• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach's draft/offseason thoughts (look at me..look at me)

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
More lies and selective memory. But keep throwing your bullshit out there.

WRONG. I was very high on Watt, pre draft. Wrote up a summary on him to. Endorsed the pick on draft day. If this board had archives you'd be buried six feet under. Get a clue kiddo. I don't get a chance to log in as often, so don't expect a reply ASAP.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
WRONG. I was very high on Watt, pre draft. Wrote up a summary on him to. Endorsed the pick on draft day. If this board had archives you'd be buried six feet under. Get a clue kiddo. I don't get a chance to log in as often, so don't expect a reply ASAP.

I was pimping him way before you jumped on his train, so again you are wrong.

How much tape have you watched on these prospects? Shoot us a link to the game tape footage you are watching.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

Coach, you may have been HIGH but slash is speaking the truth. He was the first ONE HERE that I recall pimping TJ. slash provided a ton of analysis as I QUESTIONED him on a run down on TJ WATT. It took a little bit before you actually started or jumped on the band wagon. I Remeber this VERY well because I was impressed on slash taking the time to give me the inside and his time evaluating him on TJ WATT.

I don't have to defend slash to anyone but I also won't sit by while bullshit is spewed. Your post were "bandwagon" post(s) after the fact.

I'm glad there are very many knowledgeable posters here to give GREAT analysis of individual players. Some a little more successful than others but also respect opinions as we all share a commonality of the STEELERS. I'm grateful and hungry for their respective input on this upcoming draft. Like many here, I don't have the time to investigate, I reley on these Guy's knowledge. I'm trying to analyze more and will make attempts at putting in my two cents but am also capable of admitting I was wrong. (Coache's biggest problem).

Thank you to all who contribute.

Salute the nation

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
False. My drafts are often better than the Steelers, the facts are many here can't deal with it.

rIan5Kkh.jpg

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
False. My drafts are often better than the Steelers, the facts are many here can't deal with it.

Anyone who studies the draft uses what is available to them.

first statement is FALSE

second of course everyone uses data from elsewhere, but the honest ones give credit where it is due and do not try to pass the thoughts of others off as your own

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score

Anyone who studies the draft uses what is available to them.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/FtUsH1f20b6tW" width="480" height="263" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/FtUsH1f20b6tW">via GIPHY</a></p>

LMAO!!!

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I said he was better than Jarivs Jones, a pick I hated from day one. Get your facts correct. I rated Watt badly in round one. First here to say it. Yeah pal, I really thought a lot of Chickillo. Now I think he's in danger of being cut for cap space.

Chick better than Jarvis??? You're soooo smart...
<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/l4pThyE4beWXnLuCY" width="480" height="326" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/l4pThyE4beWXnLuCY">via GIPHY</a></p>

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
No dick, I want to see combine results / pro days. I've already listed a few guys I like, but that can change if their workout poorly, have a medical issue, or character issue.

But for your simple mind I'll list a few guys I like if they are there in rounds 2-3/

QB: Eason ( Workout very important )

RB: Dobbins, Edwards - Helaire, Taylor We should pick a back in round 2 or 3, unless you have faith in Conner to stay healthy Someone dynamic.

TE: Kempt - I think he can start sa a rookie

WR: Jefferson. I think he's under rated, and caught everything Burrow threw at him.

OG/C OL Bladasz, Stenberg - Inteiror OL needs a chance soon. Foster is gone, Pouncey older.

DT/NT Lawerence or Jones ( round three of 4 )

And of course we can upgrade by cutting Berry. The punter I like is Mann.

You are HILARIOUS!!!

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You are HILARIOUS!!!

Keep in mind some things:

He has seen zero tape on any prospect
His naming a **** load of players is his typical approach, then next year he will say oh I was high on Dobbins I said it first!
When coach latches on to an idea he sticks to it like glue. I must have called him out on his bullshit Watt ramblings 5 times. A month from now he will still be spitting out false Watt claims yet again.

Draft scouts spend a shitload of time reviewing tapes and attending games. For coach to think he is even a pimple on any of their ***** is hysterical when it comes to draft evaluating.

The one time he even attempted to break down tape he looked like a huge colossal idiot. And laughingly lost his Ed Oliver bet being as clueless as ever.

Now knowing his past tendencies and his lack of message board time he keeps mentioning,, you damn sure know his continuous raiding of Walter Football is the only draft preparation he is doing until the combines 40 times and head sizes lists are out.

.............yeah coach I might be a dick but you are a complete maroon.

Last edited:

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score

Coach, you take a lot of **** on this board and I don't dog pile on you, I simply keep reading. But THIS, this is the dumbest, most conceited ******* thing I may have ever read on this forum. Please tell me you were drunk when you posted this.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach, you take a lot of **** on this board and I don't dog pile on you, I simply keep reading. But THIS, this is the dumbest, most conceited ******* thing I may have ever read on this forum. Please tell me you were drunk when you posted this.
Now you get why some people here can't stand him. That post is one of many of coach's bullshit spewing during his time on this board.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stoney

Reaction score
Thank you for the post, Coach. I enjoy and appreciate your insight, it makes me feel better informed and more prepared to assess the value of the picks made during the upcoming draft.

