• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dak Prescott

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
There are good posters and then there are a couple that seemingly wait for Coach to post a thread for the sole intention to go in and offer nothing but name calling. You and Coach are two of our most active thread starters. Obviously threads are more straight forward traditional threads on Steelers topics. Coach doesn't always take that approach. The AFC thread was a great breakdown while another recent thread was unnecessary because we already had a thread on the topic. The approach on this one wasn't great since Dak can clearly play, but it does open up some discussion on the mental health of professional athletes given the pressure and financial implications. However, your idea that Coach has a 20:1 ratio of bad threads to good ones is just out of line and whenever anyone has that mindset and offer zero football discussion to the thread, rather than call out Coach, just don't reply. Less interesting threads die out very quickly and threads cluttered with arguing over his topics stay at the top of the board. Without you two starting threads--especially during the offseason--this place would be dead at times.
Why is it out of line? I don't consider a thread good if all he is going to do is pump his chest, talk **** about a player he has an agenda with, or something else with the sole purpose of gaining attention. And whatever ratio you are comfy with the man does a **** load of the mentioned. Of course we could ignore the plethora of bullshit he spews but I am not so sure he would post any less crap ignoring him.BTW as far as the name calling goes let us not paint cooch a saint. He does his fair share of belittling -posters and players. I guess I will have to somewhat agree to disagree with you. But hey it happens to the best of us.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score
To start I'm sorry to hear that but its a great sign she has overcome it. Someitng like 1 out of 4 women are depressed these days. You asked a football question, that's how I am going to reply,

We are talking NFL football, a physical collision type of sport. Dak plays quarterback and its' a very demanding mental and physical position. He's not sitting in an office.

Have you ever played or coached football? Well I have. Depressed people, even if they are built like Superman aren't very reliable.

Without an analysis on Dak's condition, the number of drugs he's taking, and knowing him I can say how much he is impacted.

I can say the NBA had a player come out with Depression and Anxiety ( Kevin Love ), and he's not quite as good as a player dealing with it. Lots of NFL guys bust because of this problem and are forgotten about because they don't last in the NFL. The Vikings drafted a guy in round one that had to cut years back. Randy Gregory has it, and I thought he great potential. He's out of the NFL now, I think.

Let's use a Steeler example. Terry Bradshaw.

When Bradshaw broke down, his symptoms included weight loss, frequent crying, and sleeplessness. Since he started taking the anti-depressant Paxil, his symptoms have become much more manageable.
Symptoms of Clinical Depression include:

• Persistent sadness and/or anxiety
• Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness and helplessness
• Anhedonia—loss of interest or pleasure in enjoyable activities, including sex
• Decreased energy or fatigue
• Concentration and/or memory problems and difficulty making decisions
• Insomnia or oversleeping
• Appetite changes, weight loss or weight gain
• Suicidal thoughts; suicide attempts

***Coach's insertion: None of the above will help you playing football, quite the opposite.***

"It's hard for me to put into words the horrific feeling of being depressed," the Hall of Famer has said. "It is the most sickening feeling in the world when you believe you are miserable and you're all alone."

Like many people struggling with depression, before being diagnosed, Bradshaw drank to self-medicate.

"I was drinking a lot, and I didn't like the path I was on," Bradshaw admits. "I was frightened by what might happen. I wasn't sure if I was going to drink myself to death."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/227445-facing-mental-illness-my-hero-terry-bradshaw

IMO people suffering from anxiety and depression need to relax. Having the media in your face 24x7 and preparing to play a very physical game is something else this a person who has anxiety / depression has to overcome. There is no telling when a break down can happen. The Quarterback is usually the first person to get blamed for a loss.

Anyone who thinks the Cowboys GM or caches are happy about this is out of their mind. I don't if Dallas knew until Dak came out, but if they did, I think its a very plausible reason Dak did not get a long term deal. Maybe the meds can help him, maybe not. We'll see.

Wow. That is quite a post and very informative as to your ignorance of Depression and Anxiety.

First, I did not ask a football question. I did not mention football at all.

Sitting in the office can actually make things worse and the physical demands on the body are not any more impactaful than office stresses. Being at the pinnacle part of your career is hard, but suffering a mental disorder such as depression does not mean one is debilitated and unable to perform.

Have I played or coached football? Many, Many seasons played and many many seasoned coached. Baseball as well, btw. Neither of which made me an expert in depression. I am reasonably sure that your coaching classes, books, clinics, experience did not give you any either. So maybe you interacted with a player or two who struggled with these disorders, but those are purely anecdotal experiences. It is mentally lazy to take an anecdotal experience and then apply to an entire population.

Depressed people are not reliable? Lots of laughs - another round of half cooked noodle tossing. Lots of High Anxiety and people with depression are extremely reliable and competent.

