• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Buy or sell: Resign Hargrave- cut or trade Tuitt.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting on the trade value for Tuitt but you have to let him come back and see if he can even get back to full form from before his injury before you can even explore that. If he can't get back to form this coming year from the injury, then his trade value drops to not much and Hargrave becomes the better option. Right now, I still keep Tuitt over Hargrave. Hargrave is a 2nd tier, at best, D-lineman. He isn't in the same class as a Tuitt or Heyward and I wouldn't pay him what people are saying they would. As I have said before, we have Alualu (although getting older) that looks almost as good or as good as Hargrave when he is in the game.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
My angle is Tuitt despite playing really well in spurts he is often injured. Grave digger is playing solid with the potential to be a depth hit in free agency. I think he could be resigned if they give him a starting contract. So in the off-season with this scenario are you buying or selling?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app
Let him go, there's already too much cap space strapped to both starting DEs, who are monsters by the way. Hargrave is a very good player but his strength is partially wasted in a 3-4 so you let him go, get a 3rd round comp pic from him and draft a pure NT in the 4th/5th round.

What Buggs has already shown plus a very efficient Alualu gives me confidence in staying dominant at the DL without Hargrave there. No way I spend 8-10 millions in him, not because he doesn't deserve it but the scheme and current players in the roster to fill in.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

steelhurt

Reaction score
I do not trade Tuitt. That’s a stupid suggestion.
I probably apply the transition to to Bud and see if and what the offers are and try and match if not ridiculous.
I try and keep Javon Hargraves who if used correctly is a beast and will only get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
restructure vince Williams cut barron Chick Foster restructure tuitt and Villineuva
let McCullers walk re sign hargrave 5 years 60 with it back loaded and bring in Ashawn Robinsdon or a similar type fat coke machine type NT
Vince and Bush start and Gilbert and Red can spell for 3-10 reps a game.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I do not trade Tuitt. That’s a stupid suggestion.
I probably apply the transition to to Bud and see if and what the offers are and try and match if not ridiculous.
I try and keep Javon Hargraves who if used correctly is a beast and will only get better.

What is that ol saying, "you can't help the team from the hot tub?" Take a gander how many seasons he has played in full? As in a sixteen game season.

Vader

Reaction score
You can't pay everyone. You aren't signing Dupree, Tuitt and Hargrave when you have Heyward and Watt coming up right after. You can't keep everyone. Plus putting a tag on Dupree means all that money is in one year. You want to pay Dupree $16 million for one year? Not me.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
You can't pay everyone. You aren't signing Dupree, Tuitt and Hargrave when you have Heyward and Watt coming up right after. You can't keep everyone. Plus putting a tag on Dupree means all that money is in one year. You want to pay Dupree $16 million for one year? Not me.

Thats the conundrum isn't it? You don't want to tie the money up but you don't have a replacement. He's going to get top dollar ont he open market; he would be a fool to not try the market. Someone will pay more than PIT. Like it or not, he won't be easy to replace. alas, you hit the nail on the head - he will break the bank.

Tuiit is already accounted for on the books. He isn't going anywhere. So is it worth keeping Gravedigger?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Heyward and Watt are coming up and Ben will be coming off the books. Pouncey has always said that he's retiring when Ben retires, so that could be another large cap hit. The Steelers will keep the guys they want and let go of the guys they don't. It almost always works out for them with the exception of Wallace and Bell, who both turned down very lucrative deals.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I honestly feel we need to go all in next year. Ben will be back and healthy, and we have a top defense. I think we need to resign Dupree, Hilton, and then in free agency snag AJ Green to compliment JuJu. Might only be able to afford to keep the team together 1-2 years but once Ben retires after 2021 we can worry about that.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I like your thinking keep all our own. They have shown the ability to adjust the cap when needed. And bring in a WR to complement. Not sure often injured AJ is the guy to bring in but I like the general idea.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I like your thinking keep all our own. They have shown the ability to adjust the cap when needed. And bring in a WR to complement. Not sure often injured AJ is the guy to bring in but I like the general idea.

He’s going to be the best wr to hit the free agent market. Amari Cooper I’m certain gets paid in Dallas. Green at his age, 32 next season, will want guaranteed money but that could work out for us. Give him a long term contract with bigger bonus money to alleviate any immediate cap hit but in reality it’s a 2 year deal at 30 million. Then when Ben retires we can cut him and take the big cap hit like yanking off a band-aid.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Isn't the Saints Thomas a UFA? That is who I wouldn't mind throwing AB money at if available.
He’s going to be the best wr to hit the free agent market. Amari Cooper I’m certain gets paid in Dallas. Green at his age, 32 next season, will want guaranteed money but that could work out for us. Give him a long term contract with bigger bonus money to alleviate any immediate cap hit but in reality it’s a 2 year deal at 30 million. Then when Ben retires we can cut him and take the big cap hit like yanking off a band-aid.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't see paying Hargrave $10 million per let alone 12 million per. Dude is good but not great. He is replaceable and then some at $12 million per. I just can't see us tying that kind of money up in the D-line unless Heyward is retiring soon.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Justin ellis should have been taken instead of hargrave better vs the run hargrave would thrive in a 4-3 under tackle role or as a DE as he is a gile and better pass rusher than run stiffer

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This aged well.

Two year old manure is still ****

But

You can claim the nastradamus award if you so chose.
You'll have to get it from Coolie but personally I think his Ed Oliver was the b etter prediction of the two.

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Hargrave was one of the few bright spots for Philly on Monday night. He was looking lean and quick out there

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Talk about a grave digger. Excavating this ******* thread out of its sepulcher after nearly two years. Holy ****.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Im pretty sure the knee is a cop out because the cba doesn’t cover ptsd from your brother getting killed by a hit and run driver… tuitt is the most talented of our dlinemen… football matters less than family so hopefully he can get past this, but if he cannot I totally understand it

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My angle is Tuitt despite playing really well in spurts he is often injured. Grave digger is playing solid with the potential to be a depth hit in free agency. I think he could be resigned if they give him a starting contract. So in the off-season with this scenario are you buying or selling?

We should have never let him go IMO...

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Where was this thread last year when Tuitt was dominant and Hargrave had a decent year?