• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Can Dwayne Haskins be the Steelers solution at quarterback?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Wednesday morning, Dwayne Haskins met with Pittsburgh Steelers‘ GM Kevin Colbert and will soon meet with head coach Mike Tomlin to discuss his future with the franchise. According to Brooke Pryor of ESPN, Haskins says he will be given a chance to compete for the starting job in 2022. Lately, Haskins has been vocal about his maturity and willingness to lead and compete for a starting role in the NFL. On the sidelines in 2021, Haskins showed flashes of leadership and had reportedly impressed coach Tomlin in practice. With the likely retirement of 18-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers will need to find their future quarterback soon. For now, the franchise could very well let the young quarterback earn a second opportunity to start in the NFL.

Dwayne Haskins: "I definitely feel like I can be a starter in this league. It's what I was drafted to do."

— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) January 19, 2022

This off-season will hold many challenges for the Steelers front office as they must search for a new quarterback, look to re-sign starters on both sides of the ball, revamp the offensive line, and much more. Though there will be a few decent quarterbacks in free agency this year, the Steelers may elect to save that money to spend on other team needs by giving the job to either Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins, both of whom are already on the team. Rudolph has had many opportunities to start with the franchise throughout the 2019 season and on other occasions since. In Rudolph’s lone start in 2021, he threw the ball 50 times for 242 yards, one touchdown, and an interception. Rudolph would lead the team to a 16-16 tie with the Detroit Lions, who finished the season 3-13-1. The team’s lack of success under Rudolph so far has led many to wonder whether or not he will be ready to take over the starting job in 2022 or if Haskins should be given a second chance.

Dwayne Haskins was drafted 15th overall in 2019 by the Washington Football Team and was immediately allowed to start. Haskins failed to impress many behind a poor offensive line with a dysfunctional franchise during his time with Washington. Haskins was also young and reckless both on and off the field, which contributed to his eventual release in 2020. In his first season as a starter, Haskins would throw the ball 203 times for 1,365 yards, seven touchdowns, and seven interceptions. Haskins would only see the field in nine games that season and end the year with a 76.1 passer rating.

In 2020, Haskins would earn a starting role with Washington again but would only see the field in a handful of games (seven). Haskins threw the ball 241 times in 2020, totaling 1,439 yards, five touchdowns, and seven interceptions. After a poor performance in Week 16 of the 2020 season and a scandal the week before in which Haskins was photographed breaking team COVID-19 protocol, Haskins was released from the Washington Football Team.

Haskins was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in January of 2021 and would learn under Steelers veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and head coach Mike Tomlin during 2021. Haskins slowly became more involved in the huddle and now says he is ready for his shot. “I want to show him I want this bad,” Haskins told before he meets with coach Tomlin, “I want to be a leader, I want to be the guy people can rely on and off the field. I’m more than a guy who can just throw the ball.” (@tribJoeRutter via Twitter)

Dwayne Haskins on Zoom call: "I feel like I can be a starter in this league, I was drafted for that reason. I definitely believe I have the talent to. I think I can throw with the best of them, I just haven’t put it all together yet. It's something I have to do this offseason."

— Joe Rutter (@tribjoerutter) January 19, 2022

If Haskins were to earn the starting role, he would fit a scheme for which the Steelers are best equipped. Haskins is a mobile quarterback with decent accuracy and arm strength; however, he has always lacked the leadership and decision-making skills to be an NFL quarterback. Now that he has aged and learned more, Tomlin and the Steelers’ front office will decide to make his progress towards becoming an NFL starter once again. If Haskins can convince Tomlin that he is ready, the Steelers will put more money towards the rest of the team instead of bringing in a new quarterback, but that is a very big “if.”

