• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coolie Pimps Cougars

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Marquez Stevenson - really fast wide receiver, good hands, good kick returner also

Payton Turner - solid DL, quick feet, strong, versatile

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You are right Coolie, he is blazing fast. Do you happen to know his height & weight ? Projected draft position ?

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
You are right Coolie, he is blazing fast. Do you happen to know his height & weight ? Projected draft position ?

Salute the nation
WR Marquez Stevenson, Houston
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 182
Wing: 75”
Arm: 31”
Hand: 8 1/2”

most of what I've seen has him going in round 3....

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
For your receiver. I love his feet, he's got another 2 gears above fast. Good wiggle.

Terrible hands. He's a body catcher. Did he drop a bunch of passes this year? In the next level he has to learn how to keep his hands in front of his body to catch the ball, because otherwise he's a faster Hamilton.

I don't go for him until round 5-6 and it is strictly as a returner, until he learns proper hand technique. Still if he gets that down, he could be a great player.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
For your receiver. I love his feet, he's got another 2 gears above fast. Good wiggle.

Terrible hands. He's a body catcher. Did he drop a bunch of passes this year? In the next level he has to learn how to keep his hands in front of his body to catch the ball, because otherwise he's a faster Hamilton.

I don't go for him until round 5-6 and it is strictly as a returner, until he learns proper hand technique. Still if he gets that down, he could be a great player.
that video was from his junior year, he used his hands better last season. He did not really drop a lot of passes. His stats were **** this past season since the coogs only played a few games and he missed some of them with an injury.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw some information on Turner on firstpick.com, looked at some videos (highlight videos, yes, so don't tell the whole tale), but the guy has an initial burst that is something to see. If he can play at 285 lbs., he can become a DE in the 3-4. Does not appear to be cut out to work as an OLB, however.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
that video was from his junior year, he used his hands better last season. He did not really drop a lot of passes. His stats were **** this past season since the coogs only played a few games and he missed some of them with an injury.
Shoot me a link for this year and I'll break it down and contrast it with this tape.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
I saw some information on Turner on firstpick.com, looked at some videos (highlight videos, yes, so don't tell the whole tale), but the guy has an initial burst that is something to see. If he can play at 285 lbs., he can become a DE in the 3-4. Does not appear to be cut out to work as an OLB, however.
he can play standing up but I don't think he is fast enough to succeed full time as an OLB

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
could you compare him to future hall of famer Demarcus Ayers?
while you likely aren't serious Ayers was better at catching with his hands and might have had a quicker first step, but Stevenson is way faster and is a real deep threat.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
WR Marquez Stevenson, Houston
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 182
Wing: 75”
Arm: 31”
Hand: 8 1/2”

most of what I've seen has him going in round 3....
He’d better be blazing fast with those numbers.

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Shoot me a link for this year and I'll break it down and contrast it with this tape.
Here is his game against Navy....9 catches 129 yards and 2 TDs

14:37 1st
6:56 1st
9:12 2nd
7:15 2nd
1:56 2nd
10:37 3rd
0:20 3rd
5:36 4th
5:30 4th

Turner and Stuard have solid games on defense

had to edit the link but the new one doesn't include the first play to Stevenson

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
1st play
12:56 1st
8:39 1st
3:18 1st
11:07 2nd
10:28 2nd
6:57 2nd
2:14 2nd
5:53 3rd
14:23 4th
9:10 4th

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Here is his game against Navy....9 catches 129 yards and 2 TDs

14:37 1st
6:56 1st
9:12 2nd
7:15 2nd
1:56 2nd
10:37 3rd
0:20 3rd
5:36 4th
5:30 4th

Turner and Stuard have solid games on defense

Much better hands on these routes. Lots of short drags and screens. His last one was beautiful staying in bounds. Absolutely hated the deep ball body catch (even though it was a TD). I loved the way he set up the pattern, running a z between 2 defenders, and had great separation.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
1st play
12:56 1st
8:39 1st
3:18 1st
11:07 2nd
10:28 2nd
6:57 2nd
2:14 2nd
5:53 3rd
14:23 4th
9:10 4th

Loved the return and his end around runs. Still getting wide open deep. Just hate the body catches with his elbows way out on deep balls. Also I'm worried about his ball security. Jumping in the Navy game with no chance to get a first down, that ball came loose. Lost a fumble in this game. I do like to see him work back to badly thrown balls. Nearly had a big catch doing that earlier in the game. He's moving up my draft chart!

