• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 14 - Championship Week

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Only a few games left to figure out the playoffs. Putting this on a bit early for the Friday game.

Friday
10 Oregon vs 17 Utah 8:00 ABC Utah -2.5 O/U 58
Pac 12 Champhiosnip - Raiders Stadium in Vegas
There seems no way the winner can make the playoffs. Utah pretty much guaranteed the Pac gets skipped when they blew out Oregon a few weeks ago. This game is for the Rose Bowl where the winner will likely play Ohio State unless Michigan loses to Iowa.

Saturday

9 Baylor vs 5 Oklahoma State 12:00 ABC - Ok St -5.5 O/U 56.5
Big 12 Championship Cowboy Stadium Arlington
with only 1 loss, OK State has a shot at the playoffs with a win. Actually they shopuld be a lock with a win and an Alabama loss but who knows with the committee.

1 Georgia vs 3 Alabama 4:00 CBS - UGA -6.5 O/U 49.5
SEC Championship Atlanta
Georgia is virtually guaranteed a playoff spot. The only way they won't make the playoff is if they get blown out by like 30 and even then ESPN would probably put them in over Cincy. The game may be meaningless to UGA but they would be dumb not to take the opportunity to knock Bama out of the playoff right here and guarantee the 1 seed. If Bama wins they will get in and they'll probably rig it to make sure Bama and GA don't meet in the first round.

UGA has looke unbeatable but they really haven't play that tough a schedule at least not against good offensive teams. But Bama's offense has not looked great. Auburn has a talented defense and they confused Bryce Young. UGA can do the same. Unless UGA phones this one in knowing they can lose, i don't think Bama can win this one.

21 Houston vs 4 Cincinnati 4:00 ABC Cin -10.5 O/U 52.5
American Athletic COnference Championship - Nippert Stadium Cincinnati
I don't follow the AAC enough to know if their Champ game is always played in Cincy or if it is just played at the home field of the top ranked team. In any case, it's a home game for Cincy and that could be significant for a Texas team playing in Ohio in December.

Lot's of pressure on Cincy. Not only do they have to win, but they may have to win with style points to avoid getting jumped by OK State who could add a top 10 win to their resume.

Is Fickel getting job offers? Maybe his head's not in this game

2 Michigan vs 13 Iowa 8:00 FOX Mich -11 O/U 43.5
Big Ten Championship Indianapolis
Michigan finally got over the hump vs OSU by being more physical and just pushing them around. Iowa should be able to match the physicality at least. This has the potential to be a snooze of a game as you can see by the over under of just 43.

Michigan is in the playiof with a win. If they lose, then the Big 10 is probably not getting a team in the playoff. I doubt they'd take 2 loss Ohio state and i can't see them taking Iowa. Iowa would get a trip to the Rose Bowl and OSU and Mich would be relegated to lesser bowls.

You want the playoffs to expand. Root for the Big 10 to get left out while teams like Cincy and Ok State get in the playoff.

15 Pitt vs 16 Wake Forest 8:00 ABC Pitt -3 O/U 71
ACC Championship Charlotte NC
certainly not the game the ACC had in mind. With Clemson having such a horrible year, you have 2 teams looking to add a championship to the trophy case before Clemson gets turned around. Feels like the years when Michael Jordan "retired" and things were up for grabs. This could be an entertaining game though if the Mich Iowa game is 6-3 in the second half.

Let's look at some scenarios

It's all about the playoffs, so here's the playoff rankings
1 Georgia - in unless blown out
2 Michigan - in with a win, out with a loss
3 Alabama - in with win only
4 Cincinnati - should be in with win but could get jumped by OK St
5 Oklahoma State - could jump Cincy with an impressive win vs 9 Baylor
6 Notre Dame - idle - needs both Cincy and Ok St losses
7 Ohio State - idle - needs Michigan, Bama, Cincy and Ok State losses. Unlikely but possible
8 Ole Miss - idle - i can't see a path
9 Baylor - win big vs Ok State plus Bama loss and they have a shot, especially if Cincy loses
10 Oregon - no shot

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
Georgia's defense may be the best defense I've ever seen on a college football field. I'm going to love watching this SEC Championship game. Keep an eye on Jordan Davis #99, he's the Nose Tackle. Reminds me of Casey Hampton not just for his size, but his hand speed and punch is just insane.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the Friday game was Western Kentucky & Texas San Antonio.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
The AAC Championship is played at the home field of the team with the best record or since both are undefeated in conference play, it is the higher ranked team

Having this in cincy is a big bonus for them. Houston is undefeated on the road this year though. THe weather look nice enough with temps in the 40-50 range, not unbearable for these Texas boys

As long as UH QB Clayton Tune plays with confidence and takes care of the ball this should be a good game. with UH pulling out the victory and crushing cincy's playoff aspirations.

Last edited:

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
my parlay picks
Utah
OK st
Cincy
Michigan(y)
Georgia in a close low scoring win over Bama
Pitt over Wake forest
Western Kuntucky over UTSA
Kent St over NIU

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody deserves the heisman this year. If ever there was a year to give it to an OL it would be this year. Orlando Pace and Tony Mandarich got votes back in the day. If I was the AD of a team that had a great OL, I would have started pimping one of them about mid season. It’s too late now.

