• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dennard falling big time?

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Dennard is a ball hawk, I saw some tape he does tend to hold a bit like how Lewis did in 2012 but that can be corrected, he due to his physical style when breaking up passes some of the ways he was in on tape on the ultimate darqueze Dennard highlights he will get called for illegial contact so him and Lake would have to work on that if we take him. I think the 2-4 has enough WR's where we can get a great long term SE. I say we go CB rnd 1and 2
1 Dennard
2 Mcgill/Roby/Fuller
3 Moncrief/Bryant

or 1 Dennard/Gilbert
2 WRMatthews/CB Verrett/CBMcgill/CBRobinson/WR penn st
3 Moncrief/Bryant/ CB Gaines/ WR Colman
4 Aikens/Abbrederis/Latimer/Hazel

this draft is so loaded at CB and WR

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
Dennard is a ball hawk, I saw some tape he does tend to hold a bit like how Lewis did in 2012 but that can be corrected, he due to his physical style when breaking up passes some of the ways he was in on tape on the ultimate darqueze Dennard highlights he will get called for illegial contact so him and Lake would have to work on that if we take him. I think the 2-4 has enough WR's where we can get a great long term SE. I say we go CB rnd 1and 2
1 Dennard
2 Mcgill/Roby/Fuller
3 Moncrief/Bryant

or 1 Dennard/Gilbert
2 WRMatthews/CB Verrett/CBMcgill/CBRobinson/WR penn st
3 Moncrief/Bryant/ CB Gaines/ WR Colman
4 Aikens/Abbrederis/Latimer/Hazel

this draft is so loaded at CB and WR

deljzc

Reaction score
I've had Dennard the 3rd best cornerback for a while (after Gilbert and Roby).

I find it funny that the tape I watched before the combine and how I evaluated it is slowing coming true based on "rising and falling" draft status.

I was never sold on Dennard as the best CB. He predominantly played the short side of the field and had the boundary to help him out consistently. He doesn't play in as much space as the other CB prospects, which made me feel he lacked "elite" speed (and wouldn't you know it, he ran above a 4.5). He's a very solid tackler that is best in zone concepts. He does not turn and run with guys like some of the other prospects.

Look... Dennard is a good prospect. He's a late 1st round talent. And of all the guys, Dennard might appeal to what Lebeau/Tomlin like in the position the most (I still think Roby is the best prospect for our defense). I know Gilbert is not their type because he struggles at tackling and is best suited to playing off-man coverage and running with guys in their pocket (which we just don't ask of our CB much).

We will see if they "force" Dennard to not. I suspect they could just like they did with Jarvis Jones. Unfortunately I see the potential for a very "average" starter in Dennard. Good, not great. Better than William Gay and D. Townsend and some of the other #2's we've had, but never as good as Taylor in his prime and probably not as good as what Cortez Allen could be.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Dennard is too slow and just grabs too much. He will grab more at the NFL level because he lacks speed to stay with faster wr's. Personally I try like hell to trade back to get an extra third rounder...maybe with Miami. If Gilbert is there I take him. Ideally I would take a cb, then Nix in rd 2. I'm hoping Nix falls. If we can get an extra third rounder we can go wr there after cb, and Nix.

How about
1.Fuller/Roby/Dennard
2.Nix
3.Moncrief

ZACKB

Reaction score
draft thoughts

Dennard is too slow and just grabs too much. He will grab more at the NFL level because he lacks speed to stay with faster wr's. Personally I try like hell to trade back to get an extra third rounder...maybe with Miami. If Gilbert is there I take him. Ideally I would take a cb, then Nix in rd 2. I'm hoping Nix falls. If we can get an extra third rounder we can go wr there after cb, and Nix.

How about
1.Fuller/Roby/Dennard
2.Nix
3.Moncrief

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of people wanting to push WR off until 3rd round or later in the draft. I guess the hope is that whoever is available then is still an impact type of player. My question to those thinking this way is this: Suppose Wheaton doesn't pan out this year and/or his injuries last year (along with Moore's) were more the norm than an exception, do you want to rely on a 3rd round rookie to carry the load?

ZACKB

Reaction score
Although DHB and Morre aren't amazing..we do have depth. There are also vets out there without jobs. I think there guys in rd 3 that could help us. Moncrief is an example. We would prob need to trade down and get an extra third rounder to get him though.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Although DHB and Morre aren't amazing..we do have depth. There are also vets out there without jobs. I think there guys in rd 3 that could help us. Moncrief is an example. We would prob need to trade down and get an extra third rounder to get him though.

Just personal preference, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing Vandy WR Jordan Mathews picked in the 2nd.

DeaconKnowledge

Reaction score
Steelers are going to split their first round pick 5 ways.

We *need* a corner, so we have to get that in the first
We *need* a DE, so that's first too
We also *need* a tall receiver, that's a first round pick
We really *need* an ILB, so that's another one
and we also *need* a Tackle so that rounds things out.

Good thing we have 5 first round picks or else we'd really be screwed!

skialta

Reaction score
Yeah I can't wait till Jones makes all of you haters eat crow. The dude was a rookie last year and contributed. He wasn't Greg Lloyd in his prime but he will figure it out.

i love when people come with that. those of us that think he's overmatched at this level would LOVE to eat crow. absolutely love it. problem is...we're not ever going to have to

ZACKB

Reaction score
We do need a corner and a NT/DE...depending on what you do with McClendon. We can take care of those needs in rds 1-3. These needs are obvious, simple, and known.

Steelers are going to split their first round pick 5 ways.

We *need* a corner, so we have to get that in the first
We *need* a DE, so that's first too
We also *need* a tall receiver, that's a first round pick
We really *need* an ILB, so that's another one
and we also *need* a Tackle so that rounds things out.

Good thing we have 5 first round picks or else we'd really be screwed!

deljzc

Reaction score
The cornerbacks are very diverse this year.

The best outside guys within 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage (Dennard and Fuller stand out) are different than the best outside CB's 10-30 yards downfield (Gilber, Purifoy). There are some tempting "size" prospects (Jean-Baptiste, McGill). There are some very good man-under and slot defenders (Verrett, Hampton, Joyner).

I like Roby because he's the only outside the numbers guy that seems to me to be good both inside 10 yards (tackles well, attacks screens well, etc.) but has the length and top end speed to also turn and run with a guy for 30 yards downfield. I think Gilbert is the best downfield and teams will not care about his poor tackling and close to the line issues.

It's all eye-of-beholder and what you want for your team.

I worry about the within 10 yard type because you see a LOT of them on film, but you see that one or two plays downfield and they are a bit exposed. I saw some plays where Fuller got turned around by his man or bites on fakes. Fuller is just not a guy that will last 3 seconds into a play with an NFL caliber wide receiver. I like him because he's tough and physical but there will be plays that will have you shaking your head too. Dennard is better than Fuller in my opinion but only because he seems a bit more polished downfield and has a better feel for the game on all levels. Dennard has a better clock in his head for the play than Fuller as well.

Like WR, it's not like these prospects are bad, but they could be bad if expected to do things the film says they can't. If a team drafts Dennard and puts him in press-man or bail-man and expects him to play at an pro-bowl level, he could get so exposed it could ruin his confidence and destroy him. You put Gilbert in a off-zone type team (like the Steelers) and we'll be yelling at the TV with how much cushion he's giving and how unnatural he looks at tackling.

I think matching CB ability with what they are best at is a problem in the NFL coaching circles. Some get very blessed to be in the right team, right spot and right amount of playing time to build confidence and develop correctly. Others do not.

I just hope whoever the Steelers draft, they use him based on the players' strengths and not try to pound a square peg into a round hole.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
In 1 BPA at CB/WR/DE/OLBer/ ...........picked this as it seems to be the strength of th draft

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
trade down
1 Gilbert/Roby
2 Mcgill/Nix/ Jean-Baptiste
3 via tradeMoncrief/bryant
3 comp Ellis/mccullurs/Aikens
4 Fiedoworitz Ellis/mccullurs/Aikens

ZACKB

Reaction score
If Nix is there in rd 2, you take him. If not, maybe Tuit in 2, Ellis in rd 4, we need a NT to compete with Thomas. I think McClendon moves to DE and plays some NT on passing downs occasionally.

keslerclan

Reaction score
Even though the "perception" is that Dennard is falling (while Roby and Fuller are rising), it doesn't mean he is not worth the lowered value. I take my chances with Dennard if he falls to late 1st or even 2nd. I think Roby has the most "potential" of the top CBs but I like Gilbert and Fuller better now. I don't like Purifoy until 4th round or later and think Jaylen Watkins is of higher value as a "Steeler-type" CB. Roby looks (at times) like the best prospect but not so good at others. It looks like his athleticism is NOT the issue. I would rather have the smarter player with limited athleticism than a dummy with all the tools. That's why I still value Dennard higher than Roby.
Right now, I rate them in this order:
Gilbert, Fuller, Dennard, Roby and Verrett, the second tier players 'might' end up better future players but there simply isn't enough tape against high level competition. I like guys like Baptiste, P. Gaines, Desir, Watkins, Exum, Aikens, Mitchell, Colvin and EJ Gaines.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Please do not draft for need with this first pick. Remember Troy Edwards! Draft the best player on the board at 15 or trade down and pick up extra pick.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Well, we really need a corner since ike is retiring. Why are so many people not on board with a cb as a need? We really need one who can start opposite Cortez in 2015.

deljzc

Reaction score
Well, we really need a corner since ike is retiring. Why are so many people not on board with a cb as a need? We really need one who can start opposite Cortez in 2015.

Cortez isn't under contract in 2015 yet.

steelhurt

Reaction score

I take BPA at 15.If Dennard and or Gilbert are rated the highest on their board when they pick, then by all means, do it. But if a guy like Ebron, Evans (I know won't be there) or Lewan are rated higher, then I'm picking the higher rated player. Ike will play one more year so we address that position in 2015 with F/A and the draft.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of people wanting to push WR off until 3rd round or later in the draft. I guess the hope is that whoever is available then is still an impact type of player. My question to those thinking this way is this: Suppose Wheaton doesn't pan out this year and/or his injuries last year (along with Moore's) were more the norm than an exception, do you want to rely on a 3rd round rookie to carry the load?

Ask Keenan Allen in San Diego...

ZACKB

Reaction score
I disagree. CB is a huge need. we need one in rd 1 or 2.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Ask Keenan Allen in San Diego...

Just because it happened once doesn't make it a trend. Have we replaced James Harrison with another undrafted OLB with a burning desire to work hard to succeed? Or maybe we can cross our fingers and hope a 6th round draft choice develops like Antonio Brown.