL football already. o_O:cautious:

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
****, if anything this helps Highsmith. He can learn from both TJ and Melvin. Rotate those three at OLB, and we might actually be pressuring the QB late in the 4th Quarter