• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach's draft/offseason thoughts (look at me..look at me)

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Off season:

Re-sign Dupree. He has earned it. Why mess with a great front seven? If Dupree exits via free agency, we have Chickillo or draft pick projected to start in his place, meaning Watt will see double teams more often.

Let Hargrave walk, and take a projected 3rd or 4th compensatory pick in 2021.

Open up cap space for 2020 and beyond.

Cut Barron. If cut, the Steelers save 5.25 Million in cap space. The Steelers paid a hefty price to trade up and get Bush. While Barron did play better down the stretch, but he's not worth what the Steelers are playing him.

Cut Foster. The Steelers will save 4 million by cutting Foster. If he wants to restructure to a more cap-friendly number, okay. I doubt he will.

Cut Chickillo. Vastly overpaid, the Steelers can cut him and save 5 million.

Cut Berry. I think the Steelers can cut him and save 1.8 million on the salary cap. A rookie free agent or a draft pick could cheaply replace Berry and upgrade the position.

This opens up a little over 16 million in cap space. I don't want to spend a lot in free agency, I want depth, and cap space to re-load as Ben won't be here forever ,and its unclear at what level he will be playing at when he returns.

Re-sign Finney. 3 million a year sounds fair. He can start at G or back up center.

Re-sign McDonald, but only with a low ball offer with incentives on games played. If McDonald leaves, I'll take whatever comp pick we get for him and drat a TE in round 2-4, or sign a cheap one in free agency. I don't think Vance will fetch big dollars in free agency.

I don't want to spend a lot in free agency, I want depth, and cap space to re-load as Ben won't be here forever ,and its unclear at what level he will be playing at when he returns.

Draft:

The way I see it, the Steelers have primary needs at NT/DT, C, G, TE, RB. Secondary needs include depth at S, and quarterback of the future.

With very few drafts picks to spend, and just a mid-round pick in round two and a compensatory pick in round three, I'm for BPA for primary needs, and I don't care if we draft an interior lineman and DT/NT. One exception, if Eason drops, I think he has enough upside and would take him in round two...as long as he doesn't work out poorly. You can say the same for Justin Jefferson who brunt many SEC CB's.

The best news? Tomlin's contact is set to expire in 2021. This way Rooney won't have to fire him. With the sun setting on Ben's career I want to preserve the defense and have some cap space for our next head coach. Have no illusions, our glass isn't full but it can be half full with the upside for a refill if we plan ahead for life without Ben, and hopefully Tomlin.

Last edited:

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/UakyybCcVBETC" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/comedian-richard-pryor-1982-UakyybCcVBETC">via GIPHY</a></p>

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - you said Chick was going to the HOF...

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Off season:

Re-sign Dupree. He has earned it. Why mess with a great front seven? If Dupree exits via free agency, we have Chickillo or draft pick projected to start in his place, meaning Watt will see double teams more often.

You're saying a draft pick will start over the existing rostered OLBs we currently have should Durpee not be resigned.......

If Durpee is signed then you may get this wish...

Cut Barron. If cut, the Steelers save 5.25 Million in cap space. The Steelers paid a hefty price to trade up and get Bush. While Barron did play better down the stretch, but he's not worth what the Steelers are playing him.

Could easily happen or possible restructure.

Cut Foster. The Steelers will save 4 million by cutting Foster. If he wants to restructure to a more cap-friendly number, okay. I doubt he will.

I see this as a given. Foster is the oldest but also the "weak link" in the OL scheme.

Hard to cut a future HOFer but in this case, I'm all for it and yes this is a given.

Cut Berry. I think the Steelers can cut him and save 1.8 million on the salary cap. A rookie free agent or a draft pick could cheaply replace Berry and upgrade the position.

NOT so fast on this, bring in HIGH competition and give newbie fair shake..... Err kick....UUmmm punts

This opens up a little over 16 million in cap space. I don't want to spend a lot in free agency, I want depth, and cap space to re-load as Ben won't be here forever ,and its unclear at what level he will be playing at when he returns.