Do you think Dwayne Haskins should be given a second chance as a starter in 2022? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Wednesday morning, Dwayne Haskins met with Pittsburgh Steelers‘ GM Kevin Colbert and will soon meet with head coach Mike Tomlin to discuss his future with the franchise. According to Brooke Pryor of ESPN, Haskins says he will be given a chance to compete for the starting job in 2022. Lately, Haskins has been vocal about his maturity and willingness to lead and compete for a starting role in the NFL. On the sidelines in 2021, Haskins showed flashes of leadership and had reportedly impressed coach Tomlin in practice. With the likely retirement of 18-year quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers will need to find their future quarterback soon. For now, the franchise could very well let the young quarterback earn a second opportunity to start in the NFL.

This off-season will hold many challenges for the Steelers front office as they must search for a new quarterback, look to re-sign starters on both sides of the ball, revamp the offensive line, and much more. Though there will be a few decent quarterbacks in free agency this year, the Steelers may elect to save that money to spend on other team needs by giving the job to either Mason Rudolph or Dwayne Haskins, both of whom are already on the team. Rudolph has had many opportunities to start with the franchise throughout the 2019 season and on other occasions since. In Rudolph’s lone start in 2021, he threw the ball 50 times for 242 yards, one touchdown, and an interception. Rudolph would lead the team to a 16-16 tie with the Detroit Lions, who finished the season 3-13-1. The team’s lack of success under Rudolph so far has led many to wonder whether or not he will be ready to take over the starting job in 2022 or if Haskins should be given a second chance.

Dwayne Haskins was drafted 15th overall in 2019 by the Washington Football Team and was immediately allowed to start. Haskins failed to impress many behind a poor offensive line with a dysfunctional franchise during his time with Washington. Haskins was also young and reckless both on and off the field, which contributed to his eventual release in 2020. In his first season as a starter, Haskins would throw the ball 203 times for 1,365 yards, seven touchdowns, and seven interceptions. Haskins would only see the field in nine games that season and end the year with a 76.1 passer rating.

In 2020, Haskins would earn a starting role with Washington again but would only see the field in a handful of games (seven). Haskins threw the ball 241 times in 2020, totaling 1,439 yards, five touchdowns, and seven interceptions. After a poor performance in Week 16 of the 2020 season and a scandal the week before in which Haskins was photographed breaking team COVID-19 protocol, Haskins was released from the Washington Football Team.

Haskins was signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers in January of 2021 and would learn under Steelers veteran quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and head coach Mike Tomlin during 2021. Haskins slowly became more involved in the huddle and now says he is ready for his shot. “I want to show him I want this bad,” Haskins told before he meets with coach Tomlin, “I want to be a leader, I want to be the guy people can rely on and off the field. I’m more than a guy who can just throw the ball.” (@tribJoeRutter via Twitter)

If Haskins were to earn the starting role, he would fit a scheme for which the Steelers are best equipped. Haskins is a mobile quarterback with decent accuracy and arm strength; however, he has always lacked the leadership and decision-making skills to be an NFL quarterback. Now that he has aged and learned more, Tomlin and the Steelers’ front office will decide to make his progress towards becoming an NFL starter once again. If Haskins can convince Tomlin that he is ready, the Steelers will put more money towards the rest of the team instead of bringing in a new quarterback, but that is a very big “if.”

Do you think Dwayne Haskins should be given a second chance as a starter in 2022? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

**** to the NO!!! Dude is an asshat. 3rd string overrated piece of ****.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score

#SteelerNation

No he really isn't. Maybe compared to Ben but so is my dead grandmother.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
On the sidelines in 2021, Haskins showed flashes of leadership....

I don't know about that. During a time out when Ben came over to the sidelines I'd see Dobbs (in his civies) and Mason huddle around them, while Haskins was off... looking disinterested and aloof. At least that's what I saw.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I remember from the preseason that if Haskins' first receiver wasn't open right away, he'd take off running. He wouldn't check down to his second and third options. Maybe that's something that coaching and experience will improve but I wouldn't bet on it.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope he can be the next franchise qb for the next 15 years. Just like I hope Mason is the next qb for the next 15 years.
Just have not seen anything saying that is going to happen

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe. Just like Rudolph gets a maybe. Neither have good odds. I didn't realize Rudolph is faster than Haskins. Rudolph ran a 4.9 and Haskins was over 5. So, the mobility factor certainly isn't there with either. Then again, you don't have to be blazing. Mahomes runs a 4.8 and Allen ran just under a 4.7. I think for the QB, quickness is the key and not straight-line speed.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
While the article subtly bashes Mason for his 50/250 yard performance against the Lions, I failed to see where it also pointed out that the Lions were one of the worst run defenses in the league and the Steelers made no effort whatsoever to establish the run against them.

