• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Buy or sell: Resign Hargrave- cut or trade Tuitt.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
My angle is Tuitt despite playing really well in spurts he is often injured. Grave digger is playing solid with the potential to be a depth hit in free agency. I think he could be resigned if they give him a starting contract. So in the off-season with this scenario are you buying or selling?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Hargrave can't stop the run for ****. I'm selling him and signing Dupree

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hargrave can't stop the run for ****. I'm selling him and signing Dupree

Dupree wasn't in the scenario!

I am thinking he is a resign...........

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Unless its a chronic injury issue you don’t cut a guy who was grading out close to aaron donald ... some injuries are freakish... some players get a few freakish injuries in a row then never have them again...
Injury prone is when a guy has something that will lead to recurring injuries... Tuitt just has had some unrelated injuries that were severe... there isn’t supposed to be lingering issues from them...

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Unless its a chronic injury issue you don’t cut a guy who was grading out close to aaron donald ... some injuries are freakish... some players get a few freakish injuries in a row then never have them again...
Injury prone is when a guy has something that will lead to recurring injuries... Tuitt just has had some unrelated injuries that were severe... there isn’t supposed to be lingering issues from them...
So mad you are confident he will return healthy and be available down the home stretch next season?

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So mad you are confident he will return healthy and be available down the home stretch next season?

There was a phase where people said ben was never healthy... a phase when they bitched about bettis never being in good health by seasons end... its a brutal game and you cannot be certain who is getting hurt or not...

Unless the injury is going to be chronic and potentially reoccurring , like a dislocated hip, its just not going to be a factor... especially now with the IR return ability...

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
im selling Hargrave ,, im keeping tuit and franchising Dupree. But before any of that happens.. IM putting Buggs into the rotation to see what we have. If its bad for rudloph to **** the bed his first active year... then **** it put buggs in.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
There was a phase where people said ben was never healthy... a phase when they bitched about bettis never being in good health by seasons end... its a brutal game and you cannot be certain who is getting hurt or not...

Unless the injury is going to be chronic and potentially reoccurring , like a dislocated hip, its just not going to be a factor... especially now with the IR return ability...

yeah its Crazy,, Vance McDonald is mysteriously available each week this year... I wonder why,,,,,, hmmm

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
yeah its Crazy,, Vance McDonald is mysteriously available each week this year... I wonder why,,,,,, hmmm

Rudolph doesn't know how to throw to the TE, so he's staying healthy. :D

Spike

Reaction score
Can we do better in the draft? Because we wont be getting any good DL FA replacements, we are cap strapped again.

Unless Ben retires
Code:

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If Tuitt can come back healthy, it's a no brainer. You keep Tuitt. Hargrave hasn't shown much to me. I see no difference with Alualu in the games. And, I would definitely keep this years Bud over Hargrave but we probably can't afford Bud. We will probably be several million per season less than what Bud can get in free agency.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
SELL BOTH

some may call me radical but tuitt is hurt and hargrove is to small. ONE condition of selling hargrove would be the promos of a big NT who can actually play (can you hear me BIG Dan?)

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Tuitt by far. At his best he is dominant. He was the best player on the field until his injury. Even when he isn't playing at that level, he's still good.

I don't get the fascination with Hargrave. I think people are falling into the trap thinking he's better than what he is. He'll make some plays here and there, but he's not a guy you break the bank for.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
SELL BOTH

some may call me radical but tuitt is hurt and hargrove is to small. ONE condition of selling hargrove would be the promos of a big NT who can actually play (can you hear me BIG Dan?)

Salute the nation

Hargrave is small? He is listed at 305 which is more than either Tuitt or Heyward. He is a 3" shorter so maybe a bit shorter in the arm length, but should help him stay under pads. Hargrave is pretty quick off the ball too.

Course, an edge rusher is a lot harder to draft/develop and very expensive in FA. Keep Bud. I see nothing to suggest he is another LW. Problem is, if he decides he wants to see what hte market will bear (and he is smart to want to do so with the season he is having), he is going to want more than we can afford.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
sell hargrave unless hometown discount there are several low key guys that in a old school lebeau type 3-4 can do a better job that hargrave who is really a 4-3 dt or DE.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
hmm....i'm thinking sell on hargrave, keep tuitt around

Chicoman

Reaction score
I wouldn't let Tuitt go for anything. You have him & TJ Watt on that left side of the Defense....that's a nightmare for any opponent stopping both those guys.....

FordFairLane

Reaction score
This is what I’m thinking. Cut Chickillo, Barron, and Tuitt. Cap space is now 26 million. RFA second round tender Hilton and franchise Dupree. That costs 16 million. Sign Hargrave to a Dontari Poe or Malik Jackson type deal. 5 years 60 million (back load it a little so that last year is 20 million so in reality it’s a 4 year 40 million deal)

That keeps the defense together one more year and after 2020 let Dupree and Hilton walk and use that to extend Watt.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hargrave is small? He is listed at 305 which is more than either Tuitt or Heyward. He is a 3" shorter so maybe a bit shorter in the arm length, but should help him stay under pads. Hargrave is pretty quick off the ball too.

Course, an edge rusher is a lot harder to draft/develop and very expensive in FA. Keep Bud. I see nothing to suggest he is another LW. Problem is, if he decides he wants to see what hte market will bear (and he is smart to want to do so with the season he is having), he is going to want more than we can afford.
He has played better than a few want to admit. And that isn't knocking Tuitt. If they can find a way to keep Tuitt,Hargrave, and Dupree that would be the ideal situation. They are notorious for keeping their own so maybe we will get lucky.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
This is what I’m thinking. Cut Chickillo, Barron, and Tuitt. Cap space is now 26 million. RFA second round tender Hilton and franchise Dupree. That costs 16 million. Sign Hargrave to a Dontari Poe or Malik Jackson type deal. 5 years 60 million (back load it a little so that last year is 20 million so in reality it’s a 4 year 40 million deal)

That keeps the defense together one more year and after 2020 let Dupree and Hilton walk and use that to extend Watt.

I would keep Tuit over Hargrave.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
What could we get in a trade for Tuitt? No one has explored that part yet. If we can get a mid first round pick for Tuitt do the Steelers take that deal?

Hargrave has been weak vs. the run for years. He a better than average pass rushing DT/NT however part of that could be due to the talent around him. Hargrave is likely gone in free agency. I think Wr can live without him.

I’d lean toward keeping Tuitt, unless the trade value is high.

Don’t look now but some key players are getting up there in age.

Colbert will need to make the right call on a Dupree, and figure out eventually replacements for Ben, Pouncey, and Haden. In the next 2-3 seasons.

Pouncey to me had had a below average season by his standards. But Ben really like him.

As silly as it sounds Whyte and Cain might be good enough to shift draft needs away from RB and WR in 2020. If we can be that lucky to strike gold off the waiver wire twice then we can work on replacing Hargrave in the draft.

Last edited: