• Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Butler called out Devin Bush

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Says he doesn't know if his injury is lingering but to paraphrase he is playing wrong leverage in coverage and isn't running to the ball. Which is pretty much what I see. Question is if it doesn't improve like in the first half of Sunday...... what are you and your boss gonna do? You better make a move or what does that say now. Sorry I didn't post link. I'm sure someone can.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Then why the hell are your running him out there every week?
Reminds me of when Shades said he was gonna unleash hell after a bad game. We had hopes that he would change up some things but the next week he ran the same plays with the same lineup and benched no one.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Sit the guy and let him eat some humble pie.

His father was defending his play last week in an interview, I don't know how honestly

Last edited:

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Then why the hell are your running him out there every week?
Reminds me of when Shades said he was gonna unleash hell after a bad game. We had hopes that he would change up some things but the next week he ran the same plays with the same lineup and benched no one.
Because with Shades it's about pedigree. Always has been. I don't think from the statements Butler made he would be playing if Butler was really in charge.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
This is my opinion. His knee injury has effected his coverage which was his skill. No Tuitt no Alualu exposed his run limitations. I'm not making excuses cause he is those two things. Small and coming off an injury. But to me that is Devin Bush. He might regain his coverage ability but he isn't gonna grow and fill out.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I' amazed as to what Butler is saying. Not doubting yaz Sask but a link would be nice.

Bush is definately having some problems and it needs to be addressed. Not just Bush but Coaching needs to help this young man through what ever it is be it physical or mental. This is where coaching needs to make decision and help either by benching or what ever it takes. Just parading him out there does nothing for him or team.

why do some of these personel decisions take so long or are completely ignored ? Can't he be helped some way?

When coaching is weak of fails, sub-talent exposes it to a degree.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I' amazed as to what Butler is saying. Not doubting yaz Sask but a link would be nice.

Bush is definately having some problems and it needs to be addressed. Not just Bush but Coaching needs to help this young man through what ever it is be it physical or mental. This is where coaching needs to make decision and help either by benching or what ever it takes. Just parading him out there does nothing for him or team.

why do some of these personel decisions take so long or are completely ignored ? Can't he be helped some way?

When coaching is weak of fails, sub-talent exposes it to a degree.

Salute the nation
I agree. Sorry I don't link. Limited tech and don't know what publications we can link. A Google search Keith Butler Devin Bush will produce 4 articles for sure.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. Sorry I don't link. Limited tech and don't know what publications we can link. A Google search Keith Butler Devin Bush will produce 4 articles for sure.

I hear yaz Sask, i'm on my cheap-asZ tablet, if I was on my big computer I'd post the link.

Salute the nation

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...h-must-learn-more-and-run-to-the-dadgum-ball/

https://Invalid Link - Check SN Hom...ake-plays-when-youre-not-showing-that-effort/

steelhurt

Reaction score
Bush is simply too small to shed off blockers, too slow for coverage, and takes extremely bad angles. Oh and did I mention he badly over pursues and is a bad tackler.
This was an embarrassing and very expensive mistake and will have to be addressed in the off season. The best anyone can hope for is that Bush can be average and that may be a stretch.
What the hell were they thinking?

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
There is no doubt injuries have stunted his growth but he can tell it to the devil injuries are a truth in the nfl… he’s getting picked on both by the run offense and the pass offense butler can’t hide him… they might have to bench him then bring him back again… rough on a young player but he’s stinking it up right now… I suggest move Eddie into up into the box double up the free safeties I think that would be sweeeettt set up… blitz Eddie in those crossing blitzes up the middle he could knock the stuffing out of a qb. Go Steelers!!!

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Bush is simply too small to shed off blockers, too slow for coverage, and takes extremely bad angles. Oh and did I mention he badly over pursues and is a bad tackler.
This was an embarrassing and very expensive mistake and will have to be addressed in the off season. The best anyone can hope for is that Bush can be average and that may be a stretch.
What the hell were they thinking?
I look back at that draft and wonder who the Steelers would've taken if they didn't trade up for Bush. It wasn't a great draft.