I see your line of thinking and yes it could be an admiral approach but our coaching / GM sometimes has a hard time looking to the future in regards of "CAP HIT" VS Personel and YOU must realize after this season there is NO CBA in place so there may be no cap.........

Re-sign Finney. 3 million a year sounds fair. He can start at G or back up center.

Re-sign McDonald, but only with a low ball offer with incentives on games played. If McDonald leaves, I'll take whatever comp pick we get for him and drat a TE in round 2-4, or sign a cheap one in free agency. I don't think Vance will fetch big dollars in free agency.

Both could happen as you say but will VANCE restructure on the cheap....... Probably his last payday..or close

I don't want to spend a lot in free agency, I want depth, and cap space to re-load as Ben won't be here forever ,and its unclear at what level he will be playing at when he returns.

THIS will be a hard factor to predict, your want and what the team does is irrelevant, I think front office has a somewhat plan on their upcoming FA spending.

Draft:

The way I see it, the Steelers have primary needs at NT/DT, C, G, TE, RB. Secondary needs include depth at S, and quarterback of the future.

With very few drafts picks to spend, and just a mid-round pick in round two and a compensatory pick in round three, I'm for BPA for primary needs, and I don't care if we draft an interior lineman and DT/NT. One exception, if Eason drops, I think he has enough upside and would take him in round two...as long as he doesn't work out poorly. You can say the same for Justin Jefferson who brunt many SEC CB's.

I think offense is PRIORITY on this upcoming draft. BEN ROETHLISBERGER is only here for 1-2 years max, LOAD the offense and make sure he is protected.

The best news? Tomlin's contact is set to expire in 2021. This way Rooney won't have to fire him. With the sun setting on Ben's career I want to preserve the defense and have some cap space for our next head coach. Have no illusions, our glass isn't full but it can be half full with the upside for a refill if we plan ahead for life without Ben, and hopefully Tomlin.

BEST NEWS............ Some agree & some disagree, I currently would like to see change but also want to see what this up coming season will look like now that we have a respectable defense. Can Tomlin put together a strong we nuogh offense to compliment this defense,....... Time will tell and we ONLY have a very small window. I definately wanted OC & STs coaching up-grade but that isn't going to happen so TOMLIN live by his friends or DIE BY HIS FRIENDS because in my opinion, it's make or break on the entire coaching staff this season.

Coolie, am I gaining or losing ground ???

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
By cutting Barron you open up a potential hole that was just short time ago closed. Extend him or free up money elsewhere.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh and cooch I look forward to hearing YouTube's ... Walter footba....er your draft opinions. Be sure to throw out 50 or so prospects you like that way you can stick to who "you would have picked" regularly scheduled program.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Oh and cooch I look forward to hearing YouTube's ... Walter footba....er your draft opinions. Be sure to throw out 50 or so prospects you like that way you can stick to who "you would have picked" regularly scheduled program.

You remain clueless dick, but just for you I'll show you who the Steelers should have picked then rub it in your face 1-2 years later after the guy I like / liked are doing better. Fair?

Flashback, Burns was a bad pick. The Steelers should have traded down, picked up an extra 3rd round pick and chosen Howard in round two and Simmons in round three. Fact! Now look up how good the two guys I liked are and how bad Burns was.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/UakyybCcVBETC" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - you said Chick was going to the HOF...

Never said that. Do you enjoy lying?

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Off season:

Draft:

If you want Dupree resigned then those 16M you just freed up are gone there. Is not that you don't want to spend more in FA, reality is you can't after keeping Bud

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You remain clueless dick, but just for you I'll show you who the Steelers should have picked then rub it in your face 1-2 years later after the guy I like / liked are doing better. Fair?

