• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Confirmed – Matt Canada WILL Return for 2022

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The disappointing things about Canaduh are he has already shown he doesn't gameplan (pure lunacy) for his opponents, he doesn't adapt his offense to his personnel, his play calling is terrible, and he can't adapt quickly to what's happening in real-time during a game (similar to Tomlin). The only changes that helped us win were because we had a HOF QB back there that led us to victories in spite of Canaduh. We played 18 games and the 1st 3 quarters all went pretty much the same with Canaduh's play calling. This was expected but still disappointing.

Reactions: GMC

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The disappointing things about Canaduh are he has already shown he doesn't gameplan (pure lunacy) for his opponents, he doesn't adapt his offense to his personnel, his play calling is terrible, and he can't adapt quickly to what's happening in real-time during a game (similar to Tomlin). The only changes that helped us win were because we had a HOF QB back there that led us to victories in spite of Canaduh. We played 18 games and the 1st 3 quarters all went pretty much the same with Canaduh's play calling. This was expected but still disappointing.
Maybe next year we can score a touchdown in the first half. I don’t care what limits you have with the personnel, that stat was an embarrassment and a direct reflection on the OCs game preparation.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
The only news that could be worse is that they move up to draft a QB in this draft ala Mark Malone and doom us to another decade or two of mediocrity.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Is this Rooney’s decision or Tomlin’s or both?

If it was Tomlin’s, I would hope his own job security is tied to that decision, I doubt that it is.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe next year we can score a touchdown in the first half. I don’t care what limits you have with the personnel, that stat was an embarrassment and a direct reflection on the OCs game preparation.

That right there is why Canada should be fired. It is a clear indicator that this guy can't evaluate film and put together a gameplan. He just has a system and that's that. No audibles. He believes that every play he calls can work against any defense.

I'm sure that's true against vanilla college defenses but not against complex NFL defenses that have players who can recognize patterns.

Last year lots of people seemed eager to just blame everything on Ben. He was old and couldn't play anymore. Not sure what his age had to do with WRs not getting open because the defense knows everything that's coming.

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
Is this Rooney’s decision or Tomlin’s or both?

If it was Tomlin’s, I would hope his own job security is tied to that decision, I doubt that it is.

Unfortunately for Steeler Nation, Tomlin's job security isn't based on decisions that he makes.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
That right there is why Canada should be fired. It is a clear indicator that this guy can't evaluate film and put together a gameplan. He just has a system and that's that. No audibles. He believes that every play he calls can work against any defense.

I'm sure that's true against vanilla college defenses but not against complex NFL defenses that have players who can recognize patterns.

Last year lots of people seemed eager to just blame everything on Ben. He was old and couldn't play anymore. Not sure what his age had to do with WRs not getting open because the defense knows everything that's coming.
If Tomlin is calling the shots though, how can we judge Canada? Canada seems like the scapegoat with the beans Butler spilled.

It seems like Tomlin runs everything.
If that’s the case, I cannot fault Canada

JP1977

Reaction score

¢$$$$$$$$$

Slovan Sam

Reaction score
If Tomlin is calling the shots though, how can we judge Canada? Canada seems like the scapegoat with the beans Butler spilled.
Yep. And let's not forget that same fearless leader of ours said he liked a lot of what he saw from Canada this season.

Thanks for allowing your politics to screw over the fanbase and run this franchise into the ground, Art.

Reactions: MTC

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Makes me 1 for 4 on my predictions so far.
1. Matt Canada will stay as OC.
2. Teryl Austin will be the new DC.
3. Assistant OL coach Chris Morgan will be promoted to OL coach. (In fairness they were slightly better after he took over when Klemm left.)
4. Barring injury, the starting QB on opening day will be Mason Rudolph.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Makes me 1 for 4 on my predictions so far.
1. Matt Canada will stay as OC.
2. Teryl Austin will be the new DC.
3. Assistant OL coach Chris Morgan will be promoted to OL coach. (In fairness they were slightly better after he took over when Klemm left.)
4. Barring injury, the starting QB on opening day will be Mason Rudolph.
And Tomlin makes all decisions

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
2.1 1st quarter and 6.7 1st half points in 2021; he clearly earned another year.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

It didn't even work that well against college defenses. Canada has the perception of being a bright offensive mind and college OC based on one excellent year at Pitt where he had a ton of NFL talent. Outside of that one season he's been mediocre at best.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
This is an older article but maybe it can help combat some of tge yinzer stereotypes about canada, like he had only one good season or how his stuff doesn’t work in the nfl

Yeah the guy can be tough to work for, but he is legitimately a great offensive mind and has consulted for what 8 nfl teams or so including the Rams and Chiefs who both use a lot of his offense… seems to work fine for them… he had had heavy run teams and heavy pass teams…

I dont know how to spell it out any better

In 07 arians took over, but we didn’t run the full Arians offense until 08 and instead just sprinkled arians plays into whizs stuff in 07.
In 08 arians stuff wasn’t quite I understood by everyone… the offense barely chugged on but was markedly better in 09 and 10 as the team understood better

In 12 Arians was replaced by Todd Haley… it took haley 3 years to get his offense clicking… the first year it was a lot of arians stuff with haleys philosophies and wrinkles tied to it, during the transition, the second was his stuff but the players were feeling it out still, the third it took off

Then we replaced him with Fitchner, who basically ran haleys offense year on, then cut it to ribbons with some dink and dunk atrocity the next couple of years…

We mostly used that this season… with a little of the motion and sweeps tgrown in…

Part of this is tge massive change in philosophies each oc brought… cowher changed ocs often, but his oline blocking schemes and run game pretty much stayed erhardt and shottenheimer blended style his whole career…

None of that has been true with Tomlin.. arians totally revamped our blocking then haley did again and we have seen several quick changes since…

Like ive said before… get a really good oline coach in here and the offense will look better in a hurry

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The Steelers need more than a good OL coach, they need some good offensive linemen.

Back to Canada, just because he was consulted on his scheme doesn’t make him a great coordinator. There are elements of his offense teams like. We heard the same about Brennan Marion and yet he hasn’t had the chance to be a higher level coordinator yet. Guys like Reid and McVay are in a totally different league than Canada.