• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dennard falling big time?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Draft the highest rated player on the board. Do not reach for a CB.

ZACKB

Reaction score
No way can you take Anthony Barr when we plan to extend Worlds, for example. Would you take him over Gilbert if he is slightly higher...no damn way...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Need or BPA at 1.15, they must be able to start in year one. If not, you made a bad choice. We have many needs on this team. If you can't get a CB or WR at 1.15 that can come in and start as our highest needs, then whomever you pick better be able to start at their position - no excuses.

ZACKB

Reaction score
I disagree. A cb drafted this year can play nickel or dime and then start next year. A cb would be a real smart move, especially in the current game where its all passing.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
If Barr is rated higher then take Barr. The 3-4 is as only as good as its pass rush.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, on this very board, it was said that if Dennard was available, the Steelers should absolutely, without question, draft him.

Now we shouldn't.....what changed? Did his game tape change? Did he have a bad combine in the last two weeks? Did he get arrested? Did his medicals change?

Oh, wait, a rumor came out he was sliding and now he is not worthy. Maybe, just maybe, two weeks ago, he was not worthy either.

The good news, since he is sliding, we still "need" a corner, so he should be there. Does not matter if he sucks, we "need" him.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of people wanting to push WR off until 3rd round or later in the draft. I guess the hope is that whoever is available then is still an impact type of player. My question to those thinking this way is this: Suppose Wheaton doesn't pan out this year and/or his injuries last year (along with Moore's) were more the norm than an exception, do you want to rely on a 3rd round rookie to carry the load?

Cope said:
Ask Keenan Allen in San Diego...

Just because it happened once doesn't make it a trend. Have we replaced James Harrison with another undrafted OLB with a burning desire to work hard to succeed? Or maybe we can cross our fingers and hope a 6th round draft choice develops like Antonio Brown.

You're the one saying you can't rely on a 3rd Rd Rookie WR. I shown that in fact it can happen. I can't control how you feel about it.

deljzc

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty down on this draft right now.

I was hoping the quarterback hype was true and the three big guys (Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater) would go in the top 12 and at least push SOME guys down to us.

But the more I think is true is the tape is the tape. Teams aren't stupid. They see the same flaws with this quarterback class I've seen since January. There's not a top-10 QB in this draft and anyone that watches film for a living knows it.

I'm starting to think NO quarterbacks are going in the top-15 and no real consensus, top-10 talent is going to be there for us.

Take the QB's out of it. Here are my top talents:

Clowney, Matthews, Robinson, Watkins, Mack, Barr, Lewan, Evans, Donald, Gilbert (that's 11).

I really think those 11 are gone. Maybe Barr slips. Maybe.

Then you got this huge list that goes from Mosley to Jernigan to Ford to Nix to Pryor/Clinton-Dix to Dennard/Roby to Lee/Beckham to Hagerman/Ealy to Martin/Kouandijo.

This is a year that scouting talent is going to matter because there is no consensus on those guys. They are all good players, but who's going to be the best? Could be a crap shoot. Could be more luck this year than skill.

I don't see much difference. I can see the positives of most of those prospects. I can see the negatives. I see some risk.

Knowing the Steelers we aren't going to rock the boat TOO much. Our pick is likely (98% likely) out of that group. It's just a matter of who.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
You're the one saying you can't rely on a 3rd Rd Rookie WR. I shown that in fact it can happen. I can't control how you feel about it.

Didn't say it "COULDN'T" happen. But I sure wouldn't want to base my whole draft/season on hoping that it does. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

ark steel

Reaction score
I'm getting pretty down on this draft right now.

I was hoping the quarterback hype was true and the three big guys (Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater) would go in the top 12 and at least push SOME guys down to us.

But the more I think is true is the tape is the tape. Teams aren't stupid. They see the same flaws with this quarterback class I've seen since January. There's not a top-10 QB in this draft and anyone that watches film for a living knows it.

I'm starting to think NO quarterbacks are going in the top-15 and no real consensus, top-10 talent is going to be there for us.

Take the QB's out of it. Here are my top talents:

Clowney, Matthews, Robinson, Watkins, Mack, Barr, Lewan, Evans, Donald, Gilbert (that's 11).

I really think those 11 are gone. Maybe Barr slips. Maybe.

Then you got this huge list that goes from Mosley to Jernigan to Ford to Nix to Pryor/Clinton-Dix to Dennard/Roby to Lee/Beckham to Hagerman/Ealy to Martin/Kouandijo.

This is a year that scouting talent is going to matter because there is no consensus on those guys. They are all good players, but who's going to be the best? Could be a crap shoot. Could be more luck this year than skill.

I don't see much difference. I can see the positives of most of those prospects. I can see the negatives. I see some risk.

Knowing the Steelers we aren't going to rock the boat TOO much. Our pick is likely (98% likely) out of that group. It's just a matter of who.

I think at least two QB's go before our pick, regardless of whether they are worth it.

On the radio, I heard that, after his QB Camp, Gruden stated that, in 10 years, Aaron Murray will have been the best QB from this draft and he won't go until much later than the 1st. I don't know much about Murray but this seems an unlikely prediction. Just repeating what I heard. Looked for a link, but the only thing that came up in google was a broken link.

keslerclan

Reaction score
Some of us have been sayin for a while that a #15 pick is not as valuable as 2 picks from 25-45. I still feel this way and would LOVE to have 3 picks in this range (including our own #2).

We could take a BPA at an unexpected position (along the DL, for instance) while still getting a shot at a pro-caliber WR, CB, S, or TE. IMO, those are the better values in the range of 25-60, IMO.

While most of the consensus top 15s will be gone by the end of round 1, there is always a few 'wild-card' picks that allow comparable talent at a position we may need to fall. The whole draft is a crapshoot to begin with when we don't have the 'same' information available to the teams themselves. Coaches have influence, their scouts have influence AND some owners have too much influence...draftniks have none. Any team that reads the draftniks reports only uses the information THEY agree with and can prove through deeper evaluation.

deljzc

Reaction score
I think at least two QB's go before our pick, regardless of whether they are worth it.

On the radio, I heard that, after his QB Camp, Gruden stated that, in 10 years, Aaron Murray will have been the best QB from this draft and he won't go until much later than the 1st. I don't know much about Murray but this seems an unlikely prediction. Just repeating what I heard. Looked for a link, but the only thing that came up in google was a broken link.

Aaron Murray is SO small. You think Manziel is small when you see him running around, watch Murray.

I know Gruden and those west-coast guru's don't put a lot of stake in size at the position (going all the way back to Montana) but come on....