• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coca Cola—Be less white

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem, in my opinion, is the attempt to raise one segment of the population by demeaning another segment, while using generalizations rather than specific concerns.
A slide in the Coca Cola campaign read....

To Be Less White is to:
-be less oppressive
-be less arrogant
-be less certain
-be less defensive
-be less ignorant
-be more humble
-listen
-believe
-break with apathy
then they felt the need to add, -break with white solidarity.

If the header was "To Be More Human", while leaving off the last comment, no one would have a problem with the statement. But instead, we find ourselves, with people like Badcat, having to listen to others on a conference call bash the evil white people, what's worse, it's now socially acceptable.

Does anyone actually believe that bullying tactics, telling people they're wrong and they, and only they, must change, is a successful strategy that will result in a better society for everyone? Look, I obviously don't know what it's like to be a minority in 2021, but unless specific issues are raised, with efforts made by all concerned, things will get worse, not better, and that would be sad for all of us.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
Firstly, Badcat, I appreciate your transparency. Your comments are very eye opening and I am personally sorry that you feel that way.

There was a statement earlier in the thread that was made to this effect - "I'm just going to stay in my bubble until this is over" - isn't that the real reason that we are here, where we are, in the US and the world today?

I think that people's skin gets rubbed the wrong way when the "comparisons" start. The reason I suggested that we watch the series is so that the view points of others finally come to the forefront. The moment those stories come out - they are classified as falsehoods, bias or fake science. I'm not sure why that is but I'm willing to talk more about it.

Let's keep talking...
Yes let’s keep talking but let’s have the right conversation. Let’s talk about real issues and problems instead of blaming poor choices, failures and bad decisions on imaginary racism. Let’s talk about blacks policing their own and stopping young black men from committing 50% of all crimes. Let’s talk about how until LBJ instituted the great society welfare state blacks and whites were roughly on par and 85% of black children were born to two parent families, but now that the cycle of government dependence has settled in to the black community the bastardy rate for black children is over 70%. Until we can have a real hard conversation about substitution of race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson for men like Elder and Sowell as leaders and roll models for black Americans no progress will be made.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes let’s keep talking but let’s have the right conversation. Let’s talk about real issues and problems instead of blaming poor choices, failures and bad decisions on imaginary racism. Let’s talk about blacks policing their own and stopping young black men from committing 50% of all crimes. Let’s talk about how until LBJ instituted the great society welfare state blacks and whites were roughly on par and 85% of black children were born to two parent families, but now that the cycle of government dependence has settled in to the black community the bastardy rate for black children is over 70%. Until we can have a real hard conversation about substitution of race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson for men like Elder and Sowell as leaders and roll models for black Americans no progress will be made.

Life is difficult. This myth that certain people have it easy in life due to skin color is one of the stupidest lies ever propagated on the population. Two very, very bad things happen:
  • You minimize, indeed destroy, what one race does, i.e., the race that played a massive role in building the nation, while
  • Giving another race an inherent explanation for every failure.
Every person who has been a parent can confirm that if you give a kid an excuse for failing, then failure is vastly more likely. Failing is so easy, in all things - work, social interaction, getting enough exercise, learning another language, school, sports, being on time, being early, caring for others, and on and on. Failing is always vastly easier than succeeding. I used to run a lot (before too many knee surgeries) and we had a mantra: Finish last > DNF > DNS. We now bend over backwards to excuse the "DNS" crowd. "Oh, it's not your fault."

But it is. If something is amiss in my life, I know where the find the problem as well as the solution - in the mirror.

Finally, for decades, the better part of a century, African-Americans had to battle the racism that believed they were inferior to whites. I don't know that enough African-Americans now understand the current race myths simply further that idea.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Firstly, Badcat, I appreciate your transparency. Your comments are very eye opening and I am personally sorry that you feel that way.

There was a statement earlier in the thread that was made to this effect - "I'm just going to stay in my bubble until this is over" - isn't that the real reason that we are here, where we are, in the US and the world today?

