• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chris Simms preaches the Canada/Ben Gospel for slow learners

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Canada has a band aid oline, a stud rb, a stud te, an immobile qb, a good fullback, a wr that thrives in slants and CoD and what's his game plan?
A shitshow with no passes in the middle of the field, no use whatsoever of the FB to help out the Oline, no post routes.

As others said, the guy doesn't make the best with what he has available. Too much of a coincidence that only after we are balls to the wall that the chains start moving with Ben starting to throw all over the field.

He is not a good OC, no matter how anyone wants to slice it. And probably Tomlin has a say in that play calling crap too.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It's funny the only time we moved the ball or were dangerous on offense was when we were trailing late in games, if Ben was running the show don't you think we'd have run a **** ton of no huddle? We moved the ball when Ben was in control of the play calling in the hurry up. Gerry Dulac has said it, Charlie Batch has said it, Bouchette, hell anyone that covers the team.
Ben absolutely isn't what he once was, he obviously has limitations, but one way to slow a pass rush down is to go up tempo/no huddle, something we only do when we are trailing, this goes back several years no matter who the OC is, that's Tomlin's ultra conservative offense.
And Canada got rid of the hurry-up/no-huddle offense to start the season. All they had was the 2 minute offense with limited plays. In that article months ago, Batch explained the differences. The 2 minute offense has limited plays where the no-huddle used to have over 100 plays to choose from. They had to try and create something mid-way through the season because Canada is a moron as is Tomlin for letting him do what he did.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
RPO - run, pass option - you have a run play and you have a pass play that comes in from Canaduh. At the line, Ben chooses which one of the 2 he feels we should run. When we see those throws behind the LOS on 3rd and long throughout every game, that is the pass play Canaduh dialed up. There are no reads or progressions for Ben other than to go with the run or pass play Canaduh called in. It's the run or the pass. Does that help explain this nonsense in layman's terms?

What happened to the days of old when you were supposed to get to the first down marker (or at least close to it if you were on the run and had some momentum to get there) in your route and that's where the ball was thrown? Who in their right mind thinks throwing behind the line on 3rd and long where the WR has to accelerate from a stop or even going backward and then beat the defenders to the sticks over 10 yards away? This should not be in any playbook, no matter who the QB or OL is. You may as well just kneel on the damn ball.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Canada has a band aid oline, a stud rb, a stud te, an immobile qb, a good fullback, a wr that thrives in slants and CoD and what's his game plan?
A shitshow with no passes in the middle of the field, no use whatsoever of the FB to help out the Oline, no post routes.

As others said, the guy doesn't make the best with what he has available. Too much of a coincidence that only after we are balls to the wall that the chains start moving with Ben starting to throw all over the field.

He is not a good OC, no matter how anyone wants to slice it. And probably Tomlin has a say in that play calling crap too.

I wonder how long it will take to get 10 first rounders on each unit, offense & defense? Add in the same for special teams.! Once all that happens then you will see how great this coaching staff really is..............................

Salute the nation

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I understand throwing short of the sticks sometimes but not every single time. That’s the problem. This offense has no surprises. The defense knows what’s coming. Canada doesn’t even have a screen game to help slow down a pass rush. I mean a real screen game, not just a quick throw out to the WR.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If the damn ball is floating around in the middle of the field though, look out.
I agree with Diver here. The problem with the middle is that a poorly thrown ball is much more likely to be picked. It's the reason Kordell Stewart wasn't allowed to throw to the middle very often. He threw the ball way too hard and his accuracy wasn't great so deflections were extremely likely. It's also why Kordell became known as the "Worm Killer". He was coached to throw low in order to limit those deflection/int opportunities.

IF (and I'm not conceding, just pointing out) the coaches felt Ben's accuracy or timing was slipping, they would be reluctant to have him throw in the middle as much. But of course, they had the same issues with Mason and Rudolph. And if they did have concerns about Ben's ability to throw in the middle, it had to be due to the elbow surgery since he lead the league in 2018 and demonstrated no issues whatsoever with his accuracy or timing. (or at least none significant enough to concern the coaching staff.)

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I think some fair points are made, but Simms kinda shoots his own argument in the foot when he points out that it looked to him like Roethlisberger was starting to call his own plays, move receivers around, not following Canada.

You know, that part where they started moving the ball and scoring points.

I don't disagree that the Ben of 2021 was not the same Ben as 2018. I suppose we'll never know just how much impact that elbow injury had on his ability to throw longer balls because literally, the entire offensive strategy from 2019 on has been to throw 3 yard passes regardless of who's under center. Maybe it was the line, maybe it was Ben's elbow, maybe it was the onset of declining abilities. But that doesn't explain why they had Rudolph and Duck ALSO throwing 3 yard passes all through 2019.

One of the reasons people sort of liked Duck was that he would occasionally throw something deeper than a 3 yard curl.