You constantly make the rest of the posters here look elementary in comparison. This place needs you.

Please never stop.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Litos, it's not that I don't like him as I don't even know him. It's the fact of his post(s) being so far out there and his opinion of himself is so HIGH it's hard to like him (as a poster) over all that.

I'm a firm believer in it takes all kinds to make this the GREATEST STEELERS MESSAGE BOARD in the world and defended his posting here amongst many other QUESTIONABLE posters as well.

WHAT turned me to mild critic of him is his obtrusive behaivior but mostly the FACT he can't admit he is wrong, about anything no matter how absurd it is.

I "may" have spelling and grammar errors but I fully admit and also let yaz know I DON'T COME HERE FOR "hooked on Phoenix" class either. Point being I admit error, no matter how minor and coach can't seem to do that regardless of how trivial. I'm not out to target but when he completely spews total BULLSHIT, I must speak up.

I encourage all poster(s) to contribute in their way they can, regardless of differing opinion and content BUT also Remeber it is our BELOVED STEELERS that are our common bind and from there we will continue forward.

When George McGover gave the order to attach at the Battle of the Little Big Horn, we attached, When Switzerland declaird war on the Germans when they attached Pearl Harbor, we were there, so when Coach makes a completely ASSinine post, like all GREAT Americans, we should ignore him and hope he goes away UNLESS he takes ownership of being wrong (if wrong and that's most of the time).

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
The draft is a crapshoot. I think just about anyone with a lot of data and knowledge of the team could do just as well in the first round, so there is literally no point in looking at that. All players who are taken in the first round that have a near consensus first round grade and even the later guys who have second or even third round grades are ALL GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Everything that happens after is hindsight. See we should have taken this guy. I knew that guy was a bust. Here is the difference. Do you have the chops to get into the room in the first place? Cause there are two ways to get into that room. You know or are related to someone (which is all too common). Or you are known to have some real football chops.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
The draft is a crapshoot. I think just about anyone with a lot of data and knowledge of the team could do just as well in the first round, so there is literally no point in looking at that. All players who are taken in the first round that have a near consensus first round grade and even the later guys who have second or even third round grades are ALL GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Everything that happens after is hindsight. See we should have taken this guy. I knew that guy was a bust. Here is the difference. Do you have the chops to get into the room in the first place? Cause there are two ways to get into that room. You know or are related to someone (which is all too common). Or you are known to have some real football chops.

No...it isn't that simple. It is countless of hours attending games, watching film and here is a catcher not just watching film but being able to identify exactly what you are watching. Not an easy task by all means. Then you have to be a good researcher know about the player off the field as well as on the field. Then you have to have a good medical staff to be able to identify medical risks. What flies with one team doesn't necessarily fly with other teams.

If it was such an easy task to identify what is best for your team in round 1 there wouldn't be so many fails from the top down.

As far as the draft being a capshoot ... to a certain degree. But if you are talented enough as a GM and gather a talented stafff, you can identify enough talent to make you better than the next guy and perhaps maybe even 31 other teams who have the same goal as you do.

There was a stretch Colbert was popping off impressive 1st rounders.

There was no **** slinging monkeys involved with that success.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
The draft is just one step...one snapshot...of a player's journey. Fans put way too much emphasis on actual draft slots to determine who is better and who is worse. They also use it to decide how good the player will/should be in his career. Its just a number and a single day that could have fallen many different ways. An injury or unexpected retirement..a vet lost to FA...a block buster trade on draft day or a team in front of you goes a route you didn't expect...allt those things and more change your draft day in real time. Guys fall. Guys Rise. **** happens and all of it can change where/when a guy is taken. The day isn't about who is number 5 or who is number 10 on the board, it is about being prepared with who you want and adapting to the draft as it falls out.

Perhaps the more important step is what happens after the draft. You know, something called player development. If you get a guy who is a good fit for your system and you give him a chance to grow then. Sometimes guys adapt well to moving up a tier in competition and skills...some just don't. But let me put it another way...was CLE really that bad at picking QB's in the first round, or do they have no idea how to build around and develop a young talent? I'd bet half those guys would have done fine on other teams. Some guys..even elite college guys...just meet their top end in college. Some guys excel and transition fine no matter what their predicted pedigree might have been draft weekend.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No...it isn't that simple. It is countless of hours attending games, watching film and here is a catcher not just watching film but being able to identify exactly what you are watching. Not an easy task by all means. Then you have to be a good researcher know about the player off the field as well as on the field. Then you have to have a good medical staff to be able to identify medical risks. What flies with one team doesn't necessarily fly with other teams.

If it was such an easy task to identify what is best for your team in round 1 there wouldn't be so many fails from the top down.

