• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Cap space

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
This article breaks down where stand with cap space heading into free agency:

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...salary-cap-projected-space-start-free-agency/

Accounting for draft picks and other known variables looks like we have $12,831,749 to spend in free agency. This number could increase if they sign other players to long term contracts.

They usually keep a few million as a emergency fund for the unexpected during the season, so it looks like we will actually have about 10 million they will looking to spend on a free agent or free agents.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you can reduce Bell, and that would free up probably 4-5 mil.

There is enough to bring in a few significant free agents.

I was reading that this morning, good read.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Kewl Beans and let's hope they get out of the norm and BRING IN IMPACT players and NOT ones recovering from injury.

Salute the nation

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to much out there for edge rushers that we can afford. There are a handful of corners who might be an upgrade from Gay, but no one that is a true game changer. I wouldn't mind bringing in an experienced WR that could step right in as the #2 in case Bryant/Coats/draft choice have issues.

ianv2012

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to much out there for edge rushers that we can afford. There are a handful of corners who might be an upgrade from Gay, but no one that is a true game changer. I wouldn't mind bringing in an experienced WR that could step right in as the #2 in case Bryant/Coats/draft choice have issues.

I like John Simon, you don't have to break the bank and he can be a 5-8 sack guy

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

disagree. I would argue that the majority of top shelf rushers was tagged/ locked up by their perspective teams.

The ones available for the most part shouldn't "break the bank". Get rid of Green hell while they are at it. Enough there even without that to bring in a pass rusher and a cornerback.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
So that's $12.8M left with only exclusive right FA tenders to Villanueva, Cockrell, Boswell, Hamilton, Dangerfield, Finney, Grimble, Chickillo & Hubbard. Those are just tenders, they still need a contract. If I'm not mistaken, ERFA's become unrestricted FA's if they are not contract signed by the NFL deadline. You definitely need Villa and Boswell and others so that's going to eat into that $12.8M significantly. That doesn't even cover if you want to sign Timmons which will come right off the top of any cap space. The Steelers might have room to sign one pretty decent FA and that's it.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
So that's $12.8M left with only exclusive right FA tenders to Villanueva, Cockrell, Boswell, Hamilton, Dangerfield, Finney, Grimble, Chickillo & Hubbard. Those are just tenders, they still need a contract. If I'm not mistaken, ERFA's become unrestricted FA's if they are not contract signed by the NFL deadline. You definitely need Villa and Boswell and others so that's going to eat into that $12.8M significantly. That doesn't even cover if you want to sign Timmons which will come right off the top of any cap space. The Steelers might have room to sign one pretty decent FA and that's it.

with the tender comes a cap hi for 2017t. Only if you then sign them to a multi year contract that voids the tender would they have a new cap hit

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
with the tender comes a cap hi for 2017t. Only if you then sign them to a multi year contract that voids the tender would they have a new cap hit

Tracking but for example, Villanueva's 2017 tender against the cap is $615K. I would imagine his signing a long-term contract will raise that amount significantly and of course, lower the Steelers available cap. Conversely, Cockrell's ERFA tender is $1.8M and his contract could potentially be a lower cap hit. Am I thinking this right?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Tracking but for example, Villanueva's 2017 tender against the cap is $615K. I would imagine his signing a long-term contract will raise that amount significantly and of course, lower the Steelers available cap. Conversely, Cockrell's ERFA tender is $1.8M and his contract could potentially be a lower cap hit. Am I thinking this right?

yeap, but of that list probably only Villanueva will get a long term contract

skyhigh44

Reaction score
Everyone wants to talk about the Steelers available cap space, but they forget that there are countless other teams with money burning holes.....in respect, we don't have that much to be competitive.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't see us as players in FA early. We're looking at the next tier of guys in FA

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone wants to talk about the Steelers available cap space, but they forget that there are countless other teams with money burning holes.....in respect, we don't have that much to be competitive.

Thats why we take care of our own and then look for bargains, sometimes they work (deangelo Williams), sometimes they don't

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
disagree. I would argue that the majority of top shelf rushers was tagged/ locked up by their perspective teams.

The ones available for the most part shouldn't "break the bank". Get rid of Green hell while they are at it. Enough there even without that to bring in a pass rusher and a cornerback.

True. I would rather bring in a high draft pick vs signing anyone that's left. It can't be another JarJar bust though, we'd be screwed.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I like John Simon, you don't have to break the bank and he can be a 5-8 sack guy

We need a double-digit sack guy coming off the right edge, our D just isn't the same without it. Do you think Simon can be that guy? If not, I would rather stick with Deebo until we can get the right player drafted and coached up.