• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breaking: Steelers Sign T.J. Watt to Contract Extension

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
What. You would go into negotiations and not use your leverage? Watt has a $10 mill option this season. A tag at what $14 mill. A second tag at what $18 mill. So we get Watt for 2 more years at about $40 mill a season. Watt's team did an awesome job.
It was that the Steelers had to show Steelers present and future players they could step up when warranted. Not like there is a player of TJ's caliber drafted every year. Yeah it is pricey. The most important position opposite a QB with a player that might just be the best defensive player in the league. Perhaps top ten on both sides of the ball. No way that was going to come cheap. We can say they got off cheap initially. As rookie contracts used to be hefty.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
It was that the Steelers had to show Steelers present and future players they could step up when warranted. Not like there is a player of TJ's caliber drafted every year. Yeah it is pricey. The most important position opposite a QB with a player that might just be the best defensive player in the league. Perhaps top ten on both sides of the ball. No way that was going to come cheap. We can say they got off cheap initially. As rookie contracts just to be hefty.
I wonder what Watt's teams original numbers were? Now apparently Watt over road his agent. Again. With basically 3 yrs of control left I think the Steelers came off bad. I believe the Bell fiasco was hanging over the Steelers head and they gave in to to many concessions. I guess they had to do what they had to do.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder what Watt's teams original numbers were? Now apparently Watt over road his agent. Again. With basically 3 yrs of control left I think the Steelers came off bad. I believe the Bell fiasco was hanging over the Steelers head and they gave in to to many concessions. I guess they had to do what they had to do.
Yeah as you can replace a RB a lot easier than a stud pass rusher.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah as you can replace a RB a lot easier than a stud pass rusher.
Not my point. The Steelers could not let this turn into what the Bell fiasco did. Hence they were going to get the deal done no matter what the costs.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Not my point. The Steelers could not let this turn into what the Bell fiasco did. Hence they were going to get the deal done no matter what the costs.
Maybe. Not sure they would have anti upped if TJ didn't step in on the back end of negotiations. But I agree they had no intentions on it turning out anything remotely similar to Bell's situation.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Once this deal runs it's course, Watt won't see this kinda money again. Playing like he does for 5 years....be time to retire or take the discount. Stillers gonna have $ for Minkah? What kinda $ is he gonna want?

Steelmann

Reaction score
Once this deal runs it's course, Watt won't see this kinda money again. Playing like he does for 5 years....be time to retire or take the discount. Stillers gonna have $ for Minkah? What kinda $ is he gonna want?
Jamal Adams just signed 4 years-70 million. 38 mill guaranteed. To become the highest paid safety.

T.J. wouldn’t even get out of bed for that 🤑

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Per Florio/PFT the details of TJ's contract have emerged

1. Signing Bonus: $35.0 million.

2. 2021 Base Salary: $1.0 million, fully guaranteed. (lowers this year's cap hit to $8M)

3. 2022 Base Salary: $24.0 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2023 Base Salary: $20.0 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2024 Base Salary: $21.05 million.

6. 2025 Base Salary: $21.05 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/09/inside-the-t-j-watt-megadeal/

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
What. You would go into negotiations and not use your leverage? Watt has a $10 mill option this season. A tag at what $14 mill. A second tag at what $18 mill. So we get Watt for 2 more years at about $40 mill a season. Watt's team did an awesome job.
And piss off my entire work force? Not a chance. These guys make more money than I can ever dream of, but it's still a business about people and you still need to treat your employees right. Watt is the hardest worker on the team, is the most productive player on the team, and is one of the best players in the NFL who is just entering his prime. You better believe I give him a fair contract and if it happens to be the highest in the league, then so be it. I wouldn't try to undercut my guys to save cap space. That's second rate.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
And piss off my entire work force? Not a chance. These guys make more money than I can ever dream of, but it's still a business about people and you still need to treat your employees right. Watt is the hardest worker on the team, is the most productive player on the team, and is one of the best players in the NFL who is just entering his prime. You better believe I give him a fair contract and if it happens to be the highest in the league, then so be it. I wouldn't try to undercut my guys to save cap space. That's second rate.
So you think Watt's contract is simply....fair. Um ..ok. Yes it is a business and as a business owner(Rooney's) I think they could have done better than adding a extra 2 years at $80 mill. Just my opinion.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
So you think Watt's contract is simply....fair. Um ..ok. Yes it is a business and as a business owner(Rooney's) I think they could have done better than adding a extra 2 years at $80 mill. Just my opinion.
Watt's contract is fair. He is a top defensive player in the league and the next guy in line meaning he was going to be the highest paid defender. It's not the first time the Steelers have made a player the highest paid player at their position and it likely won't be the last.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand why people are complaining like this is affecting your personal family budget???

steelreeling

Reaction score
Per Florio/PFT the details of TJ's contract have emerged

1. Signing Bonus: $35.0 million.

2. 2021 Base Salary: $1.0 million, fully guaranteed. (lowers this year's cap hit to $8M)

3. 2022 Base Salary: $24.0 million, fully guaranteed.

4. 2023 Base Salary: $20.0 million, fully guaranteed.

5. 2024 Base Salary: $21.05 million.

6. 2025 Base Salary: $21.05 million.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/09/09/inside-the-t-j-watt-megadeal/
$80 million guaranteed? holy-S.

Have the Steelers ever guaranteed this much before?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
$80 million guaranteed? holy-S.

Have the Steelers ever guaranteed this much before?
I don't believe so. I like how they lowered the cap for this year. Love how this team manipulates the cap year in and year out.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't believe so. I like how they lowered the cap for this year. Love how this team manipulates the cap year in and year out.
What is the point of more cap space for a season that starts in 2 days?

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
What is the point of more cap space for a season that starts in 2 days?
Any cap space that is unused this year can be carried over to next year; potentially lowering the impact of the $24M TJ is Guaranteed next year by the amount of unused cap space this year.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't understand why people are complaining like this is affecting your personal family budget???
Just a message board and i put my opinion on it. What us that hard for you to understand? Watt is a great talent and they paid him. It is what it is.