As far as the draft being a capshoot ... to a certain degree. But if you are talented enough as a GM and gather a talented stafff, you can identify enough talent to make you better than the next guy and perhaps maybe even 31 other teams who have the same goal as you do.

There was a stretch Colbert was popping off impressive 1st rounders.

There was no **** slinging monkeys involved with that success.
I disagree. There are about 45-50 guys that line up as a 1st round pick. Then there are a bunch of guys who on a reach could be possible first round guys. Picking a guy out of that simply is not rocket science. Too me the Steelers 1st round problems have happened when it was like "wtf" with the pick. Guys like Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds (though the book isn't written on him). When it would be consensus type guys like Watt, Heyward, Shazier they haven't had much trouble. After the first round, my thought lines up with you a lot more. And again, my point isn't that I could walk in and be in charge of the Steelers draft. Its that you better be a Rooney or someone with a hell fo a lot of football pedigree, or you are not getting in the door.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree. There are about 45-50 guys that line up as a 1st round pick. Then there are a bunch of guys who on a reach could be possible first round guys. Picking a guy out of that simply is not rocket science. Too me the Steelers 1st round problems have happened when it was like "wtf" with the pick. Guys like Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds (though the book isn't written on him). When it would be consensus type guys like Watt, Heyward, Shazier they haven't had much trouble. After the first round, my thought lines up with you a lot more. And again, my point isn't that I could walk in and be in charge of the Steelers draft. Its that you better be a Rooney or someone with a hell fo a lot of football pedigree, or you are not getting in the door.

Edmunds rose, Jarvis dropped and Burns was drafted in the area where he was projected if you go by draft sites,big boards, etc. But the Steelers have their own rankings. Yeah we will have to disagree because you seem to have the idea that is fairly easy process. But it is far from it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
2012 Decastro
2013 Jarvis Jones
2014 Ryan Shazier
2015 Bud Dupree
2016 Artie Burns
2017 TJ Watt
2018 Terrell Edmunds
2019 Move up for Bush
Decastro Home run, Jarvis Jones Complete bust, Shazier complete home run, Bud Dupree (I'm very leary of paying a guy that much money based upon one year) but I would say good pick, Artie Burns Complete bust, TJ Watt complete home run, Terrell Edmunds so far looks like a good player maybe, Bush. Big price looks real good but who couldn't make that pick. That's three home runs, two complete busts, two mehs and a big step up trade. You honestly believe that it would be so difficult to replicate those results?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Decastro Home run, Jarvis Jones Complete bust, Shazier complete home run, Bud Dupree (I'm very leary of paying a guy that much money based upon one year) but I would say good pick, Artie Burns Complete bust, TJ Watt complete home run, Terrell Edmunds so far looks like a good player maybe, Bush. Big price looks real good but who couldn't make that pick. That's three home runs, two complete busts, two mehs and a big step up trade. You honestly believe that it would be so difficult to replicate those results?

Jones and Burns did not test well in terms of SPARQ scores. Shazier, Dupree, Watt, Edmunds, and Bush were some of the most athletic players in the draft.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Burns started, then after being benched still managed to finish out his contract without being cut. He is a disappointment but doesn't qualify as a bust...yet. He will have his opportunity to save his career elsewhere.The only bust on that list is Jones. I would say overall that is a pretty impressive *** list. If anything the debate shows how impressive Colbert has been in round 1. Also calling Dupree a meh pick is silly.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Burns started, then after being benched still managed to finish out his contract without being cut. He is a disappointment but doesn't qualify as a bust...yet. He will have his opportunity to save his career elsewhere.The only bust on that list is Jones. I would say overall that is a pretty impressive *** list. If anything the debate shows how impressive Colbert has been in round 1. Also calling Dupree a meh pick is silly.

Slash we don't really disagree much, but Artie Burns was benched for a journeyman midway through year three. He never regained his starting position and will be gone. If that does not qualify as a 1st round bust, I really don't know what to say. By those metrics Jarvis Jones isn't a bust either. Dupree is nothing more than an unsure long term player. He has averaged 6 sacks a season. If you want to roll out a mega contract for that, again I really do not know what to say.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Slash we don't really disagree much, but Artie Burns was benched for a journeyman midway through year three. He never regained his starting position and will be gone. If that does not qualify as a 1st round bust, I really don't know what to say. By those metrics Jarvis Jones isn't a bust either. Dupree is nothing more than an unsure long term player. He has averaged 6 sacks a season. If you want to roll out a mega contract for that, again I really do not know what to say.

He still isn't meh. A player that gets tagged isn't a meh player and that is on the table for Dupree. The guy improved year to year and was a raw player coming out. I think solid would be the term worthy of association in regards to him. Getting benched doesn't make a player a bust Ike says hi. Harrison was cut repeatably and made a helluva career. Burns had some decent starts. Now if he goes to another team and is out of the league in a year or two we can talk bust. But the book is open on the player.I will agree he is a potential bust. We don't have to agree it is ok, but I think your views are a little short sighted in regards to the draft.