• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colt Lyerla

DeaconKnowledge

Reaction score
I would not sign/draft 2-3 headcases in a draft. But I would one a year and give them a short leash and Lyerla was on my radar. So was Dowling who got drafted by the Raiders. Last year I was in on Da'Rick Rogers and the year before I was in on Burfict. So far Burfict has turned out and Rogers who only played the last month of 2013 had a 107 yard 2 td game in that stretch. Sometimes a long shot works as long as the core of your team and coaches are quality leaders and can turn a young mans life around. Now if you have Ray Lewis as your leader all you are going to get is a bunch of punks but if you have a Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor and Lawrence Timmons you have a core of solid leaders who do well on and off the field.

Perhaps i'm out of the loop but i've never heard any story about 2 of the 3 guys you mentioned (Troy, Timmons) taking younger players under their wing and helping to mold them. They are lead by example types who let their performance and conduct on the field speak for them. Heyward now I've heard (and seen) being a mentor.

Stoney

Reaction score
BTW, I'm happy to have Blanchflower over this mess.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe The Eagles let this guy go to a conference rival......Fire Chip Kelly

Hallmarky

Reaction score
That's like finding a wrapped candy bar the parking lot of a grocery store. It might be okay. But if it's not, it just might kill you. The Steelers tried to give Wes Saunders a second chance and it didn't work for them. This is by far, worse than Wes Saunders.

steelermania

Reaction score
That's like finding a wrapped candy bar the parking lot of a grocery store. It might be okay. But if it's not, it just might kill you. The Steelers tried to give Wes Saunders a second chance and it didn't work for them. This is by far, worse than Wes Saunders.

We're laughing at the Stains, because Josh Gordon has become a huge distraction for smoking weed, and the OP wants us to bring in a cokefiend. I can see this guy going on a binge the night before a playoff game, ala Stanley Roberts. We got rid of Stonio for less than what this guy's done. Sheesh, smh!

madinsomniac

Reaction score
A few points>..

A. I am told coke is out of your system within a few days, so drug tests are easier to pass until you are on a daily regimen of blow, more or less...
B. Even if the Steelers offered... a UDFA is free to sign where they please.. people forget this... we could have offered every great UDFA a contract and they may simply have taken another offer
C. There are roster limits of how many people you can sign...if we sign all out draft picks, we are at or over the 90 limit now. why would we sign another guy that's a catastrophe waiting to happen and cut another potential to get him in camp?

Hallmarky

Reaction score

We're laughing at the Stains, because Josh Gordon has become a huge distraction for smoking weed, and the OP wants us to bring in a cokefiend. I can see this guy going on a binge the night before a playoff game, ala Stanley Roberts. We got rid of Stonio for less than what this guy's done. Sheesh, smh!

You do realize I agree with you?

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I think the dude must have his life back together. if he was still using the bengals would have drafted him in the 3rd rd.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Glad he there and not HERE!!!!!!

Salute the nation

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I am all for giving guys second chances, especially when they are free, but this guy makes a train wreck look like a walk in a park. He is a F5 hurricane looking for a trailer park.

He is from a broken family, dad out of the picture at age 9. He was not around while Colt grew up. Mom on disability, he kind of did what he wanted. Missed classes through high school. Hard to coach, often was forced to do on the field punishment for violating rules. Goes to Oregon, more of the same. When Sandy Hook happened, tweeted it was fake and no one should feel sympathy, coaches got on him about that. Late for practices and was hard to coach in college, got suspended and instead of doing what he needed to get back on the team, he just quit. He has the nickname around the Oregon campus as "Coke Lyerla". He has had issues with alcohol and had one incident where he allegedly assaulted a guy outside a bar, but the charges were dropped.

After leaving Oregon, he was arrested for cocaine. He was said to be seen snorting it in a car by undercover officers. He started pretrial intervention, but then refused to enter a drug treatment program. He hires a lawyer and loses, then ends up with 10 days in jail, 2 years probation, and has to enter the drug program anyway.

