• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chargers Head Coach....cost his team that game!

Chicoman

Reaction score
If you watched the game in the 3rd QTR with almost 10 minutes on the clock and the Chargers facing a 4th & 2 from their 18 yd line....decided to go for it. THEY FAILED and basically gifted the Raiders 3 points. At the time the score of the game was Raiders 17 - 14 Chargers.....far from desperation. It cost them the game and was one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen in my life! Who in their right mind makes a call like that? I know they supposedly have some little card they turn to for advice but cmon man that is common sense....you punt the ball away there...especially when your only down by a FG.

TERRIBLE CALL! JUST TERRIBLE!

Can you imagine if Tomlin made that call? This board would be on FIRE!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
They were in it til the very end

carbonsteel

Reaction score
Raider FG with 0:02 left in OT.
1st time I've rooted for the Raiders - possibly ever.

Can you get any closer?

I do have to admit - with the stupid calls of the Charger HC - this is starting to feel like the WWE in terms of manipulating outcomes.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Chargers should fire their HC and hire our Coach. No, not Tomlin, "Coach".

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
only Tomlin makes bad decisions during games

But Tomlin makes his decisions with his "gut". I may disagree but i can at least respect that. Staley makes his decisions on a spreadsheet some eggheads cooked up. It's fine to use that data to help make a decision but it's cowardly to make the call and then when it fails, point to the chart and claim you were right.

At least Tomlin owns it when his call doesn't work. These analytics people act like it was just a glitch in the matrix when their decisions don't work.

The Chargers are out of the playoffs due to analytics.... Stat That

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
If you watched the game in the 3rd QTR with almost 10 minutes on the clock and the Chargers facing a 4th & 2 from their 18 yd line....decided to go for it. THEY FAILED and basically gifted the Raiders 3 points. At the time the score of the game was Raiders 17 - 14 Chargers.....far from desperation. It cost them the game and was one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen in my life! Who in their right mind makes a call like that? I know they supposedly have some little card they turn to for advice but cmon man that is common sense....you punt the ball away there...especially when your only down by a FG.

Agree 100%. Pure dumbassery

madinsomniac

Reaction score
But Tomlin makes his decisions with his "gut". I may disagree but i can at least respect that. Staley makes his decisions on a spreadsheet some eggheads cooked up. It's fine to use that data to help make a decision but it's cowardly to make the call and then when it fails, point to the chart and claim you were right.

At least Tomlin owns it when his call doesn't work. These analytics people act like it was just a glitch in the matrix when their decisions don't work.

The Chargers are out of the playoffs due to analytics.... Stat That
analytics are great if used right... if not they are a black hole. The issues with guys like the chargers coach is that trends change... if you arent adjusting your charts to fit league trends you dick yourself over.... defenses have gotten adjusted to these offenses.... dont get me wrong, offenses still have huge advantages, but its not as great as it was a few years back, so you go more conservative unless there is a slant in the other direction....

there is a sweet spot of the opponents 45-40 yard line where its still very advantageous to go for it on 4th down where long field goals are technically more risky and punting is stupid. where they did it should have been reserved for desperation drives

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
analytics are great if used right... if not they are a black hole. The issues with guys like the chargers coach is that trends change... if you arent adjusting your charts to fit league trends you dick yourself over.... defenses have gotten adjusted to these offenses.... dont get me wrong, offenses still have huge advantages, but its not as great as it was a few years back, so you go more conservative unless there is a slant in the other direction....

there is a sweet spot of the opponents 45-40 yard line where its still very advantageous to go for it on 4th down where long field goals are technically more risky and punting is stupid. where they did it should have been reserved for desperation drives
Yeah, I'd like to examine any analytical chart that recommends going for it on 4th and a long 1 at your own 18 in a three point game early in the third quarter. Sounds like bullshit to me.

str8liner

Reaction score
I could not believe that call. You think its just a offsides attempt then they snapped it to everyone's surprise and got stuffed....

Mrs. yelled from other room to stop yelling at TV lol.

GILBERT

Reaction score
He should be fired for calling that timeout. Great for us!

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The best call of the day though was the Giants calling a QB sneak on 3rd & 9, rofl!!!!!!!! Awesome!

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Saw a couple minutes of the broadcast right at the end of SNF. Ekeler was talking to a Raiders player, and the Raiders player said something to Ekeler, and Ekeler responds, "Oh jeez." I suspect that the Raiders player was telling Ekeler that the Raiders were playing for the tie until the Chargers timeout.

t-man

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

He also screwed the pooch with his **** you timeout.

Joe

maowv

Contributor
Reaction score
Some of these Dougie Howser coaches aren't as smart as they think they are.

Chargers really made a mess of that one. Oh well, tip of the cap to them.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score