• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 3

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone explain why there is an SEC officiating crew working the Penn State/Auburn game? Shouldn't it be from a neutral conference?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
And Porter Jr. will never be a Steeler, his run support is pathetic.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
That was a horrible call by Auburn.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If Penn State wins people will be less douchy at work plus it allways feels like if too many local teams lose the Steelers follow suit… so nice to see them holding up

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Amazing game. I don't know who agreed to having an SEC crew do the game but they almost stole it. How do you miss a down? And Franklin called them on it at the time and they basically told him to shut up. Phantom grounding call vs Clifford when he wasn't even under pressure. Then Nix is inside the box and launches one into the stand and no call. How is there no review on that 4th down fake? You could clearly hear the whistle did not blow until after the pile moved a yard past the first down. That would have been a ******* robbery if Auburn pulled off a comeback.

This game shows the difference a play caller makes. It's why i have high hopes for Canada and the steeler offense. Clifford looked very confident and in command. Aside from a few calls where the OC got too cute, it was a great gameplan. They kept Auburn guessing all night and spread the ball around.

What you saw was an OC constantly watching the defense, waiting for them to adjust then counter punch them. They hit some quick WR screens early and then that set up the plays to the TEs down the seam.

Penn State had something like 50 recruits visiting at the game. I expect a few commitments soon.

This is what i hope for from the steelers offense. The Steelers have lots of versatile weapons that can be used a lot of ways like PSU did. It also takes pressure off the OL when a defense is on it's heels.

It also showed that attacking vertical doesn't always mean going bombs away. You can get big plays by throwing in the intermediate range and letting your TE/WR run and make a play.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
And Porter Jr. will never be a Steeler, his run support is pathetic.

I disagree. He's not a LB out there but for a cover CB, his run support is pretty good. He made several plays in the run game tonight. He doesn;t shy away from contact like many cover CBs. He's also about 6'2 and i think i heard he has 34 inch arms. I'm not sure they're quite that long but it's clear he does have long arms and that's a big deal. It's why the Steelers drafted Artie Burns.

You saw those long arms on a deep pass where he was going to be beaten on a back shoulder throw and he was able to reach back and bat the ball away. Unless Porter runs a really slow 40, i think he'll be a 1st rounder.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the late targeting and pass interference calls against Auburn were iffy. I wasn't watching when PSU got shafted. I still don't know how you lose a down. That's an embarrassment for the sport. They should figure out some way to make sure that never happens. Otherwise, that was a very entertaining game. I kinda dig the white out.

I also can't believe I'm still up drinking. It's like 4am I think. I haven't done this in 20-30 years probably and there is nothing special going on. I should probably be proud. I might go puke in my neighbor's yard.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Where is everybody? This feels like a Twilight Zone episode.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Amazing game. I don't know who agreed to having an SEC crew do the game but they almost stole it. How do you miss a down? And Franklin called them on it at the time and they basically told him to shut up. Phantom grounding call vs Clifford when he wasn't even under pressure. Then Nix is inside the box and launches one into the stand and no call. How is there no review on that 4th down fake? You could clearly hear the whistle did not blow until after the pile moved a yard past the first down. That would have been a ******* robbery if Auburn pulled off a comeback.

This game shows the difference a play caller makes. It's why i have high hopes for Canada and the steeler offense. Clifford looked very confident and in command. Aside from a few calls where the OC got too cute, it was a great gameplan. They kept Auburn guessing all night and spread the ball around.

What you saw was an OC constantly watching the defense, waiting for them to adjust then counter punch them. They hit some quick WR screens early and then that set up the plays to the TEs down the seam.

Penn State had something like 50 recruits visiting at the game. I expect a few commitments soon.

This is what i hope for from the steelers offense. The Steelers have lots of versatile weapons that can be used a lot of ways like PSU did. It also takes pressure off the OL when a defense is on it's heels.

It also showed that attacking vertical doesn't always mean going bombs away. You can get big plays by throwing in the intermediate range and letting your TE/WR run and make a play.
I was wondering about the SEC crew as well. They did their level best to try to get a victory for Auburn. Replay should be able to challenge a down marker in any case. I was surprised the Penn State defense didn't do better. Two long Auburn drives with a mix of runs and passes that were on target and they were in a position to at least tie it at the end.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

That was the absolute worst officiated game I’ve seen in nearly 20 years. Dick Honig couldn’t have done worse. But that being said the team overcame an Auburn squad that will probably end up top 15 and 4 of the most egregious calls you’ll ever see. That’s something you can build and motivate a team on. Clifford looks good this year. He knows where to put the ball and has been very accurate. Even his int wasn’t that bad it was a “give my guy a chance” kind of play. Noah Cain is looking better each week. If we can get him back to 2019 form they’ll have something there. The defense is just stacked. Might be the best secondary I’ve ever seen at happy valley. Ebikete and luketa are stud rushers. But of course the year we look good the big ten is stacked. Michigan and Michigan state are awesome and Ohio State is always stacked. Could be a good thing if they can beat em because they should get into the playoffs then.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Coach Saban nearly lost the game because of POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT going into halftime. He had TWO TO's and nearly a minute on the clock - GO SCORE SOME POINTS!!!

