• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Coaching Changes

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Some big name coaches switching teams.

Lincoln Riley, knowing his ***** flag football style won't work in the SEC, abandons Oklahoma for USC
The rumored details of his contract are nuts. Approx $110 Million is salary, plus they bought both his Oklahoma house over asking price, plus buying him a house in LA and use of a private jet for him and his family. All for a guy who hasn't won ****. James Franklin deal looks like a bargain.

Shocker - Notre Dame's Brian Kelly to LSU
I guess he got tired of ND not allowing him to recruit dummies. Won't be a problem in the SEC.
Notre Dame will need a coach who can coach up guys. They should go after Iowa's Kirk Ferentz.

Rumor of Clemson DC Brett Venables going to Oklahoma
This could be bad for Clemson. He's the foundation of that team. Despite Clemson's offense getting all the attention with guys like Happy ending Watson and Ronnie Sunshine Lawrence, it's their complex defense that won them championships.

Could be a risk for Oklahoma too. Venables may be a great X and O coach and it makes sense to go with a defensive coach to play in the SEC, Venables hasn't run a program.

Omar10213245

πŸ‘€πŸ‘‚πŸŽƒπŸˆπŸ‡πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ‹πŸͺ‚πŸŒžπŸŒ›πŸŒœβ˜‚β˜”β„πŸŒŠπŸ₯΄πŸ€¬πŸ₯Ί
Contributor
Reaction score
Pffffft! Kirk Ferentz??? You never fail to blow my mind with some of the ridiculous stuff you post. Ferentz is a lifer for Iowa, his next stop will be retirement here in a few years

Kirk Ferentz, he says :lol:

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Pffffft! Kirk Ferentz??? You never fail to blow my mind with some of the ridiculous stuff you post. Ferentz is a lifer for Iowa, his next stop will be retirement here in a few years

Kirk Ferentz, he says :lol:

and 2 weeks ago would you have seen Lincoln Riley at USC or Kelly at LSU?

Ferentz probably would turn it down but he's absolutely the perfect candidate. At ND you must accept the fact that their academic standards means you can have good recruiting classes but rarely great ones. That means you need a guy who can coach up smart 3 stars into NFL prospects as the core of the team. That is Ferentz.

Iowa recruiting is **** and Ferentz still puts winners out there year after year. Maybe he wants to have a shot at winning it all before he retires. At ND it would be like recruiting at Iowa only now he'd be able to attract a few more 4 and 5 stars each year to be the difference makers that he could never land at Iowa.

Kelly is a really good coach and he tapped out. That says something. Urban Meyer turned down ND years ago because of the recruiting limitations. Would Urban be interested now if he hates the NFL? Will ND decide to lower the standards a bit? They did for Lou Holtz to get QB Tony Rice and some others.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard Pry rumored for the Louisiana (not LSU) job and doubted he’d take that. Va Tech is a good job though and PSU heavily recruits the DMV area so it’s a good fit for him.

Could Penn State call up Tom Bradley?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Riley is a home run hire for USC. The guy wins football games. In five seasons he compiled a 55-10 record, 4 Big 12 Championships, 3 playoff appearances, 2 Heisman winners (and first overall picks), along with another highly drafted QB in Jalen Hurts. He hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs, but just about any program would take those numbers. Now he gets to be in a fertile recruiting ground in a conference lacking a big dog. USC is prepared to support him and they could be back on the map in a couple of years.

Kelly to LSU stunned me. I just didn't see the connection, but I get why he left. Probably will get a huge raise and now has a chance to win a national title. On top of Notre Dame not getting the same depth as SEC schools can get with recruiting, he will actually be in a conference. Notre Dame is going to miss the playoffs this year because they aren't in a conference. LSU isn't patient with coaches, dumping two National Championship winning guys, but Kelly is near retirement and probably doesn't care if he's fired after 4-5 years.

Meanwhile, Florida is sitting with Billy Napier. I wonder if they regret not swinging for the fences for if they feel confident hiring an up and comer.

It'll be interesting to see who Oklahoma gets. Venables seems like a guy who should've been hired a long time ago as a head coach, but maybe he's a better fit as an assistant. If Oklahoma does hire him, they better bring in a terrific OC.

Notre Dame should have a number of options. They could give Freeman his big chance. It feels like he may need time as a HC at a smaller program first to build experience. Fickell would be a great hire. I've also seen Campbell's name thrown around, but don't like the fit there.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard Pry rumored for the Louisiana (not LSU) job and doubted he’d take that. Va Tech is a good job though and PSU heavily recruits the DMV area so it’s a good fit for him.

Could Penn State call up Tom Bradley?
If Pry leaves, they better have Bradley on speed dial.

Omar10213245

Contributor
Reaction score
and 2 weeks ago would you have seen Lincoln Riley at USC or Kelly at LSU?

Ferentz probably would turn it down but he's absolutely the perfect candidate. At ND you must accept the fact that their academic standards means you can have good recruiting classes but rarely great ones. That means you need a guy who can coach up smart 3 stars into NFL prospects as the core of the team. That is Ferentz.

Iowa recruiting is **** and Ferentz still puts winners out there year after year. Maybe he wants to have a shot at winning it all before he retires. At ND it would be like recruiting at Iowa only now he'd be able to attract a few more 4 and 5 stars each year to be the difference makers that he could never land at Iowa.

Kelly is a really good coach and he tapped out. That says something. Urban Meyer turned down ND years ago because of the recruiting limitations. Would Urban be interested now if he hates the NFL? Will ND decide to lower the standards a bit? They did for Lou Holtz to get QB Tony Rice and some others.
This response just tells me how disconnected you are, from the realities of the college football world. Either that, or you're just throwing **** up against a wall so you can read your own nonsense.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
This response just tells me how disconnected you are, from the realities of the college football world. Either that, or you're just throwing **** up against a wall so you can read your own nonsense.
What part is so offensive? Is it the part where I said Ferentz is a great coach who would be a perfect fit, or the part where I said he’d probably turn it down?

Omar10213245

Contributor
Reaction score
What part is so offensive? Is it the part where I said Ferentz is a great coach who would be a perfect fit, or the part where I said he’d probably turn it down?
The fact that you even brought him up to begin with. That part

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
It is very important that these teams hire coaches almost immediately. National Signing day is still technically in February but a few years ago, they started an early signing period that is around Dec 15 i believe. So now almost all of the big recruits will be signed in the next few weeks. Only a few stragglers are left for Feb.

If you do not have a coach for the early signing period, you could lose almost a whole recruiting class. At least the top prospects in the class would be likely to bolt. That's why LSU and USC fired their coaches so early, so they could do their homework. I'd bet they were working on contracts with Riley and Kelly for weeks.

ND promotes Freeman and maybe he's not the coach of the future but you had to have somebody to keep the class together. He can likely keep the ship afloat for a year at least and evaluate how he does. They will likely start doing homework for a possible big hire next year if Freeman does not seem up to the task.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
Wish PSU had promoted Pry and told JF to just fuckoff