• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Breaking: Steelers Sign T.J. Watt to Contract Extension

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The wait is over. The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed EDGE rusher, T.J. Watt to a monumental 4-year extension worth approximately $112 million with $80 million in guaranteed money at signing according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. This makes Watt the highest paid defensive player in NFL.

Sources: The #Steelers and star pass-rusher TJ Watt have a mega-deal. He’s going to sign a 4-year extension worth more than $112M — $28.003M average per year — with $80M fully guaranteed at signing. The highest paid defensive player in football.
💰
💰
💰

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) September 9, 2021

In his first four seasons, Watt has 214 total tackles, 49.5 sacks, 17 forced fumbles, four interceptions and been a staple of the Steelers defense. He has been voted to the Pro Bowl three times and finished in the top 3 in Defensive Player of the Year voting the last two seasons.

Watt reported to training camp, but restricted himself to side work in order to ensure that he would stay healthy and receive a deal of this magnitude.

The deal is done and the Steelers will retain their leader on defense for the foreseeable future. Expect Watt to come out well rested and hungry to prove himself worthy of this deal throughout this season and beyond.

Are you happy with the longterm deal? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
Glad it's done. The kind of $$ the NFL deals with is insane.

mdk2

Reaction score
Good for TJ. On to Buffalo now!

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like the Rooney's stepped up. That is a bunch of guaranteed money.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers have adapted with the times. Haters can suck it. Congrats TJ we will need you to play with your hair on fire sincerely Steelernation.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
So we have him for 5 more years correct?

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats TJ! That's a lot of guaranteed coin.

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
Yes!! Now get ready for a couple years of Rudolph or Haskins. Haha

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Props to both sides getting this done, but the Steelers FO stepped up big time with the guaranteed dollars. Not only is it a high value, but it is a high percentage of the total contract.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
Props to both sides getting this done, but the Steelers FO stepped up big time with the guaranteed dollars. Not only is it a high value, but it is a high percentage of the total contract.

Yeah it is. And when Derek talked about "the contract" (or something like that) on IG, I knew it was a done deal, was just a matter of when they were gonna announce it.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Surprised it's only 4 years and they gave him $80 million guaranteed although not sure how that's structured.. I'm hoping this is 4 years on top of his current year remaining so he is with us for 5 years. Glad this is done. Minkah is going to want those guarantees as well now. That's over two-thirds of the contract guaranteed. Watt should be happy because he is definitely young enough to get another huge 3 or 4-year deal after this one. The Steelers did that with Heyward so, if Watt is still healthy and playing well, they do it with him as well.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers have adapted with the times. Haters can suck it. Congrats TJ we will need you to play with your hair on fire sincerely Steelernation.
He is signed now. Glad we have him. He is one of the best. I simply think with us having basically 3 more years of control we over paid for him. Those 3 yrs could have been had at what? Around $45 mill(ish)? So we spent around $77 mill for 2 extra seasons. That is what I would have show Watt's team. Those 3 years of control. We will give them up. What are you willing to give up? We gave Watt $80 mill guaranteed. If that was a compromise what was he asking for?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
He is signed now. Glad we have him. He is one of the best. I simply think with us having basically 3 more years of control we over paid for him. Those 3 yrs could have been had at what? Around $45 mill(ish)? So we spent around $77 mill for 2 extra seasons. That is what I would have show Watt's team. Those 3 years of control. We will give them up. What are you willing to give up? We gave Watt $80 mill guaranteed. If that was a compromise what was he asking for?
That would be a great way for management to treat their best player. I'm sure the Steelers own UFAs and potential free agent additions would love not giving a contract to a top 10 player in the NFL.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Surprised it's only 4 years and they gave him $80 million guaranteed although not sure how that's structured.. I'm hoping this is 4 years on top of his current year remaining so he is with us for 5 years. Glad this is done. Minkah is going to want those guarantees as well now. That's over two-thirds of the contract guaranteed. Watt should be happy because he is definitely young enough to get another huge 3 or 4-year deal after this one. The Steelers did that with Heyward so, if Watt is still healthy and playing well, they do it with him as well.
Yes, its 4 + 1, so 5 years

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
That would be a great way for management to treat their best player. I'm sure the Steelers own UFAs and potential free agent additions would love not giving a contract to a top 10 player in the NFL.
What. You would go into negotiations and not use your leverage? Watt has a $10 mill option this season. A tag at what $14 mill. A second tag at what $18 mill. So we get Watt for 2 more years at about $40 mill a season. Watt's team did an awesome job.