• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dalton released

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if the cheats will bite.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Not me...I'd rather Newton...

On this one I disagree Berm. I think Dalton is better suited to the backup, spot starter role than those others. It is not even a talent issue so much as the mental makeup of having to sit and be ready rather than being the guy. I think he ends up with the Cheats personally but I would have no issues with him as the backup.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
I'd rather have Dalton over Cam, Jamesis, or Rudolph. If it's only a few games, if Ben is out long term, then it doesn't matter.

He and Cam have been in the league since the same year, Dalton has more TD's, more yards, and a better completion %. Cams legs made him dangerous, he'll be turning 31 soon, his running isn't that dangerous anymore.

Last edited:

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey if the guy can survive that long playing for the Bungles.....he's got to be grounded..... he put up decent numbers and in my opinion was not the reason Cincy blew so many opportunities..
He would give me the confidence in a backup QB that I used to have in a Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich type of 2nd stringer. Hell I would have no problem to start him in both games against Cincy because he is calm, cool and collected as a QB.... He deserves better than he got in Cincy.... If his career was extended with us I would have no problem with it.......

Shane Falco

Pain is temporary, Glory lasts forever
Contributor
Reaction score
If I were a GM and needed a veteran QB to bridge the gap- Dalton would be at the top of my list.

Last edited:

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
It won't be Dalton or Newton. It will be Rudolph (for better or worse). Guy's going into year three and they obviously feel last year's experience is valuable. Or, they don't have enough cap space to sign anyone else. BTW, how long does a player have to be in the league to be considered a veteran; 4 years with little to no playing time, 3 years with extensive playing time, 2 years and half a season's worth of playing time?

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
It would be fun to hear Dalton talk about his last playoff game.

stillerfaninfl

Contributor
Reaction score
For the right price, hell yeah. MR to 3rd string. Tell Duck, Paxton and JT that Pizza Hut is always looking for delivery guys.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't get why the bengals cut him I know the have Burrows. but still.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
I could see us bringing in Cam but it would be on the super cheap. We had Leftwich and Batch backing up Ben at one point together. Not sure where Cam is with his frame of mind and his health but it could be a great opportunity for him to get reps if Ben ever went down.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I'd rather have Dalton over Cam, Jamesis, or Rudolph. If it's only a few games, if Ben is out long term, then it doesn't matter.

He and Cam have been in the league since the same year, Dalton has more TD's, more yards, and a better completion %. Cams legs made him dangerous, he'll be turning 31 soon, his running isn't that dangerous anymore.

Dalton also played with several pro-bowl WR's, not to mention, probably the 2nd or 3rd best WR of the past 5yrs.

You can certainly make the argument that Dalton would make a better backup because he is probably more amendable towards that role. But Cam is certainly the more dangerous QB, and basically carried that offense for the entirety of his career.

Only thing Dalton carried was AJ Green's jock strap.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Dalton also played with several pro-bowl WR's, not to mention, probably the 2nd or 3rd best WR of the past 5yrs.

You can certainly make the argument that Dalton would make a better backup because he is probably more amendable towards that role. But Cam is certainly the more dangerous QB, and basically carried that offense for the entirety of his career.

Only thing Dalton carried was AJ Green's jock strap.

His legs carried that offense, in 6 of his 9 seasons he's had a completion % of under 60, that's bad, the past two season it's been McCaffrey.
If you gave me the choice of Cam at his best or Andy at his best, I'm taking Cam, but his legs aren't what they used to be and that's what made him dangerous and opened the passing game up too.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I would like to see Red back-up Ben since we have no idea how Ben will play and if he can stay healthy. I hope their arrogance is not getting in the way of a logical decision here. Dalton is a better QB than Mason at this stage and would feel much more confident with him as my backup than Mason and Hodges. I’ll go a step further. I think if Dalton starts that game in Cincy last year instead of Finley, they may have won that game against us and coach average gets his first losing season. We won’t sign Red and will go in to the season with blinders as usual. I hope the hell Ben plays well and stays healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody ever consider that they figure if Ben goes down, the season is shot anyway and they ride Rudolph to Lawrence, Fields or another Rnd 1 QB? I mean, Andy Frickin Dalton isn't leading this team to a SB "IF" he were signed and "IF" Ben went down. But, he might lead the team to a good enough record to keep them from having a good draft pick (or being close enough to trade up for one).

Stewey

Reaction score
So what about JT Barret and Paxton Lynch? Are they destined to remain practice dummies? I don't know about these things.

Lynch is a big boy.

Last edited:

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody ever consider that they figure if Ben goes down, the season is shot anyway and they ride Rudolph to Lawrence, Fields or another Rnd 1 QB? I mean, Andy Frickin Dalton isn't leading this team to a SB "IF" he were signed and "IF" Ben went down. But, he might lead the team to a good enough record to keep them from having a good draft pick (or being close enough to trade up for one).

great point!