• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colt Lyerla

ZACKB

Reaction score
So we couldn't just have him in for a tryout?...stupid FO.

Ex-Oregon TE Colt Lyerla is participating in Packers rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

Lyerla went undrafted last weekend. The 6-foot-4, 242-pound tight end was once viewed as a potential first-round pick not too long ago, but the last time he played in a game was September 2013. Lyerla was suspended by the team for missing multiple practices. He then quit the squad, started using drugs, and then got arrested for possession of cocaine. At the Combine, Lyerla blazed a 4.61 forty, posted a 39-inch vertical, and 10-foot-8 broad jump. He has natural hands and a large catch radius (32 3/4-inch arms). If Lyerla can get his head on straight, catching passes from Aaron Rodgers wouldn't be a bad gig. The tight end depth chart in Green Bay is wide open.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I think it's worth bringing in a guy for a tryout, considering it's basically free. If he stinks or is a jerk...cut him. I assume he is not doing drugs anymore. If the Pack signs him, we should consider Jermichael Finley then.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I would have signed him to a UDFA contract with no signing bonus and a 4th year exslusive rights deal. Why wouldn't you? You can cut him instantly if he messes up and if he turns out you are paying very little compared to what he is doing.

ZACKB

Reaction score
FordFairlane...Exactly what I'm saying!! This guy is literally a first round talent at TE. If he had a wake up call and has his **** together he will be awesome.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
At some point you just have to take guys off your board / radar screen and say that guy isn't going to be a Steeler. Rare talent is certainly intriguing, but you can't go about collecting knuckleheads just because you can get them much cheaper than you could if that person was not a knucklehead. The Bengals did that sort of "bargain" hunting for years and it just doesn't work...you may get some short-term benefit but it always comes back to bite you in the ***.

You sign a guy like that and he goes on a rampage on the South Side and suddenly you have a huge distraction on your hands...

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
but, why?
he's proven in the past that he's a ****-up.

ZACKB

Reaction score
People change. Drug habit can be dropped...there is rehab. Vontez Burfict......there is a good example. Robert Donwey Jr..the actor is another. It's a free tryout with little or no cost to us. Why would you not take the chance?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe the FO deemed the effort to turn him around would be too costly or detract too much from the team?
we're suddenly not a vet-laden team anymore, y'know? maybe if this was the same team with Hines and Farrior we would have.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Let's just trade back in the draft every year, collect 10 fifth round picks and draft every guy who tests positive at the combine. Great value!

If this guy is so talented, why wasn't he drafted or even made a priority UDFA? I guess it's 32 dumb front offices!

ZACKB

Reaction score
Maybe because we are a young team that the FO didn't think we had enough leadership to deal with any of those issues. The Packers have a similar philosophy and FO, but they brought him in. I see virtually no risk in bringing him in. Oh well, he will probably be awesome, and I can just have my point made.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Maybe because we are a young team that the FO didn't think we had enough leadership to deal with any of those issues.

Maybe we DID offer him a tryout and he thought the Packers presented a better opportunity???? Wow, it's easy to make-up complete nonsense!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe because we are a young team that the FO didn't think we had enough leadership to deal with any of those issues. The Packers have a similar philosophy and FO, but they brought him in. I see virtually no risk in bringing him in. Oh well, he will probably be awesome, and I can just have my point made.

Packers are similar to our FO? I thought their team was owned by stocks/fans..............

Atlsteelers

Reaction score
No thanks. Who cares about bringing him in for a tryout. The question has never been how does on the field but off it. He doesn't even know he has a problem.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Packers are similar to our FO? I thought their team was owned by stocks/fans..............

That doesn't mean they don't have an entire front office filled with football operations people, managers, finance people, etc etc etc

DeaconKnowledge

Reaction score
Colt Lyerla is the definition of Do not Draft. He doesn't love football, he loves what it gets him. Skipping practices, mouthing off to coaches, and a huge coke habit. Great attitude to bring into a young locker room.

Burfict is no comparison. Dude was always about football - his panning out makes sense.

Wingman

Reaction score
Guy has problems with cocain, is a smallish tight end, and will likely not make it due to other issues as well. Things like dedication committment etc. Now he could be the exception that turns everything around but I doubt it.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Watch him make the pro bowl. If he gets his **** together, he will be awesome.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Too many red flags for my liking. Steelers need a strong locker room and there have been enough issues in there recently.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I would not sign/draft 2-3 headcases in a draft. But I would one a year and give them a short leash and Lyerla was on my radar. So was Dowling who got drafted by the Raiders. Last year I was in on Da'Rick Rogers and the year before I was in on Burfict. So far Burfict has turned out and Rogers who only played the last month of 2013 had a 107 yard 2 td game in that stretch. Sometimes a long shot works as long as the core of your team and coaches are quality leaders and can turn a young mans life around. Now if you have Ray Lewis as your leader all you are going to get is a bunch of punks but if you have a Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor and Lawrence Timmons you have a core of solid leaders who do well on and off the field.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I am all for giving guys second chances, especially when they are free, but this guy makes a train wreck look like a walk in a park. He is a F5 hurricane looking for a trailer park.

He is from a broken family, dad out of the picture at age 9. He was not around while Colt grew up. Mom on disability, he kind of did what he wanted. Missed classes through high school. Hard to coach, often was forced to do on the field punishment for violating rules. Goes to Oregon, more of the same. When Sandy Hook happened, tweeted it was fake and no one should feel sympathy, coaches got on him about that. Late for practices and was hard to coach in college, got suspended and instead of doing what he needed to get back on the team, he just quit. He has the nickname around the Oregon campus as "Coke Lyerla". He has had issues with alcohol and had one incident where he allegedly assaulted a guy outside a bar, but the charges were dropped.

After leaving Oregon, he was arrested for cocaine. He was said to be seen snorting it in a car by undercover officers. He started pretrial intervention, but then refused to enter a drug treatment program. He hires a lawyer and loses, then ends up with 10 days in jail, 2 years probation, and has to enter the drug program anyway.

And, I am sure there is more, I quit digging. I would rather sign Aaron Hernandez.