• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Diontae - Chances of getting new contract this year.

johngaenzler

Reaction score
Is Omar even speaking to Diontae’s agent? Personally I would like to see them at least offer him something somewhere in the McLaurin range (maybe 3 years $58M) as I think he’s better than McLaurin but I fear we will just have a disgruntled receiver on the roster all year and he will put up mediocre stats and be gone next Spring…

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Well something is happening be it they are close to a contact or a trade. If they are miles apart and he is going to play what is the point of holding him out.

Chicoman

Reaction score
With the emergence of George Pickens who already has far superior hands and is a more complete WR on a rookie contract, Dionte Johnson is basically expendable after this season. He's going to command in the $20-25 Million per season range and I'm sorry this kid is not worth half of that! They would be better off going after Juju in the offseason as he is younger and a more complete #2 WR than Dionte Johnson ever could be. Plus $20+ Million to spend on a WR who is clearly not a #1 WR is just a waste of money when they have a young kid in Pickens who looks like he could be the steal of the 2022 NFL Draft. Not to mention we have Calvin Austin on this roster too. Sorry the Steelers have more pressing needs on this team than tying up that kind of money in a guy who is slightly better than average.

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
With the emergence of George Pickens who already has far superior hands and is a more complete WR on a rookie contract, Dionte Johnson is basically expendable after this season...
I gotta believe DJ cringes every time Pickens makes a catch. His value (as a Steeler) is going down each day the rookie receivers show value. If Claypool starts taking a leadership role in the receivers room…DJ’s value drops even lower.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd put his chances of getting a deal this year at 5% if he is looking for $20+ million and at 20% for deals less than that. The Steelers have a lot of guys getting good exposure right now in camp with DJ out and Claypool missing a few practices. He overplayed his hand. He needs to be in camp getting close with all of the QB's so he can have his best year yet and then get a contract (probably somewhere else). If our new QB finds other favorite targets and DJ's numbers go down, he will be less valued come next year.

steelhurt

Reaction score
The guy most likely won’t take less than 20 million per season. No way should they overpay for a no 2 receiver such as him. We have Claypool, Pickens, Cal Austin, Anthony Miller, Gunner, and others so why would we overpay him? Omar and Andy damn it seems odd saying that, need to gauge trade interest.
Get him gone if we can get a second round pick.

Buster

Reaction score
With the crazy money WR’s are getting now, if I am a GM I draft 2 or 3 every year knowing that I won’t be signing any top tier guy to a second contract. Just keep churning through them.

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
I hope they don’t pay him 20 million a year. But he was top 5 in receptions and top 10 in yards in our ****** offense. His agent would be a moron if he didn’t ask for top 10 WR money.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
With the crazy money WR’s are getting now, if I am a GM I draft 2 or 3 every year knowing that I won’t be signing any top tier guy to a second contract. Just keep churning through them.
I think this is what you have to do. I don't know about 2 or 3 a year but you may need to draft a WR in the top 3 or 4 rounds just about every year. Resign a guy here and there but no way do you spend $20 million for a WR.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Right now I would NOT sign DJ at all unless the price was right. I'd play him this season and possible tag pending on this year's play for next season.

Does 18.5 per sound right? I doubt we get him for any less ?

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
The guy most likely won’t take less than 20 million per season. No way should they overpay for a no 2 receiver such as him. We have Claypool, Pickens, Cal Austin, Anthony Miller, Gunner, and others so why would we overpay him? Omar and Andy damn it seems odd saying that, need to gauge trade interest.
Get him gone if we can get a second round pick.
There are arguments to not overpay DJ. This is not one of them.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Now it's Deebo Samuels time, 71,5M/ 3 years. Feels like DJ is the only one left without an extension from that very good WR draft

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Actually that used to be the Steelers way… if you had a guy that was really good but not great, and ypu had young replacements in the wings, you make him a fair offer and if tgey walk they walk.

Deebo just got a 3 year contract extension that could be worth over 73 million with bonuses, 58 mil guaranteed… thats off of exactly one great year… in which his production was split between rushing and receiving… that’s insane money for one season of production

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Right now I would NOT sign DJ at all unless the price was right. I'd play him this season and possible tag pending on this year's play for next season.

Does 18.5 per sound right? I doubt we get him for any less ?

Salute the nation
The Leveon bell argument should come into play with tge franchise tage next year lol … someone should argue that Deebo got paid as a wr/ rb so all that shouldn’t be wr money😂

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Actually that used to be the Steelers way… if you had a guy that was really good but not great, and ypu had young replacements in the wings, you make him a fair offer and if tgey walk they walk.

