• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football Week 4

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Last week had some great games. Namely Penn State's white out win over Auburn and the close game with Alabama and Florida, both coming down to the wire. This week is pretty slim pickings with only 2 games with both teams ranked. Still there are always some games that could surprise.

Villanova at 6 Penn State - Noon Big Ten Network
PSU gets a bit of a rest after the emotional Auburn game. Could be a bit sluggish to start as a letdown but Villanova has nobody to compete. PSU will likely be resting a bunch of players, particularly on defense, once they get a good lead. PSU gets Indiana next week.

12 Notre Dame vs 18 Wisconsin - Noon FOX - Neutral site Soldier Field Chicago - Wisconsin -6.5 O/U 44.5

a battle of 2 underachieving teams. Notre Dame struggled with last second wins vs Florida State and Toledo. And their game with Purdue was 17-13 heading to the 4th. They have not looked good after losing so many guys to the NFL. And they don't get to face a weak SEC schedule like Bama to get time to gel. Wisconsin actually had a Bye last week. They had the home loss to Penn State where the offense was awful. Part of that was the PSU defense and part was their hyped QB Graham Mertz struggling. They did rebound and thump Eastern MIchigan for what that's worth.

ND is starting Wisconsin QB Jack Coan at QB. You know he wants to prove Wisconsin wrong for giving up on him. These are similar teams. Both want to play defense and run the ball to control the game. I was unimpressed with the Wisky WRs and that could be their downfall.

My first instinct is Wisconsin but I don't understand why they are favored by 6.5. Sure ND has struggled but is Wisky beating up on East Mich supposed to make me think they have it all figured out? ND has 3 games under their belt, buy Wisc had 2 weeks to prepare and they needed it because Jack Coan knows all Wisky's signals. I'm sure they will throw some wrinkles at him

I'm liking the Under in this one. Neither team has many playmakers and both teams are content to run the ball and play field position.

7 Texas A&M vs 16 Arkansas - 3:30 CBS - Neutral site Cowboys Stadium - Texas A&M -4.5
Arkansas had the statement win over Texas. TAM has struggled some breaking in a new QB but their defense has been good. Arkansas has some injuries on the OL and they rely on the run game. If they have to throw a bunch, it could get ugly for them.

Rutgers at 19 Michigan 3:30 ABC Mich -20.5 O/U 50
battle of unbeatens. Neither teams has really played anybody. Michigan did beat Washington but Wash lost to Montana and has not looked good. Greg Schiano is rebuilding Rutgers. This is a huge game for the rutgers program because Michigan pulls a lot of recruits from NJ.

Tennessee at 11 Florida 7:00 ESPN Florida -19 O/U 64

could be a classic letdown after the close loss to Bama. But Florida does run the ball really well and that usually doesn't take a day off,.

Nebraska at 20 Michigan State 7:00 FS1 MSU -4.5 O/U 52.5
Nebraska was left for dead after losing to Illinois but they played it close with Oklahoma in Norman last week. They know their season and program is on the line every week now and they played like it. MSU is no longer under the radar. Will it go to their heads? Their big win vs Miami was closer than the final score. Nebraska could surprise them if they don't take them seriously.

West Virginia at 4 Oklahoma 7:30 ABC OK -17 O/U 56.5
WVU is coming off a big upset of Virginia Tech and Oklahoma off a scare vs Nebraska. Nebraska was their first real game of the season.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So Pitt decided to actually show up to this game… tgey will now do that thing where tgey have some impressive wins and get people thinking that they might do something then blow another game for no logical reason…

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure how good Wisky QB Mertz is but his WRs suck. They don't get open and don't fight for balls. Like most of America, i was glued to the PSU Villanova game so i don't know what happened in the first 3 quarters but Wisky is dead until their WRs start making plays.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how I thought PSU and the Steelers were a bit similar this year offensively. It showed again today as PSU struggled to run vs Villanova. Struggled may be a bit strong but they didn't blow Villanova off the ball, and that is despite PSU having at least 3 NFL prospects starting on OL. It takes time to learn a blocking system.

The difference is PSU's OC has been far better than Canada in designing pass plays that force a defense to defend every inch horizontal and vertical, so the pass game has been outstanding covering up for a struggling run game.

Also during the broadcast, they mentioned that PSU OC Mike Yurcich said that he reviews every bad play each week and asks if it was his fault. Did he call a play that put his players in a bad position, asking them to do something they can't do?

That right now is the difference between the PSU offense that looks great and the steeler offense that is struggling. Canada seems to be taking more of a sink or swim approach to play calling where PSU is catering to player strengths.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone cares, but Georgia State is leading Auburn by 12 late in the 3rd.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey the Utes won today LOL!!!

I'm watching NC State vs. Clemson - SMH...game should have been won in regulation place kicker misses 3 FGs and misses the final one to win the game w/ 2 seconds left.

Clemson probably pulls this off now...

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
what a win by Auburn. my be a QB change happening there

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
21-0 top of the 2nd. Bama has the ball on the 1/2 yard line!!! Keep stepping on their throats Coach!!!

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread how I thought PSU and the Steelers were a bit similar this year offensively. It showed again today as PSU struggled to run vs Villanova. Struggled may be a bit strong but they didn't blow Villanova off the ball, and that is despite PSU having at least 3 NFL prospects starting on OL. It takes time to learn a blocking system.

The difference is PSU's OC has been far better than Canada in designing pass plays that force a defense to defend every inch horizontal and vertical, so the pass game has been outstanding covering up for a struggling run game.

Also during the broadcast, they mentioned that PSU OC Mike Yurcich said that he reviews every bad play each week and asks if it was his fault. Did he call a play that put his players in a bad position, asking them to do something they can't do?

That right now is the difference between the PSU offense that looks great and the steeler offense that is struggling. Canada seems to be taking more of a sink or swim approach to play calling where PSU is catering to player strengths.
PSU needs to make the Baylor transfer Lovett their feature back. He runs tough and always upfield trying to get yardage...no dancing or spinning like Cain and others. PSU needs to find some running game..
Can't do it all through the air against OSU, Iowa, Mich and MSU.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So Pitt decided to actually show up to this game… tgey will now do that thing where tgey have some impressive wins and get people thinking that they might do something then blow another game for no logical reason…
STEELERS or Panthers ?

(I know what you meant)

Salute the nation