And, I am sure there is more, I quit digging. I would rather sign Aaron Hernandez.

Honey Boo Boo move over....

Reality show waiting to happen.......at the very least an ESPN 30-30 episode..

ZACKB

Reaction score
the Packers, who have one one of the most conservative Front Office's in the NFL, signed him after trying him out for a few days. There was literally no risk in having him come try out. Everyone here said it was a bad idea to suggest that he come in, free of charge, for a tryout. He was, talent wise, the second best TE int he draft...and Heath is getting old, with crappy backup pass catching TE's.

You guys can knock me, but this guy is athletic, can separate, and if he makes the team will catch a crapload of passes from Rogers. On a side note...a guy like Dustin Keller or Finley (assuming the Pack don't resign him) would be nice options. I would certainly love for Blanchflower to make it.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Thats great for him and the Packers obviously they've learned nothing from the Aaron Hernandez situation. Just bacause he has talent doesnt mean he should be brought in. Hopefully they are getting him some help too not just putting a football and money in his hands.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I read that they did an absurd amount of research into him. I'm sure he will be in the drug program and is not doing drugs right now. If he is clean and committed, damn, he will be good.

I

Idioteque

Thats great for him and the Packers obviously they've learned nothing from the Aaron Hernandez situation. Just bacause he has talent doesnt mean he should be brought in. Hopefully they are getting him some help too not just putting a football and money in his hands.

I don't think that means every prospect who's been in trouble should be ignored. Not everyone is a murderer.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
the Packers, who have one one of the most conservative Front Office's in the NFL, signed him after trying him out for a few days. There was literally no risk in having him come try out. Everyone here said it was a bad idea to suggest that he come in, free of charge, for a tryout. He was, talent wise, the second best TE int he draft...and Heath is getting old, with crappy backup pass catching TE's.

You guys can knock me, but this guy is athletic, can separate, and if he makes the team will catch a crapload of passes from Rogers. On a side note...a guy like Dustin Keller or Finley (assuming the Pack don't resign him) would be nice options. I would certainly love for Blanchflower to make it.

He must have done enough to get a contract with the Pack. He's saying the right things and putting in the work. It would suck to let Heaths replacement just walk onto the packers team because of off the field issues but then we go and draft stoner mcstabby Adams with our second round pick a few years ago. You take risk with talent in round 7 or as UDFA not with the second round pick.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...a-eager-to-move-on-b99280419z1-261197361.html

ZACKB

Reaction score
My original point is that sometimes you got to bring guys in for a look see that have talent, especially when there is no financial risk. He was undrafted and originally offered just a tryout. Literally 0 risk. GB is a pretty conservative organization too.

steelermania

Reaction score
Why are people assuming that every free agent wants to be a Steeler. There are plenty of people who think that Pittsburgh sucks ***, and given a choice, would rather be elsewhere. Green Bay is just as legendary a franchise as the Steelers, and they have a better quarterback (not that Ben isn't good, but...). How do we know that several teams didn't talk to him, and that he chose GB?

Wingman

Reaction score
There are a great many questions regarding this particular player. And for what ever reason the team had they did not want to add him to their mix or he signed elsewhere after they talked to him. In some cases there maybe enough out there to not be interested in a guy that has had multiple issues with bad attitude problems. He is not here and was not worth much of a risk to Green Bay either.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Why are people assuming that every free agent wants to be a Steeler. There are plenty of people who think that Pittsburgh sucks ***, and given a choice, would rather be elsewhere. Green Bay is just as legendary a franchise as the Steelers, and they have a better quarterback (not that Ben isn't good, but...). How do we know that several teams didn't talk to him, and that he chose GB?

Because he wasn't offered anything from Green Bay but a tryout. Meaning if Pittsburgh would have said 10k and come to camp he's going to Pittsburgh.