• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chase Claypool Looks Poised For Second Year Breakout

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Despite the tough ending, there were many positives to take away from the end of the Pittsburgh Steelers season last year. One of the biggest was Chase Claypool’s rookie year performance.

Claypool was a problem for defenses right from the first game when he caught a tightly contested sideline pass from Ben Roethlisberger over two New York Giants defenders. From then on he got better and better until defenses started honing in on him, and the offense as a whole began to sputter out. Claypool had some truly spectacular games, his most memorable being against the Philadelphia Eagles where he recorded 7 catches for 110 yards and 4 total touchdowns (3 receiving and 1 rushing). It was truly electric and flashed what he was capable of. Claypool ended the year with 62 catches for 873 yards and 9 touchdowns, and added 2 touchdowns on the ground.

Now removed from his rookie year and with a full offseason, Claypool seems ready to take a big two year leap, which the Steelers always anticipate from their early round picks.

Year 2 loading…
🔋
pic.twitter.com/DOtOQD51fb

— Chase Claypool (@ChaseClaypool) June 2, 2021

He recently spoke at the teams OTA’s, and said he’s been working on strength and conditioning intensely this offseason, specifically to strengthen the right side of his body because he is left side dominant. He also spoke to the mentality of the receiver corps this year, and said they are ready to not only be a force in the pass, but the run game as well. He said the whole room is ready to get down on blocks and get their hands dirty.

Along with all of the above, he spoke on his relationship with Roethlisberger, Matt Canada’s new offense, and his role in it. He had this to say about his relationship with Ben:

“It’s a lot more friendly, less talk about football, more talk about random things, more jokes back and forth. A lot more fun.’”

I’m regards to the new offense he said this:

“It’s pretty easy to transition into it…it’s not too much of a learning curve and I think we’ll be able to stick with it throughout the season.”

He also believes he will be getting extra attention from defenses as he was towards the end of last year, and said as long as other guys are getting opportunities because of it, he is fine with it.

He is certainly saying and doing all the right things to get the team and fans excited. Based off last season, it is hard to believe he isn’t poised to have an explosive sophomore campaign.

What do you think, Steeler Nation? Is Claypool ready to break out? Will he take a step back? Let us know in the comment section below and on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think he has the skillset to make that second year leap. Oline protection and Ben's overall health factor in. But I wouldn't be shocked if that Canada boy continues to emerge into a true number 1 receiver. Kudos to our draftniks that pimped him. Think about it the last three/four drafts people have pimped hard the Steelers top picks. **** Ford even picked the fricken punter. Can we fast forward to next year's draft (I kid I kid)?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully when the ball hits his hands they catch it.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully when the ball hits his hands they catch it.
I am more concerned with Ebron and Johnson in regards to their hands. I think Claypool will learn to be a quick study lessening his drops this season.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
He could very well be the next Steelers great wideout. I am excited to see his 2nd year progress

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
These kind of interviews / insightful articles get me PUMPED, thanks Sean !!!

early bird prediction Claypool will surpass is catches / yards / TDs of last year and be a main force that defenses will game plan him and as he himself said....... if that opens up the next guy then he is A-ok with that.!!! I also see with his stregnth he wins more combat catch battles and his down field blocking gets even better.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If he makes the "second-year leap", the dude will be considered one of the best in the league. He was a beast as a rookie. No one could cover him. It was either a catch or PI (whether it was called or typically not). He's big, fast, strong and has good hands. He won't get the numbers he could if we didn't have so many mouths to feed but I expect more of the same where no one can truly cover him and he won't be held back for a handful of games like Tomlin did last year that took him out of his rhythm.

He'll be getting the double teams this year and opening things up for everyone else.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
held back for a handful of games like Tomlin did last year
Yeah .... WTH was that all about. Kid was having a great year then he gets written out of the gameplan essentially. He's a big strong kid ... let him play!

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah .... WTH was that all about. Kid was having a great year then he gets written out of the gameplan essentially. He's a big strong kid ... let him play!
He said he felt good all year and was not wearing down but Tomlin held him back anyway. With Najee this year, I hope he runs him most of the time but not run the wheels off like he likes to with RB's. We should have a complement back that gets a handful of touches in each game. Just give Najee a breather here and there throughout each game.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
He said he felt good all year and was not wearing down but Tomlin held him back anyway. With Najee this year, I hope he runs him most of the time but not run the wheels off like he likes to with RB's. We should have a complement back that gets a handful of touches in each game. Just give Najee a breather here and there throughout each game.

A-N-D

when the game is in hand....................... bench him and don't worry about running up stats. Same with Roethlisberger.

Salute the nation