• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chase Claypool leads the NFL in DPI yards

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Steelers rookie wide receiver Chase Claypool has drawn six defensive pass interference penalties for 135 yards. Of those penalties, half of them were on either third or fourth down and would have otherwise ended the drive. As for how those drives ended, three were concluded with field goals, two with touchdowns, and one was an interception. Claypool has drawn more DPI yards in 2020 then any other receiver in the NFL.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...-penalties-claypool-smith-schuster-washington

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And he still should have triple that

Like i said, jersey contract be damned... get that guy a jersey that has a velcro tearaway section on the back and he’d have five or more extra tds this season..... he gets held on every other route...

The league would never allow it, but that would be AWESOME!

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The league would never allow it, but that would be AWESOME!

It would be worth the fine to do that vs one of those weasel teams.... the db just standing there with the jersey piece in his hand watching chase cross the goal line....

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It would be worth the fine to do that vs one of those weasel teams.... the db just standing there with the jersey piece in his hand watching chase cross the goal line....

Odds are the refs would throw a flag on Claypool and march the Steelers back 15 yards on the spot. And then they'd disqualify Claypool for not having a jersey.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
IMO, Claypool needs more targets. His impact on the game when he's held or not held is very impactful.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, Claypool needs more targets. His impact on the game when he's held or not held is very impactful.

Once again he will get targets as his play, knowledge and in game situations allow for it. All the receivers are worthy of more targets but you only have so many plays in a game. He continues to grow in his role and the lack of too much focus on any one receiver keeps the other teams guessing.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

L5Dv.gif

And would you STFU already about him needing more targets. Guy already has 10 TDs in his first 10 games as a rookie.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

At the expense of who? And do we really want Ben focusing on feeding the ball to one receiver a majority of the time. Didn't work out so well last time we were in that position. As a matter of fact, I'd say that the focus on feeding Mr. Big Chest actually ****** us in a lot of "must have" situations; the defense knew who to double/triple. Right now Ben is feeding the open man/exploiting matchups. His field generalship is the best I've ever seen it. Hell, we have 3 WRs with over 500 yards and a TE with over 300 yards who hasn't been a main focus of the offense.
Basically, feed Claypool when he's open or the matchup dictates it. But don't deviate from what's been working!

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
At the expense of who? And do we really want Ben focusing on feeding the ball to one receiver a majority of the time. Didn't work out so well last time we were in that position. As a matter of fact, I'd say that the focus on feeding Mr. Big Chest actually ****** us in a lot of "must have" situations; the defense knew who to double/triple. Right now Ben is feeding the open man/exploiting matchups. His field generalship is the best I've ever seen it. Hell, we have 3 WRs with over 500 yards and a TE with over 300 yards who hasn't been a main focus of the offense.
Basically, feed Claypool when he's open or the matchup dictates it. But don't deviate from what's been working!

^^^This is the football content we are looking for^^^^^

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So far I have seen no one that can cover him. There is holding or PI on almost every route he runs and it is rarely called. Dude is already a beast but think about him making that leap from year one to two. Ben is never going to want to retire if they can keep the WR's they have now along with Ebron. He's a kid in a candy store and he is still not up to full speed in his recovery.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score

FeistyKlutzyBeaver-size_restricted.gif

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Id argue that we should use him as little as needed until the playoffs... no use getting him extra wear and tear for meaningless stats...

The kids a rookie , and rookies hit a wall if overused.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Once again he will get targets as his play, knowledge and in game situations allow for it. All the receivers are worthy of more targets but you only have so many plays in a game. He continues to grow in his role and the lack of too much focus on any one receiver keeps the other teams guessing.

Yes and No. I see him open, at times for TDs. Ben's looks for Johnson too often. Sooner of later DC's will wise up and jump one of Johnson's routes.

While Johnson is good, he doesn't make the type of plays or draw the type of DPI calls that lead to points as often.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Yes and No. I see him open, at times for TDs. Ben's looks for Johnson too often. Sooner of later DC's will wise up and jump one of Johnson's routes.

While Johnson is good, he doesn't make the type of plays or draw the type of DPI calls that lead to points as often.

I have never seen a defensive coordinator jump any routes during a game.

Johnson makes plenty of plays to set up scores or extend drives. I love Claypool and have been saying from early on he needs more touches...but the way the offense is working, the open guy is getting the ball. Johnson, Claypool, JuJu, Ebron, Washington, whoever is open....that is who should be targeted

madinsomniac

Reaction score

Johnson is tge logical wr to run the AB routes, and this offense is still very saturated in those old plays.... it stands to reason that AB was often the early read back then so Johnson gets a lot of those targets now...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I have never seen a defensive coordinator jump any routes during a game.

