• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Devin Bush

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm telling you, rate him after the bye. He's been healthy for 2 weeks this season. Week 1 and Week 5 bfore retweeking his groin. When he's 100%, he's amazing. He hasn't been there most of this year. Wait to see him after the bye, he should be at his best against the Browns.

And Spillaine is only getting the dime snaps because they're trying to rest Bush and his groin, so he doesn't have to go sideline to sideline as the only ILB on the field. If he's completely healhty, he's the dimebacker.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
I'm telling you, rate him after the bye. He's been healthy for 2 weeks this season. Week 1 and Week 5 bfore retweeking his groin. When he's 100%, he's amazing. He hasn't been there most of this year. Wait to see him after the bye, he should be at his best against the Browns.

And Spillaine is only getting the dime snaps because they're trying to rest Bush and his groin, so he doesn't have to go sideline to sideline as the only ILB on the field. If he's completely healhty, he's the dimebacker.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I hope you are write....

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The steelers also showed they were wary of Bush's development in the offseason. With a lot of needs, they drafted an ILB. Then they traded for Schobert. To me that's more than being concerned with Bush's recovery. That's them thinking he may be a bust. Maybe not bust, but just an average starter, like Edmunds.
This is what it feels like to me. I don't view Bush as a bust, but he isn't living up to the top 10 draft status and that's why they brought in Shobert. If Bush was a dominant player they would feel comfortable with a guy like Spillane or another non-heralded player in the middle as they did with guys like Farrior/Timmons/Shazier paired with Foote/Williams etc.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the wait and see card is still out on BUSH. He needs to be showing signs of improvement from week to week. Injury does take time to fully recover but other players of that nature show signs of improvement along the way. NO, having a fumble bounce right to you isn't improvement, it's called a good bounce and everyone gets those occasionally.

Devon needs to step up both mentally and injury advancement progress because you don't get to use the injury indefinately. What does stick indefinately is the words "FIRST ROUND BUST" and even though I don't think he is that yet, he could very well end up there should things not change soon.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PS

Cope is right on seeing what he does after the bye because he should be healed from the nagging injuries that add up.

For the sake of the team and for Devon himself, I do hope he prevails.

Salute the nation

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree with those saying he wasn't good before the injury. We saw a serious change in rushing defense when he went out and started to give up outside runs. He was quietly making a difference.
A serious change in the rushing defense? The Steelers held Derrick Henry to 75 yards on 20 carries in the game following Bush's injury.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score

It's hard to understand how you can come up with that statement. He's amazing? Really? With 2 half sacks, 0 tackles for loss, and a 99 QB rating against in pass coverage during those five healthy games last year?

C'mon, guy. You're seeing what you really want to see, but it's not there.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
A serious change in the rushing defense? The Steelers held Derrick Henry to 75 yards on 20 carries in the game following Bush's injury.
Yes but as the season wore on they were exposed on the outside runs. Spillane was fine up the middle but had no ability to contain a speed runner to the outside. Bush was doing well at that while he was in. Also covering wheel routes and flairs that killed us late in the season.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
It's hard to understand how you can come up with that statement. He's amazing? Really? With 2 half sacks, 0 tackles for loss, and a 99 QB rating against in pass coverage during those five healthy games last year?

C'mon, guy. You're seeing what you really want to see, but it's not there.
I would say the same about you. You are seeing what you want to see not what the good he was doing. He was certainly still learning to cover the middle of the field but was excellent covering the edges and boundaries. He is still learning to play the inside game and the loss of Tuitt and Tyson are hurting his ability to attack the ball like had started doing. Get Tuitt back or have one of the young uys step up in the middle and keep him clean he will be great. He isn't the prototypical shed and thump player we are used to.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I would say the same about you. You are seeing what you want to see not what the good he was doing. He was certainly still learning to cover the middle of the field but was excellent covering the edges and boundaries. He is still learning to play the inside game and the loss of Tuitt and Tyson are hurting his ability to attack the ball like had started doing. Get Tuitt back or have one of the young uys step up in the middle and keep him clean he will be great. He isn't the prototypical shed and thump player we are used to.
In a way you are confirming topseed’s assessment that Bush has not lived up to the impact he was supposed to make given the investment the team has made. He’s been a very limited player so far and hasn’t shown any signs of a breakout yet.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
so my option is slow,,, vs swept up in the wash and no tackle made.. and look like youre afraid to tackle.... ?

Ill take slow.

Last edited:

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes but as the season wore on they were exposed on the outside runs. Spillane was fine up the middle but had no ability to contain a speed runner to the outside. Bush was doing well at that while he was in. Also covering wheel routes and flairs that killed us late in the season.
We'll have to disagree about how good you believe Bush is in pass coverage. Even at "full health," his passer rating against was 97.4 in 2019 (versus a 90.4 league QB rating average), and in 2020 it was 98.9 versus 93.6. This year passes going Bush's way are resulting in a whopping 116.1 rating for opposing quarterbacks. You and many others have always overrated his ability to cover, and it's only getting worse as he becomes more injury-prone.

