• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bud Dupree Coming back?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The price has to be right, not an over-pay.

Anyone expecting him to come back here and be the same as he left is nuts. He is going to be just good depth, 15-20 snaps per game max. Maybe he is healed up and ready, we will see.

I'm for the move, Bud was always a good teammate and hard worker. Remember the price has to fit our side, not his.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
For me that ship sailed. He’s damaged and only for vet minimum deal as a backup.
Please do not overpay for this guy!
I don't think they will overpay him. A multi year low based contract I am ok with.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
for 15-20 snaps at 2.5 mill he can keep tj and high smith fresh and give t and Austin versatility in their big nickel which usually has tj at RE
Say we add Dupree this is the versatility you can do in that big 4-2-5
RE Dupree 1T Heyward DT Adams Edge Highsmith ILB Watt ILB Jack we have seen tj when needed to help vs the run at MLb now you can pass blitz run or get him to drop which he is very capable and you have the speed with the other rushers

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Depth sign for a bargain, sure why not…we know what he looks like in black and gold

It took him 4 years to WEAR it Properly……………

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Any chance he would be able to move inside? He seemed to do well in run stopping, that could be something that would help. Maybe run a revolving 4-3 where you have TJ, Highsmith and Dupree rotating at MLB.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I didn't want to mention Dupree until he was officially released. I'm not surprised he didn't blow it up in Tennessee and know he's pretty beat up with the injuries, but I don't believe he'll get a big contract and this team desperately needs depth at OLB.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little curious why some are talking about moving the best edge rusher in the league inside.
I wasn’t talking of necessarily moving TJ inside. My thought was that Dupree may be a good #3 option, getting all three on the field at the same time as 4 DL would be an interesting wrinkle. Moving all 3 around makes it harder to stop them all. Now with a pair of QUALITY ILB‘s, I don’t think it would be as necessary.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
At his age, with his recent injuries and suckiness, vet mininmum. Take it to be a backup or leave it. I certainly wouldn't offer much more than that. He's done nothing since leaving and would only be a rotational #3 guy now.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Any chance he would be able to move inside? He seemed to do well in run stopping, that could be something that would help. Maybe run a revolving 4-3 where you have TJ, Highsmith and Dupree rotating at MLB.

If the Steelers lose Highsmtih to free agency which could happen , the Steelers better get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him! I will take Dupree back under those circumstances at the right cap salary / deal.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little curious why some are talking about moving the best edge rusher in the league inside.

You must be taking something quite a bit stronger than Peyote !!!

EDIT: Bud Dupree

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If the Steelers lose Highsmtih to free agency which could happen , the Steelers better get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for him! I will take Dupree back under those circumstances at the right cap salary / deal.

Coach, just to clear the air……… Highsmith is here this year. More likely than not, he will get extended and if not, Durpee isn’t the answer.

Salute the nation

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Meh. Seems like a deep draft for edge players.

Steelmann

Reaction score
I’m one of the few people on here who actually always stuck up for Bud, and was glad they drafted him. But boy did he try my patience.🙂
I thought he actually turned it around in season 3,but by then everyone’s patience had run out and he really didn’t get any credit. His position is a big part of playing the correct angles. It’s funny when our dear coaching staff put him on his natural side that he played through out college, he improved immensely. Yes yes.... I know. And TJ.
His last season with us started his injury slide and has never come close to the same. It’s a good thing we never resigned him and our FO deserves credit for that.
That being said...his ship has sailed. Unless it’s vet minimum, prove it one year deal. And a very stringent medical. Definitely as a depth player.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Meh. Seems like a deep draft for edge players.
Tackle, defensive line, cornerback, inside linebacker, slot receiver all probably take priority. They aren't going to get a quality backup unless they use a day 1 or 2 pick, which I don't believe they'll do. Give me a cheap veteran backup.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Tackle, defensive line, cornerback, inside linebacker, slot receiver all probably take priority. They aren't going to get a quality backup unless they use a day 1 or 2 pick, which I don't believe they'll do. Give me a cheap veteran backup.
i agree. I just doubt bud comes at a cheap rate.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Dupree had better stats his last year with us 2020 than he did in 2 years combined with the ****.

I never felt Dupree was a high motor guy, but he got the job done. He was on the up when he left, and just couldn't stay healthy. He is a backup here, and doesn't get starter money, so I don't know why he'd want to come here? Just doesn't make sense if he's cut, I think a team with a need at OLB would throw some real money at him to be a starter. That isn't happening in Pit

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
We are pretty good at adding former no#1 picks to the defense. might as well sign one of our own ex No#1s. at a cheap price

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Dupree had better stats his last year with us 2020 than he did in 2 years combined with the ****.

I never felt Dupree was a high motor guy, but he got the job done. He was on the up when he left, and just couldn't stay healthy. He is a backup here, and doesn't get starter money, so I don't know why he'd want to come here? Just doesn't make sense if he's cut, I think a team with a need at OLB would throw some real money at him to be a starter. That isn't happening in Pit
You really just sold him as a starter and getting a big money contract, lol.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
offer performance incentive laced deal. 1.75-2 mill base with bonus up to 4