• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

BREAKING: Steelers Ink Melvin Ingram To Deal

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed outside linebacker, Melvin Ingram to a one-year deal, per Ian Rapoport:

Source: The #Steelers are signing FA pass-rusher Melvin Ingram to a 1-year contract to beef up the edge. The former #Chargers star lands in PIT before camp begins.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) July 19, 2021

This is a big boost in depth to position for the team. We will update yinz on contract details as they are released!

Boom pic.twitter.com/54ofYQp7Vi

— Cam Heyward (@CamHeyward) July 19, 2021

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Added another former first rounder.... SB bound!!!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
We know Ingram was limited last year, but he picked up 43 sacks between 2015 and 2019. We can hope he bounces back from his injury last year and produce in whatever role the Steelers have planned for him.

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
Good pickup. I hope he’s used properly. If he plays 10 snaps a game and can make his presence felt and is disruptive and help the defense…that’s all I expect from him

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
IF, and I really mean IF Ingram is healthy (obviously he passed the medicals) my question is 'how do you NOT START Ingram over Highsmith?'

Call me crazy but I don't even think they're in the same classroom...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
IF, and I really mean IF Ingram is healthy (obviously he passed the medicals) my question is 'how do you NOT START Ingram over Highsmith?'

Let 'em battle it out at camp. I'm sure Highsmith knows Ingram is coming in with every intention of making it a battle. As noted, "iron sharpens iron."

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Hopefully this shows the comparison feature...

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

Hopefully this shows the comparison feature...
It does. But what it doesn't take into account is that both players are a year older. For the older Ingram, coming off an injury plagued year, that might not be a good thing. For the younger Highsmith, coming off a year in the system, a year to adjust to the NFL, and an off season to prepare as a starter, that might not be a bad thing. Also, you factor in the question: "If you think Highsmith is your future Robin to TJ's Batman, do you slow his development by starting Ingram?".
If they come out of camp and it's a battle, I start the kid. If Ingram shows to be the far superior player, well, it's SB or bust this year anyway.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It does. But what it doesn't take into account is that both players are a year older. For the older Ingram, coming off an injury plagued year, that might not be a good thing. For the younger Highsmith, coming off a year in the system, a year to adjust to the NFL, and an off season to prepare as a starter, that might not be a bad thing. Also, you factor in the question: "If you think Highsmith is your future Robin to TJ's Batman, do you slow his development by starting Ingram?".
If they come out of camp and it's a battle, I start the kid. If Ingram shows to be the far superior player, well, it's SB or bust this year anyway.
I thought about that too...

I'm factoring in the second year slump....

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought about that too...

I'm factoring in the second year slump....
Eh, don't mind me .. I've got a pitcher of Bulleit and lemonade I'm working on. Or, it's working on me. I guess I'll figure it out when it's gone. lmao

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yes. One year 'prove it' deal for someone very talented and has that potential "James Farrior" vibe. I understand they're different ages and in different circumstances, but if this guy is healthy and hungry - yes please.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yes. One year 'prove it' deal for someone very talented and has that potential "James Farrior" vibe. I understand they're different ages and in different circumstances, but if this guy is healthy and hungry - yes please.
Very good rotational signing. You want capable to keep bodies fresh. Now they have that.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

I would like to think it is an open competition for the starting spot.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score