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Loved the return and his end around runs. Still getting wide open deep. Just hate the body catches with his elbows way out on deep balls. Also I'm worried about his ball security. Jumping in the Navy game with no chance to get a first down, that ball came loose. Lost a fumble in this game. I do like to see him work back to badly thrown balls. Nearly had a big catch doing that earlier in the game. He's moving up my draft chart!
staying with his blockers on that kick return TD was the right move, he could of run past them all. I think he learned his lesson about jumping, I didn't see him do that again the rest of the season. The fumble was terrible, knocked the damn ball out of his own hands. It was his only fumble of the season and might have been the only one at UH...have to check the stats lines to make sure

His hand use is much better on the drag routes across the field, he needs to use them better on the deep routes, but as a junior he caught damn near everything with his body, so he is getting better.

did you watch any of he defense and see Turner or Stuard?

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
since cope is too lazy to give me his thoughts on Turner

Payton Turner, EDGE, Houston – NFL Draft Player Profile​

Houston edge defender Payton Turner doesn’t have the most buzz on the NFL Draft circuit. But with his traits, that might change soon.

By
Ian Cummings
Published
3 hours ago

It can be difficult for lesser-heralded recruits to fight their way into the draft conversation. It takes hard work and steely perseverance, but sometimes, a little versatility doesn’t hurt. Houston edge rusher Payton Turner has the versatility and the athletic upside to complete his ascension in the 2021 NFL Draft. And soon, he may get the recognition to match.

Payton Turner NFL Draft Profile & Senior Bowl Measurements​

• Position: Defensive Lineman
  • School: Houston
  • Current Year: Senior
  • Height: 6’5 3/8″
  • Weight: 270 pounds
  • Wingspan: 84″
  • Arm: 35″
  • Hand: 10 1/4″

Tony Pauline’s Payton Turner Scouting Report​

Positives: Three-year starter with an underrated game. Plays with good lean, effectively uses his hands, and keeps his feet moving. Has excellent length, moves well about the field, and moves fluidly if asked to twist or stunt. Strong, displays the ability to push blockers off the line, and stays with the action.
Negatives: Not a great natural pass rusher and does not show much speed off the edge. Possesses an average closing burst.
Analysis: Turner was consistently productive for Houston and has both size as well as growth potential. He’s a developmental prospect who could eventually grow into a defensive tackle in a four-man line.

Payton Turner Player Profile​

Versatility can be a double-edged sword, and Payton Turner has experienced that firsthand. Coming out of high school, Turner was a 6-foot-5, 217-pound defensive end. His height and length set him apart from most high school prospects. However, with his lacking frame, on top of a knee injury suffered in his senior season, Turner didn’t get a ton of looks from Power Five schools.

Turner was a mere two-star prospect in the 2017 recruiting class on 247 Sports’ board. Luckily, being from Houston, Texas, Turner had proximity to the Houston Cougars program. Turner committed to the Cougars in February of 2017 and enrolled later that year. He didn’t arrive with much fanfare, but he left as one of their most impactful defenders.

Payton Turner’s career as a Houston edge rusher​

Turner managed to bulk up to 240 pounds ahead of his first season with the Cougars, and he was rewarded with playing time. The Houston edge defender played in most of the team’s games, logging 14 total tackles, 2.0 tackles for loss, 1.0 sack, an interception, and a pass deflection.

Featured | Valdovinos’ 3-round 2021 NFL Mock Draft
Turner’s early production led to an increased role in 2018, but it wasn’t on the edge. Turner grew an inch, and the team saw the potential for him on the interior. Thus, Turner bulked up to almost 290 pounds and took up a starting job as an interior lineman.
The true sophomore saw some solid results. He started in 11 games, amassing 42 total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, and four deflections. However, a season-ending ankle injury prevented him from closing out the season and brewed uncertainty for the coming campaign.

Turner’s return from injury, and his return to the edge​

Despite suffering his ankle injury late in the 2018 season, Turner roared back, starting all 12 games in 2019. Turner’s production from the interior increased. The former Houston EDGE logged 33 total tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, and 4 pass deflections. In 2020, Turner was primed to close out his career on a strong note as an interior defender. But his new coaches had something else in mind.