And he hasn't been attacking **** in the run game. It's his job to fill the hole where the back is going to be, no matter who is in there at defensive tackle. He can't even smell it. He gets washed out of the play a vast majority of the time. Re-watch the games for yourself, and you'll come to the same realization. I'm not seeing what I want to see, believe me. I want to see the good play and production from Bush that one would correlate with a top ten pick, but it simply doesn't exist.

Steelmann

Reaction score

Would love to share this optimism. But the word “Amazing “is a stretch.
Mr Watt was amazing last game. Mr Bush has not even come close to Amazing.
Let’s hope he does.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
We'll have to disagree about how good you believe Bush is in pass coverage. Even at "full health," his passer rating against was 97.4 in 2019 (versus a 90.4 league QB rating average), and in 2020 it was 98.9 versus 93.6. This year passes going Bush's way are resulting in a whopping 116.1 rating for opposing quarterbacks. You and many others have always overrated his ability to cover, and it's only getting worse as he becomes more injury-prone.

And he hasn't been attacking **** in the run game. It's his job to fill the hole where the back is going to be, no matter who is in there at defensive tackle. He can't even smell it. He gets washed out of the play a vast majority of the time. Re-watch the games for yourself, and you'll come to the same realization. I'm not seeing what I want to see, believe me. I want to see the good play and production from Bush that one would correlate with a top ten pick, but it simply doesn't exist.
Before his injury he was doing well against the run particularly to the outside which had been hurting us. I think his problem against the run inside right now is twofold, he is still tentative and he is getting guys on the second level due to injuries on the line. the youngsters on the d line are not eating up blockers and he gets lost in the wash. Hopefully both of those things will get better. I don’t dispute he has issue covering the middle but even there he was showing flashes of what he could do. He was much better than the other LBs though when covering the backs in the flats. All of our guys have struggled covering the middle of the field.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm giving Bush until next year when he is fully healed and hopefully we see why we drafted him.. He showed flashes as a rookie prior to get injured in his 2nd year and then having injuries this year as well. I am not sure when they have to decide on his 5th year but right now there is no way you do that. Other than the flashes as a rookie, we have very little to go on with him as he is still recovering as ACL'S typically take that full next season (this season) to heal. Hopefully, he make a huge leap next year and we can sign him to his 5th-year option and go from there. If he still doesn't show enough next year, then like Edmunds, don't sign the 5th year option.

Stewey

Reaction score
It took a couple of years for Dupree to get good.

God willing Bush will become a Dupree and not a Jarvis Jones.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score

I hope I am wrong ....... but I think you may suffer from a serious case of blue balls waiting for this Bush to become amazing......

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
ive seen no flashes from bush. Hes had time.. Him and Edmunds are busts. Edmunds might even be better at his position than bush is.
Are you forgetting all of his turnovers his rookie year when he was first starting. Dude was an animal. Still waiting on anything from Edmunds.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush was never very good before the injury. Now he's horrendous. I've never seen a starting NFL inside linebacker with poorer vision and instincts while attempting to defend the run. He has no clue where the ball carrier is heading. Ever.
He’s no Shazier, but he’s the speedier sideline to sideline option. He’s too small to be a thumper

stuntmanmike

Contributor
Reaction score
butler needs to fukn answer as to why he keeps assigning linebackers to defend wrs. this has been going on for years!!!! its stupid and doesn't produce any positive results. the definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results! if I was one of our linebackers id smack him in the head with a helmet maybe loosen things up! they are chewing up our linebackers and safeties on third downs... horrible. they had Schubert defending the Las Vegas wr-te probably best receiver in football in the slot on key third downs! geez butler hasn't learned nothing after having gronkowski and Brady killing us for years! we have problems with TEs since butler has taken over defense so what do we do?? we drat a 5-11 inside linebacker! that has to sit on bench cuz he suks! he's like Biden doesn't even know what TE we are facing game day!!! GEEZUS

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
butler needs to fukn answer as to why he keeps assigning linebackers to defend wrs. this has been going on for years!!!! its stupid and doesn't produce any positive results. the definition of stupid is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results! if I was one of our linebackers id smack him in the head with a helmet maybe loosen things up! they are chewing up our linebackers and safeties on third downs... horrible. they had Schubert defending the Las Vegas wr-te probably best receiver in football in the slot on key third downs! geez butler hasn't learned nothing after having gronkowski and Brady killing us for years! we have problems with TEs since butler has taken over defense so what do we do?? we drat a 5-11 inside linebacker! that has to sit on bench cuz he suks! he's like Biden doesn't even know what TE we are facing game day!!! GEEZUS
Keith Butler’s look on his face doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing at times.

Honestly switch him out of his sideline Steelers apparel and the guy looks like a bona fide UPS driver. Delivering broken dreams to a promising talented defense