Flashback, Burns was a bad pick. The Steelers should have traded down, picked up an extra 3rd round pick and chosen Howard in round two and Simmons in round three. Fact! Now look up how good the two guys I liked are and how bad Burns was.
No need to get angry junior you just happen to be the worst draftnick in history. But I tell you what ...

right now respond with who you would take in each round of the upcoming Steelers draft. I will quote it and we will view your brilliance for years to come. Hurry over to Walterfootball and make your selections.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score

fact, you are wrong more often than you are right.

fact, you are an attention ***** who hates being called out about it

fact, you routinely find information elsewhere and post it as your own. It has been shown many many times so don't expect me to show examples now

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Off season:

Draft:

Lots of obvious statements here, so nothing new is presented. However, for your educational improvement, please note, McDonald isn’t leaving unless he is cut, of which there would be no comp pick. If he plays his option year (which can be renegotiated) the comp pick would be for 2022.

Hargrave just signed with Rosenhaus, so he will get huge money elsewhere which correlates into the highest round comp pick available (3rd Rd) in 2021.

I see you have flipped your pancake on Bud, as you have frequently in the past lambasted his presence on this D.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Anyone can prove 50% of their comments in hindsight...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No point in trying to get QB of the future in 2nd. Wasted pick. Patch it up. See what you can do. If next year was like the last two dump Tomlin, draft a qb in round one in 2021. I agree with most of the rest of it. But I'm weary of Bud.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on my phone but I'm 1000% sure YOU stated that Chick was better than everyone outside of Deebo but Coach Tomlin was stupid for keeping him on the bench.

Notice there is no list of who he wants as requested? He prefers to wait for everyone else's opinions and make them his own.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Notice there is no list of who he wants as requested? He prefers to wait for everyone else's opinions and make them his own.

Cooch's selections are below, as indicated in order that they WILL be available.

Bradley Anae, DE/OLB, Utah
Albert Okwuegbunam, TE, Missouri
Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
Jake Hanson, C, Oregon
Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah
Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State
Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State
Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne
Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn
Kenny Willekes, DE, Michigan State
Terrance Steele, OT, Texas Tech
K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State
Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State
Jordyn Brooks, LB, Texas Tech
Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia
Julian Okwara, DE/OLB, Notre Dame

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Hargrove signed with Rosenhaus today. He won’t be back.

ianv2012

Reaction score

fact, you routinely find information elsewhere and post it as your own. It has been shown many many times so don't expect me to show examples now

img.gif

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

False. My drafts are often better than the Steelers, the facts are many here can't deal with it.

Anyone who studies the draft uses what is available to them.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I'm on my phone but I'm 1000% sure YOU stated that Chick was better than everyone outside of Deebo but Coach Tomlin was stupid for keeping him on the bench.

I said he was better than Jarivs Jones, a pick I hated from day one. Get your facts correct. I rated Watt badly in round one. First here to say it. Yeah pal, I really thought a lot of Chickillo. Now I think he's in danger of being cut for cap space.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
False. My drafts are often better than the Steelers, the facts are many here can't deal with it.

Anyone who studies the draft uses what is available to them.

giphy.gif

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I said he was better than Jarivs Jones, a pick I hated from day one. Get your facts correct. I rated Watt badly in round one. First here to say it. Yeah pal, I really thought a lot of Chickillo. Now I think he's in danger of being cut for cap space.

More lies and selective memory. But keep throwing your bullshit out there.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

No dick, I want to see combine results / pro days. I've already listed a few guys I like, but that can change if their workout poorly, have a medical issue, or character issue.

But for your simple mind I'll list a few guys I like if they are there in rounds 2-3/

QB: Eason ( Workout very important )

RB: Dobbins, Edwards - Helaire, Taylor We should pick a back in round 2 or 3, unless you have faith in Conner to stay healthy Someone dynamic.

TE: Kempt - I think he can start sa a rookie

WR: Jefferson. I think he's under rated, and caught everything Burrow threw at him.

OG/C OL Bladasz, Stenberg - Inteiror OL needs a chance soon. Foster is gone, Pouncey older.

DT/NT Lawerence or Jones ( round three of 4 )

And of course we can upgrade by cutting Berry. The punter I like is Mann.