Instead, Turner trimmed 20 pounds and became an edge rusher again for Houston. He entered the year standing at 6-foot-6, 270 pounds, with a new gear of explosiveness now unlocked. Turner’s last season was his best one. In just five games, the Houston EDGE totaled 25 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 5.0 sacks, and a forced fumble.
Averaging over 2 tackles for loss and 1 sack per game, Turner quickly earned a reputation as one of the conference’s best defenders. For the first time in his career, he earned All-AAC recognition. Seeing his draft stock on the rise, Turner accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl, and chose to sit out Houston’s bowl game, officially setting his sights on the 2021 NFL Draft.

Analyzing Payton Turner’s NFL Draft profile​

Payton Turner is another player on the NFL Draft circuit who deserves more buzz. His production alone suggests this, but Turner also has traits that translate to the next level in a multitude of ways. It feels right to start with Turner’s athletic foundation because his unique physical talent enables him to be so versatile.
Turner is 6-foot-6, 270 pounds. He was 290 pounds earlier in his career when he played more on the interior line. Yet, over the 2020 offseason, he got back down to 270 and shifted to the edge. The result? Turner was explosive off the line, quick as a lateral mover, and flexible with his changes of direction. Turner has a ton of first-step quickness and closing burst in the pocket, and he also has the ankle flexion to stop and switch directions at a torrid pace.
Beyond his athleticism, Turner also brings good size and power. His length isn’t elite, but it’s still solid. He couples this length with developing pass rushing technique. Turner is still trending up in this area, but he already has several moves in his arsenal.

Furthermore, when listening to him speak, you can tell he’s aware that different situations and matchups call for different moves. Turner approaches his reps with a strategic mindset, which makes his athletic upside all the more enticing.
On top of everything else, Turner also brings excellent hustle and good pursuit speed for his size, and his length and change-of-direction ability allows him to make plays in that phase.

What are the issues with Turner’s draft profile?​

Luckily, a lot of Turner’s issues seem correctable with development. There are a few mitigating factors on his upside.
His length, as mentioned earlier, is good but not elite for his size. Thus, he may have more trouble with longer tackles. Turner’s speed also pales in comparison to other edge rushers. It’s worth noting that Turner is big enough that it won’t be a red flag if he runs a little slower. Nevertheless, he’s not as pure of a speed rusher as other players. He can win with his explosiveness, but he doesn’t have top-tier speed or bend.
Furthermore, Turner’s projection to the next level is a bit complicated. With his initial burst, power, and lateral athleticism, he can be a full-time edge rusher. However, his size and athleticism might also be utilized effectively in a rotational interior role.
Turner is an interesting player because, depending on offensive line matchups, he can be a versatile chess piece on the line. He can play standing up or in a three or four-point stance on the outside, and he can also swim inside to the three-technique or the 4i position. Teams must use his versatility correctly. Additionally, Turner’s power and length will have to translate to the NFL level.

Aside from that, Turner can use more development with his hand technique. He’s clearly trending upward there, however, and he has the strategic mindset to keep improving. Thus, he’s a relatively safe long-term investment on that front.

Payton Turner’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft​

There are some questions left for Payton Turner to answer. However, Turner has the ability to answer withstanding concerns in the 2021 offseason. With offseason testing, Turner can validate his athletic potential as a hybrid defensive lineman. And at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, he can keep rising by standing out against some of the top offensive line talent in the 2021 NFL Draft.
Turner is an extremely under-the-radar player when factoring in his production, athletic upside, and versatility. Depending on team fit, I’d be open to selecting him in the heart of the NFL Draft, between Round 3 and Round 5. He doesn’t quite have the buzz of a late Day 2 pick yet, but he has all the physical talent and potential necessary to get to that point. Plus, his on-field effort will serve as a compounding agent to teams wise on his upside.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Coolie, any chance the STEELERS look at him? Bring him in or meet with him prior to draft?

Salute the nation

CoolieMan

Most INtelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Coolie, any chance the STEELERS look at him? Bring him in or meet with him prior to draft?

Salute the nation
Lord only knows. He is a talented kid, UH pro day is in early April, so at least then we can see how he tests out and how that measures up to other DL

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lord only knows. He is a talented kid, UH pro day is in early April, so at least then we can see how he tests out and how that measures up to other DL
Please keep us apprised on this. a mid / late round pick might be worth it for depth and future. I'll be curious of the pro day rating.

thanks Coolie

Salute the nation