Pretty much just... "We don't care if they suck at THIS! We're doing THAT!"

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Same answer as “is Matt Canada the solution at OC”

when you are eating Buffalo berger and this post makes you blow Buffalo berger chunks..............

I have to agree in this stateent.! thanks Fiji

Salute the nation

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Who knows. Why shut it down if we've never seen the kid in a game with the 1's and playing against the 1's on defense???

I think he's better than every option in the upcoming draft. JMO...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
While the article subtly bashes Mason for his 50/250 yard performance against the Lions, I failed to see where it also pointed out that the Lions were one of the worst run defenses in the league and the Steelers made no effort whatsoever to establish the run against them.

Pretty much just... "We don't care if they suck at THIS! We're doing THAT!"
How were we going to run behind the OL then??? OL is the weakest link on the team. Second is Coach Canada...

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Ben's replacement may be on the current roster. His equivalent/near equivalent is not.

TheDudeAbides

Reformed Lurker
Reaction score
The Steelers have really treated Haskins like a college freshman who needed a redshirt year. Some things that we know:

1. Haskins has the arm talent to be a starting NFL QB. We saw it in college, with the WTFs, preseason, and Ben remarked on it quite a bit during summer camp press conferences.
2. Haskins was a top pick at a young age (21), and was obviously a bit immature.
3. He was thrown into a starting role on a bad team with a bad OL.
4. He and his new coach butted heads early and often.

Since then he's been cut, not been playing football, got his *** kicked by his old lady, and got to spend a season hanging out with Ben and the boys.

Who knows?

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
No he really isn't. Maybe compared to Ben but so is my dead grandmother.
She might be tossing and turning if no significant changes are made in the off-season. Provided she is a Steeler fan of course. Yeah there really isn't a mobile QB on the roster unless we count Dobbs. But I presume he won't make next year's roster regardless...

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
She might be tossing and turning if no significant changes are made in the off-season. Provided she is a Steeler fan of course. Yeah there really isn't a mobile QB on the roster unless we count Dobbs. But I presume he won't make next year's roster regardless...
Dobbs is fast but clueless on the field damn smart off the field. I keep him as the three if we don't have someone else or Haskins flames out just to be an extra coach in pads.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Dobbs is fast but clueless on the field damn smart off the field. I keep him as the three if we don't have someone else or Haskins flames out just to be an extra coach in pads.
Covid isn't going away I would think you could just stash Dobbs on the PS.

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
IF he has matured with a year around some grown-ups, and IF he has decided he wants to be an NFL starting QB, and IF he puts in the off-field study required to really learn the game then he can be.

He was the most talented QB on our roster physically. The guy has a big time arm and at least a little mobility, and he's really young.

If he can rediscover what he was at Ohio State then we all know how good that would be for the Steelers.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Why does
Maybe. Just like Rudolph gets a maybe. Neither have good odds. I didn't realize Rudolph is faster than Haskins. Rudolph ran a 4.9 and Haskins was over 5. So, the mobility factor certainly isn't there with either. Then again, you don't have to be blazing. Mahomes runs a 4.8 and Allen ran just under a 4.7. I think for the QB, quickness is the key and not straight-line speed.
this is what I keep trying to drill in people’s heads… Haskins is a pocket passer… he isn’t mobile… in college he rushed for less than 200 yards total and had a really low yards per carry.

If he is going to have success it isn’t running the ball… it’s making his reads and progressions and throwing the ball downfield…. Hopefully he has improved there. At the qb position it sometimes takes years to develop that… he might not be ready yet this year…