• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Playoffs

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
With all of the professional leagues modifying the rules, particularly the NHL, NBA, and MLB when it comes to the postseason, it was the perfect opportunity for college football to try out an 8- or even 16-team playoff. There was an imbalanced schedule this year and it would've been the most "fair" way to approach things. Then again, we know that college football is simply about rewarding the biggest name programs--sometimes regardless of their performance on the field.

Based the College Football Playoff rankings, these would be the playoff matchups. (*Note: UNC was 13 and Northwestern 14...I flipped them to avoid rematches. I think the committee would've done this as well.)

1. Alabama vs. 16. BYU
-Alabama would blow out most opponents and that would be the case for this one, but we'd get a chance to see one of the top QB prospects against NFL-caliber defenders.

8.Cincinnati vs. 9. Georgia
-A lot of talk about Cincinnati this year following an undefeated season. If you can prove it against a team that lose to both Florida and Alabama then you deserve to be in the conversation.

5. Texas A&M vs. 12. Coastal Carolina
-Coastal Carolina would have the eyes of the nation as they go against an A&M team that would come into this game overconfident. An upset would be tough, but I'd love to see them have the chance.

4. Notre Dame vs. 13. Northwestern
-Northwestern makes all games ugly. This could be closer than it should be.

3. Ohio State vs. 14 North Carolina
-Depending on which UNC team showed up, this could be a very good game. The Tar Heels have a great 1-2 punch at RB and a talented young QB.

6. Oklahoma vs. 11. Indiana
-This would be a premiere if Indiana's QB didn't tear his ACL.

7. Florida vs. 10. Iowa State
-Florida has a ton of talent and Iowa State is an up and comer. They didn't have enough against Oklahoma, but it's an intriguing matchup.

2.Clemson vs. 15. Iowa
-Not much exciting about this game, but a unique matchup if nothing else.

Assuming all of the favorites win, these would be the next round:

1. Alabama vs. 9. Georgia (I'm assuming Georgia would be the favorite)
4. Notre Dame vs. 5 Texas A&M
3. Ohio State vs. 6. Oklahoma
2. Clemson vs. 7. Florida

I believe UNC would probably beat OSU, and then give Alabama a good game. Georgia, Florida, even Oklahoma could win this thing if they were in it. Too bad we'll never know.

What the hell's the difference if two weeks were added to the end of the season at this point? And if your team has COVID issues, you're out. Tough ****. Like you said, it would have been the perfect opportunity to try it out. Instead we get Clemson and Alabama for the umpteenth time.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
you mean 3 loss florida?

Florida is one of the most talented teams in the nation on offense and can compete with anyone as they showed Saturday night. It helps that they have a stud at QB as well. With that said, no way do they put a three-loss team in. With the 16-team model, Florida would have a chance to make some noise.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Bama fans have to think Florida is great or else they might have to consider that Bama's defense isn't that good this year.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a Big 10 guy, and even I don't think they should have a team in the playoffs.

I'm a tOSU fan. Happy to be in. Do I think they "deserve" to be in? I'll just say that I wouldn't have been upset at anyone other than the B1G Commissioner and league offices if they had been left out. Still not happy about the late start to the season. Folks complaining that the Buckeyes will be "fresher" having played less games are missing a point. Those leagues that started earlier had enough games for their teams to "gel". I don't think the Buckeyes have played enough to be at their best. And that falls on the league's decision to start late.
Hoping for a competitive game against Clemson. But, given the state of the team right now, I'm not sure I'll see that.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
1 Bama v 4 ND
2 Clem v 3 OSU

5 TAMU v 13 UNC
6 OKL v 7 Florida
8 Cincy v 9 Georgia
25 Oregon v 10 ISU

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I'm glad you think like me. Florida is that team, IMO...

A I totally agree that from what little ive seen From most of these teams, Florida is one ofvtge best 4 teams in college right now

I also agree that three loss teams shouldn’t get in

However I want to point out the hypocrisy that college football wallows in... when a super talented team they want in has a Clearly subpar record to a second tier school, they will find ways to put them in and say its the eye test... so lets look at OSU... a few years ago they lost to penn state and didnt make the championship game, but were taken for tge playoffs over penn state... this year they have a grand total of six wins... one of which came from a championship game they technically didn’t qualify for... and they are in over teams that played 5 more times vs them

The college football system is a joke... it has been for a hundred years.. its just weird how college basketball has the most pure awesome way to determine a champion and football still cannot figure out how to give anyone a fair shake lol...

And im not saying that Florida deserves to be in over OSU... but honestly if the records for osu and texas a&m were flipped id honestly expect they’d put osu in over A&M...

Last edited: