• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

De/olb's

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
So who are guys that are DE's but would play OLB in our system in this years draft? I have read that some think Dee Ford is a good fit for us and I hear guys talking about Kony Ealy a lot. Other guys I have read that could be OLB's are:

James Gayle - Virgina Tech
Jackson Jeffcoat - Tex
Will Clarke - West Virgina
Trent Murphy - Stanford
Aaron Lynch - South Fla
Larry Webster -Bloomsburgh
Ethan Westbrroks _ West Texas A&M

I did watch Webster and Westbrooks and they looked good the little I seen but they were playing DE, any thoughts on these guys or others I missed that would be a nice fit for our defense at OLB?

I

Idioteque

Marcus Smith has played plenty of OLB. He'd be a no-brainer at #46.

I like what I see from Carl Bradford, versatile as hell (has played ILB) and is a maniac from the edge.

Nobody talks about Morgan Breslin, but I like him in the 4th or 5th.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Demarcus Lawrence also

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Jackson Jeffcoat is an interesting player to me. Had a pretty good season just one year from surgery. Not sure where he will go but 3rd or 4th I guess.

If he was there in the 4th I would take him for sure. Basically, I think he could get stronger and really turn into a nice player. Dont want him any earlier than the 3rd though because we have other pressing needs and he will not contribute anytime soon.

fogdoctor

Reaction score
Jackson Jeffcoat is an interesting player to me. Had a pretty good season just one year from surgery. Not sure where he will go but 3rd or 4th I guess.

If he was there in the 4th I would take him for sure. Basically, I think he could get stronger and really turn into a nice player. Dont want him any earlier than the 3rd though because we have other pressing needs and he will not contribute anytime soon.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaron Lynch would most likely be a project. And one that may not make it onto an active roster for a bit. He produced at Notre Dame, but was more of a Who? at USF after losing weight.
He's worth a late pick, but to expect a lot of the guy right off the bat would not be logical.

Wingman

Reaction score
I read some evals on Jeffcoat and they did not indicate to me that he would be a good choice to go to outside linebacker or 3/4 defensive end. After looking at the evals all he had was obviously the pedigree but he did not look that impressive as far as agility or speed. He apparently will likely cover a very small area and is not likely to be a great force at the next level. But that is just what I read I have not watched him play.

I

Idioteque

Jeffcoat has a lot of the tools needed - he's relentless and violent and uses his hands really well. But while he ran a nice 40, he doesn't pursue or close very well. The 3rd sounds about right for him, but not as an OLB with pursuit duties.

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
Will Clarke would not be an olb, he would play the 5 technique in a 3-4.

This is what I read on Clarke, I do not know enough as to what DE's could turn into LB's but I know when I wacted him in the Shrine game he was getting at the qb.

Positive: Three-year starter awarded all-conference honors the past two years. Senior totals included a career-best 49 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, and 6 sacks. Also broke up three passes. Athletic college defensive linemen whose game is on the upswing. Solid pass rusher and plays with excellent balance. Can bend off the edge and shows the ability to change direction then pursue outside the numbers. Works his hands throughout the action, keeps his feet moving on contact, and fires off the snap with a terrific first step. Plays with good pad level, can readjust, and smooth.
Negative: Lacks bulk, outpositioned by opponents, and struggles getting off blocks once engaged at the point of attack. Shows limited strength and power.
Analysis: Clark is a tall lineman who possesses an effective combination of movement skills and athleticism. He offers possibilities as a two-gap end and should only get better as he physically matures and adds strength to his game.