I think that people's skin gets rubbed the wrong way when the "comparisons" start. The reason I suggested that we watch the series is so that the view points of others finally come to the forefront. The moment those stories come out - they are classified as falsehoods, bias or fake science. I'm not sure why that is but I'm willing to talk more about it.

Let's keep talking...
Everyone builds a bubble whereby they feel the most comfortable. It's human nature to socialize and congregate with people how are like minded and share the same interests. Look at us all here at Steeler Nation bound by the love, or at some point have loved, the Steelers. You and I could sit on the back of my pickup truck, I'll throw you a beer and we can eat some BBQ as we tailgate a game in the parking lot of Heinz Field. You wouldn't care if I was white, and I wouldn't care that you were black. Just two guys enjoying life in that moment. The issues start when people tell guys like you and I that there is something wrong with the other. Bermuda is one of those lefties, likes to loot, burn and pillage communities, supports defunding the police, and feels that you have some magical privilege and have been given everything in your life. Meanwhile, you hear that Badcat is one of those Racist Nazi's whose mindset has suppressed your people for decades, ignores police brutality and injustices because it doesn't affect him and his family. All of a sudden, I'm not in your bubble and you're not in mine. We're divided by delusional thinking and propaganda meant to cast a shadow on us both. The issue is that people don't get to sit on a tailgate drinking beer and have these types of conversations with one another. I don't know what you go through on a day to day basis, and you don't know what I go through. All we know, is what we hear and I can tell you that it's 99% bullshit.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone builds a bubble whereby they feel the most comfortable. It's human nature to socialize and congregate with people how are like minded and share the same interests. Look at us all here at Steeler Nation bound by the love, or at some point have loved, the Steelers. You and I could sit on the back of my pickup truck, I'll throw you a beer and we can eat some BBQ as we tailgate a game in the parking lot of Heinz Field. You wouldn't care if I was white, and I wouldn't care that you were black. Just two guys enjoying life in that moment. The issues start when people tell guys like you and I that there is something wrong with the other. Bermuda is one of those lefties, likes to loot, burn and pillage communities, supports defunding the police, and feels that you have some magical privilege and have been given everything in your life. Meanwhile, you hear that Badcat is one of those Racist Nazi's whose mindset has suppressed your people for decades, ignores police brutality and injustices because it doesn't affect him and his family. All of a sudden, I'm not in your bubble and you're not in mine. We're divided by delusional thinking and propaganda meant to cast a shadow on us both. The issue is that people don't get to sit on a tailgate drinking beer and have these types of conversations with one another. I don't know what you go through on a day to day basis, and you don't know what I go through. All we know, is what we hear and I can tell you that it's 99% bullshit.
And yet we are fed this 24/7. We aren't one another's enemy, so just who is pulling the strings?

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
And yet we are fed this 24/7. We aren't one another's enemy, so just who is pulling the strings?
It doesn't matter, really. If we would come to grips with the fact that the News agencies are nothing but biased lies and turn them off. If we would stop purchasing political news papers and magazines. If we would get off of social media and go outside, invite some friends over, fire up the grill and drop the tailgate...we could heal enough to start to fight back. Can you imagine BLM and MAGA supporters marching on DC together? You want to talk about an "OH ****" moment on Capital Hill? Can you imagine the heads that would explode in the news rooms and board rooms? We need to tune out the propaganda and start loving one another as human beings once again.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't matter, really. If we would come to grips with the fact that the News agencies are nothing but biased lies and turn them off. If we would stop purchasing political news papers and magazines. If we would get off of social media and go outside, invite some friends over, fire up the grill and drop the tailgate...we could heal enough to start to fight back. Can you imagine BLM and MAGA supporters marching on DC together? You want to talk about an "OH ****" moment on Capital Hill? Can you imagine the heads that would explode in the news rooms and board rooms? We need to tune out the propaganda and start loving one another as human beings once again.
I said something similar to this in a previous thread. Our neighbors aren't our enemy. The people filling everyone's heads with **** are the enemy.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
soon it will be hard to jam more **** in, because its kinda full already.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English