After Bryce Young’s bad game vs Auburn, he should be out although SEC voters tend to vote SEC guys no matter what. Walker may be out after he got hurt and had just 6 carries vs Ohio State. Right now it feels like CJ Stroud by default and he wasn’t great vs the only good defenses he played, Oregon, Penn State and Michigan.

If the choice has to be made, I would still go PJ Walker. At least it feels like he had a great season individually and isn’t just a QB in a good situation On a good team.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Nobody deserves the heisman this year. If ever there was a year to give it to an OL it would be this year. Orlando Pace and Tony Mandarich got votes back in the day. If I was the AD of a team that had a great OL, I would have started pimping one of them about mid season. It’s too late now.

After Bryce Young’s bad game vs Auburn, he should be out although SEC voters tend to vote SEC guys no matter what. Walker may be out after he got hurt and had just 6 carries vs Ohio State. Right now it feels like CJ Stroud by default and he wasn’t great vs the only good defenses he played, Oregon, Penn State and Michigan.

If the choice has to be made, I would still go PJ Walker. At least it feels like he had a great season individually and isn’t just a QB in a good situation On a good team.
Marcus Jones for Heisman

2 KR and 2 PR for TDs
5 Int (tied for most)
12 passes defended
1 receiving TD

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Cincy and Alabama both lose

1. Georgia
2. Michigan
3. Oklahoma St
4. Notre Dame

ND likely needs Bama and Cincy losses and I also think OK State to get in for sure. If Bama loses close to Georgia, I think ESPN will put them in ahead of ND. The committe may hold Kelly’s departure against them and it actually is a good point. If a team lost their QB in the last game and he would not be avail for the playoff, it would be held against that team.

It would be kind of hilarious though if Kelly left because he didn’t think he can win it at ND, then ND somehow wins it without him this year and Kelly is fired at LSU in 3 years. Would be reminiscent of when Michigan’s Bball coach Bill Frieder had agreed to a deal to take over Arizona State before the tournament. Then AD Bo Schembeckler fired Frieder rather than let him coach in the tourney and Michigan ended up winning the National Championship with replacement coach Steve Fisher.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Wait, where's the headlining write-up on Penn State?

Oh yeah, it's Championship Week...never mind.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have seen several PITT and Wake Forest games. It should be a fun game to watch. QB play has been exceptional.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Georgia's defense may be the best defense I've ever seen on a college football field. I'm going to love watching this SEC Championship game. Keep an eye on Jordan Davis #99, he's the Nose Tackle. Reminds me of Casey Hampton not just for his size, but his hand speed and punch is just insane.
I'm going to have to watch or record it then. We absolutely need someone like that but I doubt we would ever draft a true NT.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It would be kind of hilarious though if Kelly left because he didn’t think he can win it at ND, then ND somehow wins it without him this year and Kelly is fired at LSU in 3 years. Would be reminiscent of when Michigan’s Bball coach Bill Frieder had agreed to a deal to take over Arizona State before the tournament. Then AD Bo Schembeckler fired Frieder rather than let him coach in the tourney and Michigan ended up winning the National Championship with replacement coach Steve Fisher.
I like Notre Dame, but I was looking forward to seeing some fresh teams in the playoffs. Not anymore. I would absolutely LOVE to see Notre Dame win the title right after Kelly left.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Last years #1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers of Ohio state has entered the transfer portal. A move that seem inevitable since about week 4 when it was clear Stroud was not losing the job. What’s amazing is that Ewers has already made over a million in NIL money, likely from OSU boosters. Now he’s rumored to be looking at Texas schools and will probably make another million without ever starting a game.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
All these big time guys want to start and not develop. At some point you’d think maybe they will stop going to blue blood schools where there are 3 other five-star guys at their position.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
So apparently, Utah is Oregon's kryptonite

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
All these big time guys want to start and not develop. At some point you’d think maybe they will stop going to blue blood schools where there are 3 other five-star guys at their position.

you would think so but these kids all think they will start and lots of these coaches let them think they will just to get them signed up. QB transfers will probably be the norm. People criticized PSU for not having a good backup when Clifford got hurt. They did have a good backup and he started for Kentucky this year.

what will probably happen is you recruit a top guy then some 3 stars and hope to coach them up to be a decent backup. Georgia had that with Daniels the starter and then Stetson Bennet off the bench.

a lot of kids could also look at the Ewers situation and see that as the plan. Pick a big time school and get paid by boosters for Name Image Likeness rights. Then enter transfer portal and make money from another set of boosters. Kids may start picking schools assuming they will transfer.

This could also benefit small schools. It used to be that you rather ride the bench at a big school for a few years then get your shot to play. But now with everybody able to transfer, why not just go and start at a small school, make a name, then have schools essentially bid on you in the transfer portal and choose your best situation.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Rumor is Oregon OC Joe Moorehead will be head coach at Akron.

These beatdowns to Utah could be good for Oregon ultimately. They know now that they have a fundamental flaw and what needs fixing to compete with a physical team.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Last years #1 QB recruit Quinn Ewers of Ohio state has entered the transfer portal. A move that seem inevitable since about week 4 when it was clear Stroud was not losing the job. What’s amazing is that Ewers has already made over a million in NIL money, likely from OSU boosters. Now he’s rumored to be looking at Texas schools and will probably make another million without ever starting a game.
Houston is in Texas.