Deebo just got a 3 year contract extension that could be worth over 73 million with bonuses, 58 mil guaranteed… thats off of exactly one great year… in which his production was split between rushing and receiving… that’s insane money for one season of production
That usually happened after a second contract and the replacement had 2-3 years of experience all under the belt. Claypool hasn't proven himself to be consistent, Pickens and Austin are unknowns, and the rest are borderline roster players. Maybe if this was next year and Pickens was coming off an 800-yard and 7 TD rookie season, but we don't know what he can do.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Now it's Deebo Samuels time, 71,5M/ 3 years. Feels like DJ is the only one left without an extension from that very good WR draft
DJ isn't in the same league as Deebo. With that said, I still find it very hard to pay a WR $27 million to get targetted, at most, 10-12 times per game with only 6,8, or so catches.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The Leveon bell argument should come into play with tge franchise tage next year lol … someone should argue that Deebo got paid as a wr/ rb so all that shouldn’t be wr money😂
My line of thinking was either you sign him less than 20mil or not at all using next year's tag (if you can or he signs it). BOTOM line is it gives you 1 season to see what Claypool & company have to offer. Claypool may be the BIG money maker in this play out.

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
With the emergence of George Pickens who already has far superior hands and is a more complete WR on a rookie contract, Dionte Johnson is basically expendable after this season. He's going to command in the $20-25 Million per season range and I'm sorry this kid is not worth half of that! They would be better off going after Juju in the offseason as he is younger and a more complete #2 WR than Dionte Johnson ever could be. Plus $20+ Million to spend on a WR who is clearly not a #1 WR is just a waste of money when they have a young kid in Pickens who looks like he could be the steal of the 2022 NFL Draft. Not to mention we have Calvin Austin on this roster too. Sorry the Steelers have more pressing needs on this team than tying up that kind of money in a guy who is slightly better than average.

DJ's hands are perfectly fine. His head is the problem not his hands. That is correctable as we saw last year.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
DJ isn't in the same league as Deebo. With that said, I still find it very hard to pay a WR $27 million to get targetted, at most, 10-12 times per game with only 6,8, or so catches.
More like 24M but I get your drift.
I'm not saying DJ should be payed (by the Steelers) that kind of money, just telling what the market is right now. Offer him 18M avg or the tag next year, see if he accepts. Else move on with draft talent and invest that money at OT, DL, CB. Heck invest it at QB if the 3 current guys fail.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Deebo has proven to be very good with YAC, an area where DJ has been limited. He’s still worth over $20 in the new WR market.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Deebo has proven to be very good with YAC, an area where DJ has been limited. He’s still worth over $20 in the new WR market.
I haven’t commented yet on the DJ contract thing but here goes. First of all him and his agent would be nuts if they didn’t try and cash in on the 20 million plus contracts that are flying around for WR. You can’t blame him.

His droppsies went from 13 to 5 despite being targeted 25 more times. 5th in receptions.... 10th in yards.

When you say DJ has been limited in YAC.......every Tom,Dick and Mary knew we were throwing 2 yard passes all season. In fact the last 3 seasons. It was a ******* joke. Infuriating. They all started loading up. How DJ got that many yards total is in fact a testament to his talent.

This also despite the fact he had a noodle armed QB throwing to him the last couple years. I can only imagine his stats with a much younger Ben flinging the pigskin.

I look forward to seeing what DJ can do with the new crop of QB’s.

steelhurt

Reaction score
My argument is simple. He’s not a no one receiver and he’s not worth 20 plus million per season. There! We have talent at this position and this guy is expendable.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
My argument is simple. He’s not a no one receiver and he’s not worth 20 plus million per season. There! We have talent at this position and this guy is expendable.
Johnson is definitely a No. 1, he's just in the bottom half of top receivers in the league. I don't see the talent you are at receiver. There is Claypool, an unproven but hopefully very good Pickens, then a bunch of guys who may or may not be good enough to make an NFL roster.

steelhurt

Reaction score
Johnson is definitely a No. 1, he's just in the bottom half of top receivers in the league. I don't see the talent you are at receiver. There is Claypool, an unproven but hopefully very good Pickens, then a bunch of guys who may or may not be good enough to make an NFL roster.
We’re going to have to agree to disagree here. I just don’t see Johnson as a true #1 receiver. More a no 2 guy imo!
I like what we have in our receivers. Claypool could be very good if he decides to mature but I’m not saying as a no 1. Pickens to me is a steal and could develop into our no. 1 very quickly. Cal Austin I like a lot and could be a Tyrek Hill type guy with his blazing speed.
Don’t rule out Anthony Miller who also has blazing speed and great hands. Very fluid moves if Tomlin will give him a chance. Also played well with Mitch in Chicago.
I also like Vaughn as well. I think if you can procure a no two in next years draft, you have to pull the trigger.