Johnson makes plenty of plays to set up scores or extend drives. I love Claypool and have been saying from early on he needs more touches...but the way the offense is working, the open guy is getting the ball. Johnson, Claypool, JuJu, Ebron, Washington, whoever is open....that is who should be targeted

Claypool needs more touches. Agree with you there. But believe it or not these short predetermined throws where Johnson cuts ( usually to the sideline ) can be jumped by a Db's knowing based on formation and field potion, which way Johnson will cut.

When you milk the short passing game what happens? Safeties are deployed closer to the LOS, right? Exactly and that makes it a little tougher to run the ball. When you hit a deep pass or two, what happens? Safeties tend to back off giving the back a bit more room to run. I think you get it. Other yahoo's probably not.

Johnson is averaging 11 yards per catch, and converting on 60.5% of his catches. By contrast Claypool is averaging 14.2 yards per catch, has scored double the amount of touchdowns, and draws way more impactful pass interference calls. To me its clean Johnson is being force feed a bit too much by Ben and Claypool needs more targets.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
L5Dv.gif

And would you STFU already about him needing more targets. Guy already has 10 TDs in his first 10 games as a rookie.

If you only had a clue...

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Claypool needs more touches. Agree with you there. But believe it or not these short predetermined throws where Johnson cuts ( usually to the sideline ) can be jumped by a Db's knowing based on formation and field potion, which way Johnson will cut.

When you milk the short passing game what happens? Safeties are deployed closer to the LOS, right? Exactly and that makes it a little tougher to run the ball. When you hit a deep pass or two, what happens? Safeties tend to back off giving the back a bit more room to run. I think you get it. Other yahoo's probably not.

Johnson is averaging 11 yards per catch, and converting on 60.5% of his catches. By contrast Claypool is averaging 14.2 yards per catch, has scored double the amount of touchdowns, and draws way more impactful pass interference calls. To me its clean Johnson is being force feed a bit too much by Ben and Claypool needs more targets.

but you are wrong...Ben is not forcing ****, he is hitting the open receiver. Johnson is quicker and tends to get open sooner..IMO...when the safeties move up that is when Ben goes deep, and I have said many times the deep balls should be to Claypool, but Johnson and Washington have made deep plays also.

. No one said those routes couldn't be jumped by a DB...I said a DC has never jumped one. I trust Ben on preventing the DB from jumping one of Johnson's routes, he is smart enough to see how they are playing and either go with the pump fake and send Johnson down field or hit another open receiver.

This is just another case of you finding some bullshit thing to latch on to and not wanting to view the situation with an open mind

Last edited:

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
but you are wrong...Ben is not forcing ****, he is hitting the open receiver. Johnson is quicker and tends to get open sooner..IMO...when the safeties move up that is when Ben goes deep, and I have said many times the deep balls should be to Claypool, but Johnson and Washington have made deep plays also.

. No one said those routes couldn't be jumped by a DB...I said a DC has never jumped one. I trust Ben on preventing the DB from jumping one of Johnson's routes, he is smart enough to see how they are playing and either go with the pump fake and send Johnson down field or hit another open receiver.

This is just another case of you finding some bullshit thing to latch on to and not wanting to view the situation with an open mind

Ben is not just finding the open receiver, he is reading the defense and understanding who will be the open receiver based on how the both S's react at the snap. He is playing darn smart football right now. I don't have the film this year so can't watch, but I suspect Claypool is probably drawing doubles most plays. Teams have to look at our receivers and prioritize him as the biggest threat.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score

How far into the article that you originally cited did you read? I'm asking because it seems to me that you may have missed the parts about how physicality from the WRs help lead to DPI and how:

Unlike his fellow wide receivers, Diontae Johnson doesn’t escalate the physicality of the matchup, and when he beats his defender, one of his best traits shows up, his ability to evade and escape physical defense ... You can’t hold what you can’t get a hand on.

The most impressive trait Diontae Johnson showed in college was his releases against physical defenders, and his ability to not just win, but dominate hand fighting in his route. That skill set has translated beautifully to the NFL, and Johnson continues to be a nightmare for cornerbacks who depend on getting physical with receivers.

Now, to my mind, you can't always count on the refs to actually call DPI when it's there. That means you had better have a receiver that can defeat the physicality of the CBs, maintain his route and make the catch. (Johnson has issues with this last part sometimes, I will admit). The thing that bothers me about your post is that you make it out to be an "either this, or that" thing when what's best for the team, what has actually been working is "This, That AND The Others".