Kudos on listing symptoms of the disease - Google is a great thing isn't it. What I find really cool is you point out that the symptoms are manageable with meds and then ignore it. And that is really gets to the point - Anxiety and Depression are a mental disorders often caused by chemical imbalances in the body and are very manageable through modern treatments and medications. There is no reason that a person with correct health regime can't perform at high levels in the office or on the field. Is this true of all? No, of course not. there are always going to be cases where this is not true, but those are more than a sigma or two away from the mean. Is Dak closer to the middle of the bell curve or one of hte extremes with regards to this disorder? I have no idea and neither do you. That is best left to Dak and his doctors. But that doesn't fit your narrative/agenda so the obvious thing to do is just ignore it.

Your Opinion is Depressed People need to relax? wow. just wow. I was going to ask how Doc Coach came to that conclusion, but then I am quite sure I can't do the mental gymnastics required to get there so I will just leave it.

Bottom line is that the only ones who know Dak's situation are him, his doctors, and those close to him. But I will share one thing I have learned in life...professional athletes are a very different breed of people from the average John Q. Public. They have a drive and desire to excel and overcome adversity. Dak having a clinical diagnosis actually helps him - gives him the tools he needs to overcome. That is a positive thing. But rather than look at the guy and root for him to succeed, you follow your typical negative and judgemental path. But, hey, do you. you are who you are.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I get a kick out of all the losers going haywire on football topics that I post. If I were to write a post, and someone else posted the exact same content for me, I betcha it would be received differently.

Not that I aim for it, but I'm in a few poster's heads.

I welcome ANY football debate
. We have too many glasshouse types here. I say what I think and sometimes have fun reminding people.

I focus the I told you so's to the people who attack first. If the mods ran the board differently and barred trolling attacks ( which I seldom initiate, and mostly reply back to ), things would be different.

Who was the better QB? Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf???

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Or if people ignored what they didn't like then you wouldn't see it as much. He has never been shy he likes to debate and is almost the Skip Bayless of the board, but he readily admits that's his style. If you don't like it, don't open his threads. It's not difficult. The mute function works well for posters you don't like to read as well.

How was Joel Bushbaum taken on wexels board?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Wow. That is quite a post and very informative as to your ignorance of Depression and Anxiety.

Sitting in the office can actually make things worse and the physical demands on the body are not any more impactaful than office stresses. Being at the pinnacle part of your career is hard, but suffering a mental disorder such as depression does not mean one is debilitated and unable to perform.

Have I played or coached football? Many, Many seasons played and many many seasoned coached. Baseball as well, btw. Neither of which made me an expert in depression. I am reasonably sure that your coaching classes, books, clinics, experience did not give you any either. So maybe you interacted with a player or two who struggled with these disorders, but those are purely anecdotal experiences. It is mentally lazy to take an anecdotal experience and then apply to an entire population.

Depressed people are not reliable? Lots of laughs - another round of half cooked noodle tossing. Lots of High Anxiety and people with depression are extremely reliable and competent.

Kudos on listing symptoms of the disease - Google is a great thing isn't it. What I find really cool is you point out that the symptoms are manageable with meds and then ignore it. And that is really gets to the point - Anxiety and Depression are a mental disorders often caused by chemical imbalances in the body and are very manageable through modern treatments and medications. There is no reason that a person with correct health regime can't perform at high levels in the office or on the field. Is this true of all? No, of course not. there are always going to be cases where this is not true, but those are more than a sigma or two away from the mean. Is Dak closer to the middle of the bell curve or one of hte extremes with regards to this disorder? I have no idea and neither do you. That is best left to Dak and his doctors. But that doesn't fit your narrative/agenda so the obvious thing to do is just ignore it.

Your Opinion is Depressed People need to relax? wow. just wow. I was going to ask how Doc Coach came to that conclusion, but then I am quite sure I can't do the mental gymnastics required to get there so I will just leave it.

Bottom line is that the only ones who know Dak's situation are him, his doctors, and those close to him. But I will share one thing I have learned in life...professional athletes are a very different breed of people from the average John Q. Public. They have a drive and desire to excel and overcome adversity. Dak having a clinical diagnosis actually helps him - gives him the tools he needs to overcome. That is a positive thing. But rather than look at the guy and root for him to succeed, you follow your typical negative and judgemental path. But, hey, do you. you are who you are.

https://jessicagimeno.com/5-tips-for-being-reliable-when-you-are-depressed/

It could go either way for Dak. Some high anxiety and people with depression are extremely reliable and competent ( on medication ) Most until they get it under control are not. Anyone denying the downside here ( Not saying you ) is an idiot. End of.

If you asking me, I dislike Dallas and would like to see Dak retire and get his life back into order. That would be a win-win.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
How was Joel Bushbaum taken on wexels board?