He turtled up and gave Florida a bunch of momentum in the third.

I will say that there were two PI calls that were missed against FL that took some of the steam out of our offense.

I survived w/o punching someone at the bar yesterday...yay me!!!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I would also like to thank the college football gods and the usc trojans for JT Daniels. May the missing piece to the puzzle be him

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach Saban nearly lost the game because of POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT going into halftime. He had TWO TO's and nearly a minute on the clock - GO SCORE SOME POINTS!!!

He turtled up and gave Florida a bunch of momentum in the third.

I will say that there were two PI calls that were missed against FL that took some of the steam out of our offense.

I survived w/o punching someone at the bar yesterday...yay me!!!
It’s been awhile since you damn roll tide fans had a nail biter huh? Welcome back to how the rest of us fbs fans feel. Unless it’s cupcake day

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Another great win by Penn State. Still a long season to go, though.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Penn State up to 6 in the latest AP poll.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Iowa is 5. Mich State is looking good. Michigan played 3 cupcakes so no idea if they're actually good or just typical Michigan. Big 10 could be tough this year.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Iowa is 5. Mich State is looking good. Michigan played 3 cupcakes so no idea if they're actually good or just typical Michigan. Big 10 could be tough this year.
Yeah, but does anyone really believe that Iowa is the 5th best team in the country? They've beaten Kent State, Iowa State and Indiana. Plus, they play in the weak half of the Big 10. 5th? Give me a break.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Who has Michigan State beat? Northwestern, Youngstown State & Miami, who shouldn't have even been ranked, imo. Michigan hasn't really played anyone either, but Northern Illinois beat Georgia Tech on the road, and GT gave Clemson fits yesterday. Western Michigan beats Pitt on the road yesterday. Michigan doesn't have the strongest resume, but I'm not sure it's any worse than MSU's body of work, and might actually be better. MSU has won two on the road while Michigan has played three games at home.

I'm glad there is college football again. Last year doesn't count, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTC

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
i Don’t think Iowa should be 5 but they should absolutely be top 10 right now. Indiana and Iowa State are quality wins. Point is that Iowa is good. Michigan State is good. Michigan might be good. Ohio State has issues but still has tons of talent But just like Clemson, they are struggling. Teams like Rutgers, Maryland and Illinois are getting better too.

lot of great coaching hires over the least few years in the Big 10. Fleck has turned Minnesota into a decent program. Schiano has Rutgers on the rise. Mel Tucker is doing a great job rebuilding Mich State. Locksley at Maryland has them respectable. Bielema was a great hire for Illinois and could have them respectable soon.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Who has Michigan State beat? Northwestern, Youngstown State & Miami, who shouldn't have even been ranked, imo. Michigan hasn't really played anyone either, but Northern Illinois beat Georgia Tech on the road, and GT gave Clemson fits yesterday. Western Michigan beats Pitt on the road yesterday. Michigan doesn't have the strongest resume, but I'm not sure it's any worse than MSU's body of work, and might actually be better. MSU has won two on the road while Michigan has played three games at home.

I'm glad there is college football again. Last year doesn't count, imo.

Miami isn’t great but they do have a lot of talent and going into their house and winning big is a quality win. I’m not saying Mich State is great. They were a dumpster fire and Mel Tucker has them rebuilt to being competitive. They have 41 new players on the roster from recruiting and transfers. It’s like a new team.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
Miami isn’t great but they do have a lot of talent and going into their house and winning big is a quality win. I’m not saying Mich State is great. They were a dumpster fire and Mel Tucker has them rebuilt to being competitive. They have 41 new players on the roster from recruiting and transfers. It’s like a new team.
The transfer portal has changed the game, no doubt. I live in Lansing and I'm not a native, so the MSU love and Michigan hate gets a bit nauseating. It's like Ky & Louisville, which is my stomping grounds.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree. He's not a LB out there but for a cover CB, his run support is pretty good. He made several plays in the run game tonight. He doesn;t shy away from contact like many cover CBs. He's also about 6'2 and i think i heard he has 34 inch arms. I'm not sure they're quite that long but it's clear he does have long arms and that's a big deal. It's why the Steelers drafted Artie Burns.

You saw those long arms on a deep pass where he was going to be beaten on a back shoulder throw and he was able to reach back and bat the ball away. Unless Porter runs a really slow 40, i think he'll be a 1st rounder.
He made one good tackle all night, right after I made my comment. Don't know what you're seeing. I don't care how long his arms are, he's not physical enough to take on NFL running backs. Artie Burns was a reach; I would assume that the Steelers have learned their lesson.