• Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Butler called out Devin Bush

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yet Jackson is 37-10 as a starter and is on pace to throw for 4,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards . Money well spent
Yet you and your rat birds will never win a SB with him at QB.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
So I started seeing this with Bush like 5 weeks ago. Not the obvious stuff like missing tackles. But things like he wasn't moving to his gap. That he was going bar to bar with the oline coming at him instead of taking on half of him and at least forcing the back to help. So now he has been called out by his DC and Chris Hoke publicly said they are playing a 10 man defense with him in there. Now what Tomlin does this week tells me everything I've always believed about the way he runs this outfit. I believe he will trot him out there even though everything in this post is accurate. He thinks he will somehow play better. We watched it with Jarvis Jones for years.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Bush's effort and play make him one of the worst starting middle linebackers in the league. Time to bench him. We paid a lot to draft an undersized shrimp. Now he has an effort problem. Any fans left off him?

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
Remember Sean Spence? Undersized but fast middle linebacker drafted out of Miami, showed a lot of early promise but then suffered a bad knee injury. Was never the same when he attempted to return.

I'm not saying that Sean Spence was Devin Bush. Obviously, very different pedigrees and expectations based upon their pre-draft evaluations. But they are almost the same size and type of player, and they both suffered bad knee injuries early.

I've been through 2 ACL reconstructions and 5 total knee surgeries. It took me a long time to physically recover and then to mentally recover so to forget that I was coming off a knee surgery. Bush and NFL players have 7 day a week PT available so my experience as a mere mortal isn't the same but I do understand the psychological battles one goes through during the long-term PT process.

Bush recently told areporter that he didn't feel like part of the team last year because he was away doing his rehab. My guess, he went through a depressed period, checked out on the mental side of things while he was physically injured, and is now not where expected to be on actual knowledge of the defense. Is this an excuse? Not intended to be but I can see it happening very easily. Can it be fixed? If he decides he wants to be an NFL linebacker then likely yes, but he needs to find some internal motivation and confidence and focus.

Probably too late to see a significant difference this year but additional time to get over the knee injury and using that time to actually become a student of the game (which he should have done while injured) would give him a chance to start next year as the player we all want him to be.

Just a thought.

paperclip

Reaction score
spence missed back to back seasons with knee injuries - 2 complete seasons. that must have been very difficult.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
i do think Tomlin puts far too little emphasis on football smarts.
I can only hope this isn't true. Consider the ramifications of a coach who does NOT seek out players that truly know and understand the game of football and who ALSO refuses to teach his players because "by they time they get to this level, they should know their job."

IE, I pick the most physically gifted dude I can, despite the fact that he doesn't understand the game or his job, and then I just assume he will improve through osmosis, even though I have specifically gone out and picked guys who have NEVER demonstrated they can do that...

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Growing up where I did, everyone plays basketball. Every kid, more or less, plays every day.

I was fine. I could hit pretty much any shot. I could 1 v 1 and beat every guy on the team but one. (He was a ******* stud.) But when it came time for 5 v 5, I was NOT a decent player because I simply did not understand the moving parts of the game in its entirety. I have a friend, Mark. Short little guy. HE understands basketball. He understands how offenses work, how all the players moving in concert move toward a goal.

Me? I just stand there and wait for somebody to give me the ******* ball so I can post a dude up and score on him. But suddenly, in 5 v 5, I get the ball and I get 3 guys collapsing on me and swiping at the ball weak-side and I'm not smart enough to have sorted out before hand that when they do that SOMEBODY is going to be wide ******* open. I aint that guy.

Which I GUESS means that if I had been a football player all I needed to do was find coaches like Tomlin who didn't expect me to understand **** about the actual game as long as I could win my singular matchups.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Vince Williams had some interesting commentary.

Bud's problem was never lack of effort, it was he was raw. They had him playing out of position at first and then to his weakness, dropping him into coverage rather than rushing the passer. Once the coaches changed how they used him, his production rose.

Vince finally gets it. It's the effort more than anything else that's bothering people.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
He's underperforming and people notice. Football People notice. Im sorry about his knee. I'm sorry about Jack Lamberts Turf Toe.. and Rockys blown up foot. Maybe the steelers can help bush off the field like they did rocky, or shazier. But the 53 man roster isnt the place for your mental and physical rehab to take place.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Q. Mike a player like Devin Bush does he need more mental work or physical work.
A. Both. He is a young guy. He doesn't have the volume of plays.