Joel Buchsbaum? I heard he was a very good NFL writer :)

Is Wexell's ( two L's, Jim hates his last name misspelled ) still alive and kicking?

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score

It could go either way for Dak. Some high anxiety and people with depression are extremely reliable and competent ( on medication ) Most until they get it under control are not. Anyone denying the downside here ( Not saying you ) is an idiot. End of.

If you asking me, I dislike Dallas and would like to see Dak retire and get his life back into order. That would be a win-win.

You just can't help yourself always trying to lower others to pump yourself up. He owned you in the discussion but keep on not knowing when to throw in the towel.

Hoot

Contributor
Reaction score

Your article is about someone with bipolar disorder - that is not the same as depression. The writer also points out other medical issues. The article is about one person, not the entire population of those diagnosed with depression. I made this point above.

The point with Dak is that he has a clinical diagnosis thus giving him access to the tools he needs to overcome. I mentioned that above. I did notice you changed the direction a bit with others asking how does it make him better. It doesn't. nobody said it didn't. What people here have said is that is something that can be managed and a person can excel.

I am not asking you. I can clearly see your opinion and level of knowledge on the issue of depression.

This is the last I will post on this issue so you can have the last word.

Steelmann

Reaction score

Great,well thought out response Hoot.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Your article is about someone with bipolar disorder - that is not the same as depression. The writer also points out other medical issues. The article is about one person, not the entire population of those diagnosed with depression. I made this point above.

The point with Dak is that he has a clinical diagnosis thus giving him access to the tools he needs to overcome. I mentioned that above. I did notice you changed the direction a bit with others asking how does it make him better. It doesn't. nobody said it didn't. What people here have said is that is something that can be managed and a person can excel.

I am not asking you. I can clearly see your opinion and level of knowledge on the issue of depression.

This is the last I will post on this issue so you can have the last word.
Don't let him get you upset Hoot he is a lot of bit slow. You are wasting your time indepth discussing as he grasps little to nothing.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Comorbidities? So being a player is a disease?

Comorbidity can be a disease or a disorder or both.

A player/person can have many different types with varying degrees of each.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Right now, on the front page of this message board, Coach has more Multi Page Threads than any other poster. Currently his threads produce more clicks, views, and responses than any other poster.

If that bothers you, then you need to step up your game. This is a discussion board, provide a topic for discussion.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Right now, on the front page of this message board, Coach has more Multi Page Threads than any other poster. Currently his threads produce more clicks, views, and responses than any other poster.

If that bothers you, then you need to step up your game. This is a discussion board, provide a topic for discussion.

Go ahead Dave. What's stopping you?

Coach's multi page threads are a direct reflection of the quality of discussion, as most of his threads are everyone else telling him he's an idiot. Which MOST of the time he is. There's a reason Dobre and TMC aren't here. And it isn't me.

Yesterdays genius thread started by coach was a discussion on Dak's mental health. Yes dave, the bar is set soo high.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Thanks Dave, this board would pretty quiet without me. I enjoy saying what I say, without fear of a Steelers fan's going ad hominem fanboy me. If you don't like a thread or it doesn't interest you skip it. I do.

As you said, let's see who can step up their game. We do have some good posters here. I'd like to see more football talk. If things get dull, I'll post more often.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, this board would pretty quiet without me. I enjoy saying what I say, without fear of a Steelers fan's going ad hominem fanboy me. If you don't like a thread or it doesn't interest you skip it. I do.

As you said, let's see who can step up their game. We do have some good posters here. I'd like to see more football talk. If things get dull, I'll post more often.
No it wouldn't, you bring next to nothing to this board don't fool yourself.

Steelworth

Absolutely Worthless
Contributor
Reaction score
If you've really read through this thread and can't reconcile that Coach is an ignorant, self-serving douchebag of epic proportions, I don't know what else to say. Then reading the class act that is Hoot, I get reminded of that Joey Porter SB XL scene at the media tables where he's signaling with his hands "Joey" *up here* and "Jerramy" *way down here*.

Now just switch out the names.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score

Perhaps Coach should have his own section in The Stadium aside from Football.

It could be titled "Cooch", which some of the mods call him, or

L ook
A t
M e
E veryone!

Coolie could be in charge of font size.

Win/win/win.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ThePittsburghKid

Reaction score
You remain a low IQ person who lives in a trailer.

If you think depression helps a player, you even dumber than I thought.

Time to adjust the satellite dish on top of your trailer Slash. And while you sit on the couch on your porch, feed those dogs living under it.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Time to adjust the satellite dish on top of your trailer Slash. And while you sit on the couch on your porch, feed those dogs living under it.

I was wondering when you and your agenda would show up. Lame as always but I expect nothing more from you!