So, likely the cataclysmic dropoff between 2018 and 2021 is based on any number of variables. But I'd submit that Roethlisberger is only ONE of those variables. He's certainly not the sole reason the team sucked in 2021. Nor is he the sole reason the team's wheels fell off midway through an underwhelming, but at least bearable 2020.
Ben's arm has not lost any zip for the most part, the problem is his complete inability to move. The O-line stinking of course is a big part, but by the third quarter they appear to be at least average. And that is obviously because instead of leaning on running the ball early we throw a lot and tax the pass rushers, by the third quarter they are somewhat tired and again the O-line appears respectable.

It seems to be a repeated theme that in the first half we lean on the pass and this is where in bad games Ben gets his sacks and/or picks. I am not going to blame Ben or Canada(though I have pretty good info on which is screwing up what) It's just Ben is old and the O-line sucks a lot of the time...not complicated at all.

Pass rush slowed down, hurry up catches opposing D in wrong personnel, etc. Not rocket surgery at all.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Kaboly has an article in The Athletic with quotes from Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins talking about not being 18 year vets and getting to override the OC and HC and not embrace the FULL playbook and the offense this year being a bastardized hybrid but mostly what Ben did and liked before Canada.
Yes...common knowledge, except not to most here for some reason. You can see the same formations and plays going all the way back to Arians. My guess is they were running 20% of Canada's stuff because when you have red paint you paint the barn red....obviously. Tomlin came so close to just spelling it out.....

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I understand throwing short of the sticks sometimes but not every single time. That’s the problem. This offense has no surprises. The defense knows what’s coming. Canada doesn’t even have a screen game to help slow down a pass rush. I mean a real screen game, not just a quick throw out to the WR.
You want THIS O-line to set up a screen:ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Canada was an absolute **** show this year. That being said he could be far better than what we saw this year if he has actual control of the offense with a QB who will do what he calls and is capable of running when needed and making a play action fake believable. If he utilizes the QB under center more and runs multiple plays from the same formations and truly utilizes motion effectively he could be ok. Now I am not sold on him actually doing these things and making adjustments but we will see.

I love Ben in fact I am waiting on a home authentic Ben jersey. I also am willing to consider he was as much the problem as Canada in his physical limitations and unwillingness to hold onto the ball anymore and make a play. He potentially hamstrung what Canada was trying to do but Canada never truly adjusted to what he could do either.
"With Ben Roethlisberger retiring, the duo of Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins will be in the mix to replace him. Both aren’t considered mobile quarterbacks but can move better than a 39-year-old, 18-year vet with a bad knee. The most success Canada had in college was when Nathan Peterman ran the offense at Pitt in 2016. He threw the ball well that year, but his 72 carries for a 4.0 yards per average accentuated Canada’s offense.

Peterman can be put in the same group as Rudolph and Haskins. Rudolph ran a 4.9 40-yard dash, Haskins a 5.04 and Peterman a 4.82 at the combine.

“Quarterback mobility is valued, not only by me but by everyone,” Tomlin said. “It’s just a component of today’s game and increasingly so.”

If you watched Mason's last two games he was in he made several runs including a 26+ yard one..I think he was showing Canada he's willing to run and he's mobile...LOL...kind of.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
"With Ben Roethlisberger retiring, the duo of Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins will be in the mix to replace him. Both aren’t considered mobile quarterbacks but can move better than a 39-year-old, 18-year vet with a bad knee. The most success Canada had in college was when Nathan Peterman ran the offense at Pitt in 2016. He threw the ball well that year, but his 72 carries for a 4.0 yards per average accentuated Canada’s offense.

Peterman can be put in the same group as Rudolph and Haskins. Rudolph ran a 4.9 40-yard dash, Haskins a 5.04 and Peterman a 4.82 at the combine.

“Quarterback mobility is valued, not only by me but by everyone,” Tomlin said. “It’s just a component of today’s game and increasingly so.”

If you watched Mason's last two games he was in he made several runs including a 26+ yard one..I think he was showing Canada he's willing to run and he's mobile...LOL...kind of.
Mobile might be a stretch but straight line he is faster than Haskins. Haskins may be a bit more agile. Neither are ever going to be LJ. Mason is boring but I am ok with that if he can play smart and throw catchable deep balls and use the middle of the field off of playaction. Something we lacked the last couple years for a variety of reasons. Haskins will need to make a huge leap mentally to be the guy. He has to learn to anticipate guys being open and make reads and progressions. Mason is way ahead of him there. Masons biggest issue has been pocket presence and feeling the rush. He has improved there. He could be far better than many think. Also maybe not.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Mobile might be a stretch but straight line he is faster than Haskins. Haskins may be a bit more agile. Neither are ever going to be LJ. Mason is boring but I am ok with that if he can play smart and throw catchable deep balls and use the middle of the field off of playaction. Something we lacked the last couple years for a variety of reasons. Haskins will need to make a huge leap mentally to be the guy. He has to learn to anticipate guys being open and make reads and progressions. Mason is way ahead of him there. Masons biggest issue has been pocket presence and feeling the rush. He has improved there. He could be far better than many think. Also maybe not.
You're absolutely right on Haskins and Mason. Mason is kind of a contradiction in that he throws a pretty deep ball with zip, then on the intermediate stuff it's like he has to Lolipop it for it to get there. I don't get that unless it's hesitation and/or uncertainty. He doesn't have a cannon that's for sure, but you really don't need one in today's game.