Give me a ****** break. Ask the question. Like this.
Q. Mike you talk about the standard a lot. Many knowledgeable football people including your own DC seem to not only question the level of Devin's play but the intensity of his effort. What is your perspective? And could you please answer this question with a minimum of flim flam.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Vince finally gets it. It's the effort more than anything else that's bothering people.
That's the thing, if he was at least chasing people and not catching them it would be one thing but he's hardly trying.
Butler might have called him out but he's still going to start him against the Ratbirds.
You think Tombert is gonna bench a first-round pick in favor of some UDFA that makes them look stupid? Hell no. Politics of football.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Not for me. His effort is garbage. But his technique is also garbage. He isn't reacting and filling gaps with his face driving into the hole. He isn't moving when it's obvious what is happening. No reaction. His tackling is worse than Deon Sanders. I played with a MLB div 3 who was 160 lbs who was quicker , had more reaction and more elusive, and led the team in tackles, who was better than him.. he's not the scapegoat for a teams **** defense. He's just a glaring poor football player, and it's magnified by the teams poor play. The 3/4 linebackers have to make the plays. He makes Farrior look like a hof linebacker

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
The knee is not the issue. The knee would explain him getting burned in coverage or juked out by a RB, but it does not explain him standing there and waiting for OL to come block him 5 yards downfield.

It also doesn't explain how after being publicly called out for his tentative play, that he goes into the game and immediately does the same. Now after this week where it's become a national story and he's a twitter punchline, if he doesn't come out this week and attack blocks and being more physical then you have to think it's just not in him.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
He's underperforming and people notice. Football People notice. Im sorry about his knee. I'm sorry about Jack Lamberts Turf Toe.. and Rockys blown up foot. Maybe the steelers can help bush off the field like they did rocky, or shazier. But the 53 man roster isnt the place for your mental and physical rehab to take place.

This play is exactly what I'm talking about. Heyward takes on half the block and forces the play right to where Bush should be. Every gap is cancelled. They are all moving one gap over on flow. Instead of Bush taking half his man he is not only late but goes bar to bar with a blocker who starts off still engaged with Heyward. Was the runner going to go right up the lineman's ***? Look I like Vince and I get what he is saying but this is barely Varsity HS ****. He looks like he us trying to find the blocker on that play. Like I said, I don't know how he cannface the other guys in film.

Phinnster

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is coming from a Michigan fan who loved the pick and bought his daughter a Bush jersey last Christmas.

This guy isn't Steeler material. I know he's missed time due to injury and might not be back to 100% but his effort and attention to detail is sorely lacking. No excuse for that.

If you went back and read my comments about Timmons on this forum you'd see I wasn't a major fan, but I watched that guy play in the driving rain while being so sick he puked 4 or 5 times on the field during a game. He always tried hard and did what was asked. He was twice the player Bush will ever be.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
This play is exactly what I'm talking about. Heyward takes on half the block and forces the play right to where Bush should be. Every gap is cancelled. They are all moving one gap over on flow. Instead of Bush taking half his man he is not only late but goes bar to bar with a blocker who starts off still engaged with Heyward. Was the runner going to go right up the lineman's ***? Look I like Vince and I get what he is saying but this is barely Varsity HS ****. He looks like he us trying to find the blocker on that play. Like I said, I don't know how he cannface the other guys in film.
Bush looked scared of tackling more than any. The Steelers need a new ILB

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
This is coming from a Michigan fan who loved the pick and bought his daughter a Bush jersey last Christmas.

This guy isn't Steeler material. I know he's missed time due to injury and might not be back to 100% but his effort and attention to detail is sorely lacking. No excuse for that.

If you went back and read my comments about Timmons on this forum you'd see I wasn't a major fan, but I watched that guy play in the driving rain while being so sick he puked 4 or 5 times on the field during a game. He always tried hard and did what was asked. He was twice the player Bush will ever be.

I'll be more than happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.
His effort isn’t there. He’s definitely playing timid. He has a lot of opportunity on the field to be in position.

From the eyeball test it’s easy to see he’s stalling just enough to look like he’s making the effort to be in the play, but hesitates. That knee injury messed with his confidence

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
His agent when he breaks the news to him that he will be released and have to play for peanuts next year on a prove it deal with a new team.

Nice response but I don't think that fear exists as of yet. He will play out his contract and miraculously next season he will play average but some will think it's a huge jump from this year and expect same jump the next thus signing him big.

Salute the nation

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
You can't win with a bunch of half ***** collecting checks.

Then they should collect only half their check.

a2a2214c011922b4021f33462e66fe73.jpg

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
His agent when he breaks the news to him that he will be released and have to play for peanuts next year on a prove it deal with a new team.

Or...

"Hey, Dev. Good news/bad news. Good news: next year you'll be playing for another team with a former Steelers teammate. Bad news: It's Duck Hodges with the Ottawa Redblacks."