• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 13 Rivalry Week

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Franklins signing was for his ability to recruit. I guess they’re hoping the players start winning games and overcome their own coach.

College football is about 90% recruiting. That's why Saban didn't win much at Mich State but became a genius once he got the bagman recruiting assistance in the SEC. How else could guys like Gene Chizik, Les Miles and Ed Ogeron win championships?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
another game given away by PSU. The weather definitely favored MSU and their power style. But the main reason for this loss was Penn State's offensive play calling. Mich State is the worst pass defense in all of football. PSU was carving them up in the first half. Then in the second half on a sloppy field they somehow want to establish the run?

By my count Clifford only had 9 pass attempts in the 2nd half prior to their last drive. That is inexcusable. And i don't give a **** if you say that MSU was showing them looks that meant you should run. Of course they were you ******* dummy. That's a trap because they want you to do anything other than pass on them.

Clifford should have thrown 50 passes and Dortson should have had about 20 catches because they couldn't cover him.
Yeah, but thank God we have your hero Franklin to help put together great game plans like this for the next ten years.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, but thank God we have your hero Franklin to help put together great game plans like this for the next ten years.
he's not my hero, but i'm also not one of those people who just blame the coach for everything. It's so easy to just blame the coach as if you just dial up the great coach who is unemployed and looking for work.

Think of places like Texas and Florida State. Their alumni pretty much forced out Mack Brown and Jimbo Fisher. Sure they were good coaches but what have you done for me lately? We won't accept mediocrity anymore. Now both programs suck.

It's funny, i hear this stat all the time about record vs top 10 teams or whatever it is and i wonder, how many coaches actually have great winning records vs teams that are higher ranked? I'd bet not many. Is it Saban? Maybe but he's almost always the higher rated and more talented team.

You either have to slowly build a program by stacking multiple top 10 classes or you occasionally get lucky by having a few great talents that overcome weaknesses. The talent level at PSU has absolutely been going up each of the last few years. That's a big deal.

Another reason i'm optimistic with Franklin is because he has shown that he is open to change. He's open to admitting he was wrong. He did that when he fired OC Kirk Cirocca after 1 season. He has also done that by admitting he was wrong not to put more work into the transfer portal and he will do so moving forward.

It may come time to part ways with Franklin but it's not today.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
he's not my hero, but i'm also not one of those people who just blame the coach for everything. It's so easy to just blame the coach as if you just dial up the great coach who is unemployed and looking for work.

Think of places like Texas and Florida State. Their alumni pretty much forced out Mack Brown and Jimbo Fisher. Sure they were good coaches but what have you done for me lately? We won't accept mediocrity anymore. Now both programs suck.
And what has Penn State done for us lately? Besides going 11-10 in the last two seasons? And becoming a regular also-ran in the Big Ten?

It's funny, i hear this stat all the time about record vs top 10 teams or whatever it is and i wonder, how many coaches actually have great winning records vs teams that are higher ranked? I'd bet not many. Is it Saban? Maybe but he's almost always the higher rated and more talented team.
Franklin's record against good opponents speaks for itself -- and proves that you are completely overrating the state of the program under him. They're just not competitive.

You either have to slowly build a program by stacking multiple top 10 classes or you occasionally get lucky by having a few great talents that overcome weaknesses. The talent level at PSU has absolutely been going up each of the last few years. That's a big deal.
The talent level absolutely has been going up? If you say so. I'd say that Penn State had more talent from 2016-19, myself. When they won 42 games.

By the looks of the offensive line (which you've already admitted is horrendous), the talent is not being stacked, it's nowhere to be seen. We'd better hope and pray that Franklin can retain this supposed 5-star QB recruit, and start finding some lineman who can protect the guy.