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
Charlie Batch flat out said the scheme was the problem, and you're not going to do a damn thing when the RB is getting hit in the backfield on the majority of his carries, and the QB, regardless if it's Ben or Mason has 2.5 seconds to throw before being under pressure
A lot of the Pittsburgh sports media is regurgitating this garbage, and Charlie is now part of that bunch. Does Batch even consider the patchwork O-line? Scheme isn't the reason the RB is being hit in the backfield, linemen who can't identify is.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
You're absolutely right on Haskins and Mason. Mason is kind of a contradiction in that he throws a pretty deep ball with zip, then on the intermediate stuff it's like he has to Lolipop it for it to get there. I don't get that unless it's hesitation and/or uncertainty. He doesn't have a cannon that's for sure, but you really don't need one in today's game.
Pretty deep ball ....it is those tight windows that give him fits and limit TD production. Deep throws you can wall off an area where you anticipate a WR to be over his shoulder etc. Perhaps the windows aren't as tight as those closer intermediate throws ...so that can be an element of being INT scared causing hesitation.

Benson Dobbs

Reaction score
On Wednesday, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph spoke to the media and the focus was on his future role with this team. The pending retirement of Ben Roethlisberger leaves the door wide open for Rudolph to be the team’s starting quarterback in 2022.

This is something Rudolph wants badly and said he’s going into the offseason with a “screw it” mentality and not holding back.

Rudolph’s main competition for the starting spot will be Dwayne Haskins. It’s unlikely the Steelers will dig deep into free agency so it could be Rudolph’s job to lose.

In 10 career starts, Rudolph is 5-4-1. Listening to Rudolph, he sounds very confident and almost seems to be relieved to know Roethlisberger is going to be gone and he can put his own stamp on the offense. He even went so far as to say he will be glad to not be stepping on any toes, which I assume meant Roethlisberger. Rudolph also seems to be on board with the Matt Canada offense.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Lady? Bob hasn't seen one of them since she deflated. Perhaps try crazy glue or not being so rough.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I'll post this 1,000 times. If Canada is fired tomorrow, who's hiring him as an offensive coordinator? An NFL team? A Power 5 college team? Doubt it. He's more likely to be sitting out another year of football than getting hired again. Look at Fichtner.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty deep ball ....it is those tight windows that give him fits and limit TD production. Deep throws you can wall off an area where you anticipate a WR to be over his shoulder etc. Perhaps the windows aren't as tight as those closer intermediate throws ...so that can be an element of being INT scared causing hesitation.
He has thrown some ropes. He just doesn't do it on a regular basis but I think/hope it is a matter of truly being in command of the offense and being the guy.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
He has thrown some ropes. He just doesn't do it on a regular basis but I think/hope it is a matter of truly being in command of the offense and being the guy.
I dunno I seen a lot of that red zone inability to squeeze the ball in those windows. I can't say that gives me a lot of confidence he can get the job done. If he is interception shy or gun shy not sure that is getting fixed. We'll see I guess.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno I seen a lot of that red zone inability to squeeze the ball in those windows. I can't say that gives me a lot of confidence he can get the job done. If he is interception shy or gun shy not sure that is getting fixed. We'll see I guess.
It isn't physical inability in the Redzone that i am seeing. He can make those throws. It is a sphincter tightening issue close to the goal where he is trying to be too perfect and not just throwing it like he does outside the 20's. If he would just let it rip he would be fine but he is thinking to much down there. Just like DJ when he makes a drop it snowballs on him mentally. Both can be fixed.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It isn't physical inability in the Redzone that i am seeing. He can make those throws. It is a sphincter tightening issue close to the goal where he is trying to be too perfect and not just throwing it like he does outside the 20's. If he would just let it rip he would be fine but he is thinking to much down there. Just like DJ when he makes a drop it snowballs on him mentally. Both can be fixed.
What is he now? In his 4th season? Not buying his stock but would love to see a QB on the roster shine. I hope you are right.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
What is he now? In his 4th season? Not buying his stock but would love to see a QB on the roster shine. I hope you are right.
4th calendar year but as an on the field player he has less than a full season of starts and most young QBs take at least a full season to get their **** together, unlike Ben. Haskins is sort of in the same boat but with less mental preparedness from an x's and o's perspective.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
4th calendar year but as an on the field player he has less than a full season of starts and most young QBs take at least a full season to get their **** together, unlike Ben. Haskins is sort of in the same boat but with less mental preparedness from an x's and o's perspective.
I wish I could have your optimism and ultimately it is a wait and see. Thing is that leash needs to be short and you have to have other options IMO. Have to have multiple baskets of eggs.😁 If they want to let him compete fine. But surround him with competition...

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
I'll bet you're right.

steelreeling

Reaction score
And Canada got rid of the hurry-up/no-huddle offense to start the season. All they had was the 2 minute offense with limited plays. In that article months ago, Batch explained the differences. The 2 minute offense has limited plays where the no-huddle used to have over 100 plays to choose from. They had to try and create something mid-way through the season because Canada is a moron as is Tomlin for letting him do what he did.
lol