I know two of my favorite players in that draft were Byron Murphy and A.J. Brown, both going in the second round. Probably would've taken either with 1.20. At 2.52, maybe Miles Sanders? The Broncos got Lloyd Cushenberry at 3.83 in the 2020 draft. Not even sure where the Steelers would go with this pick. Lucas Niang was good value at this point.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
All these posts and not one mention of the other HUGE problem hr is having that isn't his fault. Yes he has been slow in recovering what he had started before the knee injury, yes he doesn't shed well but honestly we knew that going in. For all his talent and potential he is and always will be limited to needing a defensive line that can get him free to make plays and not have to shed as many blocks. With Tuitt and Aluala he would look far better than he does and have more confidence. He isn't ever going to be the kind of backer who will easily shed tackle and still make the play. He is a very system dependent LB who needs help from the line and he isn't getting it. That doesn't downplay his lack of aggression and regression in coverage. Those are entirely on him. I am just saying the system as designed for him is lacking the needed horses upfront due to injury and we don't have the type of LB that can play both coverage, contain and still fight off blocks. Not one. I would hazard to guess if Tuitt and Alualu were playing we are not having this conversation and he is looking far better.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it isn't his fault, Bush does nothing to improve his game in the area of shedding blocks. He's undersize so he should be working his rear end off in the offseason to overcome that issue. From the way Butler talked, it sounds like he doesn't practice at hard as some of the other guys on defense and that he doesn't study as hard to know what is going on in front of and behind him.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I think most were excited when we drafted Bush. I think most of his problems are mental. He seems very immature and not dedicated. Lazy pursuit and not running to the ball have nothing to do with his knee. Look at how Heyward chased down Herbert (the gut punch play) I don't see Bush making that kind of effort. Giving max effort and just being slow is one thing but coaches and other players can see he is simply lacking effort. Unless he makes a huge turnaround i wouldn't be shocked if he was cut next year.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
This is my opinion. His knee injury has effected his coverage which was his skill. No Tuitt no Alualu exposed his run limitations. I'm not making excuses cause he is those two things. Small and coming off an injury. But to me that is Devin Bush. He might regain his coverage ability but he isn't gonna grow and fill out.
Yeah. How long did he do that with Jason Worilds and Jarvis Jones waiting for a switch to go on?
If his knee isn't 100% I get that, but on the radio this week Chris Hoke was ripping him up one side and down the other for poor fundamentals.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think most were excited when we drafted Bush. I think most of his problems are mental. He seems very immature and not dedicated. Lazy pursuit and not running to the ball have nothing to do with his knee. Look at how Heyward chased down Herbert (the gut punch play) I don't see Bush making that kind of effort. Giving max effort and just being slow is one thing but coaches and other players can see he is simply lacking effort. Unless he makes a huge turnaround i wouldn't be shocked if he was cut next year.

This

Even Bince who was slow as hell still persued to the whistle. Cam persues to the whistle, others as well. Bush seems to stop once the play is past or out of IMMEADIATE persuit whether it be from bad angle or juked.

Salute the nation

Last edited:

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I look back at that draft and wonder who the Steelers would've taken if they didn't trade up for Bush. It wasn't a great draft.

I know two of my favorite players in that draft were Byron Murphy and A.J. Brown, both going in the second round. Probably would've taken either with 1.20. At 2.52, maybe Miles Sanders? The Broncos got Lloyd Cushenberry at 3.83 in the 2020 draft. Not even sure where the Steelers would go with this pick. Lucas Niang was good value at this point.
I wanted Fant, broncos did get him

Steelmann

Reaction score
Even if the lightbulb starts flickering and finally goes on,I really doubt he will sign a second contract with the Steelers. I remember reading through his Instagram during that Tebow BS. Bizarro to say the least. He will be all about the $$$$$ and use the old social media game. I could be wrong,but my gut says I am right. He’s not Steeler linebacker material. I just don’t see the effort. We will see.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Not that it is part of the conversation, but I used the word Dadgum growing up. Still use it around friends. but I dont think I would use it in an interview