• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 3

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week seemed like a light week but there turned out to be some good games. Oregon came up huge in dominating Ohio State at their house. Stanford beat USC so bad they fired their coach. But the biggest loss had to be Texas getting beat down by Arkansas

fayetteville.tu.png

On to Week 3

Game of the Week

22 Auburn at 10 Penn State 7:30 ABC

Gameday will be in Happy Valley for the Whiteout game. The tams are very similar. Strong defense and questionable QBs. The game may come down to which QB screws up less. Auburn is an unknown as they have played nobody. Akron is ranked 129 in RPI and Alabam St is a FCS team. Auburn did score 60 each game but how much is that worth? Penn State had a very tough game against Wisconsin in Madison. Is it better to have been challenged by a good opponent or to have been able to keep your offense secret by not showing anything vs 2 cupcakes?

Both teams enter with the same gameplan. Stop the run and make the QB beat them. Bo Nix has been awful on the road and Penn State has a really good secondary. Auburn has a great RB Tank Bigsby. If Penn State can slow him down, Nix will likely struggle because that's his pattern. Same can be said of Clifford but Penn State seems to have better playmakers at WR and TE than Auburn.

Auburn has a new coach and this will be his first big game. Did they hold back so far? Probably. But i bet they wish they had at least 1 decent tune up game because the difference between Penn State's defense and what they've faced so far could take Auburn time to adjust.

I believe Penn State has also held back some on offense. Namely, i think the TEs could be a surprise. PSU only had the ball for like 17 minutes vs Wisconsin so they didn't show much and they did little with scheme vs Ball State.

I think the whiteout atmosphere and PSU being more battle tested will be the difference and Auburn could be slow out of the gate.

Nebraska at 3 Oklahoma 12:00 FOX
Nice to see a rivalry game again but this is likely a blowout as OK is favored by 22.5. I don't think Nebraska fans are expecting a win but if they get blown out by 30+ could they fire Scott Frost?

Michigan State at 24 Miami 12:00 ABC

Why is Miami ranked? They got blown out by Alabama and followed that up with a last second win vs App State. This game shows why preseason ranking should be abolished. Mich state has looked good this year. I can't figure why Miami is favored by 6.5. Maybe they assume Mich State will not be able to deal with the florida heat\

Purdue at 12 Notre Dame 2:30 NBC

if a game streams exclusively on Peacock network, does it make a sound? ND probably hopes few saw their near loss to Toledo last week. ND is 2-0 but 2 very narrow wins vs Florida State and Toledo. ND lost a lot of talent in the draft and has struggled. Purdue is off to a 2-0 start themselves with a decent win vs Oregon State. ND is built on defense and strong OL. That can take time to gel with new starters. It hasn't happened yet.

1 Alabama at 11 Florida 3:30 CBS
Neither team has been tested yet. Bama played Miami but Miami was awful yet remains ranked somehow. Could be Bryce Young's first real test and maybe he makes a few mistakes. Florida has been playing 2 QBs, Emory Jones and the Tebow -like Anthony Richardson AR-15. Will this be the game they unleash AR-15? The main question fans will asking is, when will this game get over already so we can watch Penn State?

19 Arizona State at 23 BYU 10:15 ESPN
BYU is coming off a big win against rival Utah who had owned them recently.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
After a decent slate of games the first couple of weeks, this week is lackluster. That Alabama-Florida game has potential to be exciting, but not if Bama is as strong as they look. Normal years, Auburn-Penn State would be pretty exciting, but neither team seems all too special so far this year and the overall weakness at the top has Penn State in the top 10 (just have a hard time buying a team lead by Sean Clifford being that good). Maybe one of those teams proves me wrong today.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
This is Clifford's 3rd OC in 3 years so he's been in a tough spot. The new OC's system is considered very QB friendly with easy reads. It seems both PSU and Auburn fans are both thinking the same about their QB. Just don't screw it up.

Clifford missed KJ Hamler a lot last year. Those 2 played High School together at IMG Academy so they had a strong bond on and off the field. Clifford has had his moments, just needs some confidence to stay consistent. His biggest problem is he throws off his back foot way too often. That's a lack of confidence.

Penn State does have some big recruits coming next year. 5 star Commit Drew Allar threw for 500 yards and 5 TD last week. Ohio State has offered him recently but he has said he's firm to PSU to play for OC Mike Yurcich. This year though it's Clifford or nothing as last year's backup Will Levis transferred to Kentucky where he's starting.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
It would be nice if Oklahoma Nebraska is a good game but with OK up 7 already that doesn't look likely.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
RG3 is calling the Wake v. Florida State game for ESPN. He is actually pretty good.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's go Gators. D up!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Going for Bama over those swamp *** creatures down in gainsville.

roll tide!

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Alabama/Florida is on pace to be 84-12. That makes for some compelling television.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Time for Pitt to end the Narduzzi experiment. Flush the whole coaching staff and start over again.
Narduzzi is like a broke *** paterno…,

what Pitt needs to do is find a Wanny clone and quit trying to be anything but a program that puts guys in the Pros… just go full out developmental. They have a track record of doing that, just embrace it… the winning will come once the talent is here… firing DW was a massive misstep… the path to greatness isn’t just trying to do what every other school does and hoping for better results…

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I psych'd myself out on Michigan State. As you can see from my write up above, it makes no sense why Miami is ranked and favored. I was absolutely certain Mich State would win. It felt like easy money. Too easy so i just went light on the game, winning with points and straight on the moneyline. I should have went huge on it. I was worried MSU was missing somebody for covid or something and i was unaware, it just seemed too good to be true.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Is Ohio State coach Ryan Day overrated? He inherited a loaded team with a Heisman level QB. He's regarded as a great playcaller but we've seen this before where a great coach leaves a loaded team and the new guy wins immediately then it starts to go downhill a few seasons later.

Could USC go after Ryan Day? May sound crazy but OSU is a very high pressure job. If they lose another game and are not a playoff team this year, his seat will feel a bit warm. I could say the same about Notre Dame's Brian Kelly. USC will likely offer a boatload of money and it could be tempting. USC sits in a great recruiting area and they should still be able to get all the best of the west. They should NEVER be without a top QB

Pittsburgh Charlie

Forefather
Reaction score
Was cool to see a kid from my home town get a few snaps for Michigan today

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
LET'S GOOOOO! Gators!!!