• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Diontae - Chances of getting new contract this year.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know yet that DJ is expendable.

Claypool has shown nothing more than he has potential, and could be a great high jumper
Pickens and Austin have yet to take a real snap
Miller was sparsely used last season - which was a head scratcher since he was very good coming out of college

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
We’re going to have to agree to disagree here. I just don’t see Johnson as a true #1 receiver. More a no 2 guy imo!
I like what we have in our receivers. Claypool could be very good if he decides to mature but I’m not saying as a no 1. Pickens to me is a steal and could develop into our no. 1 very quickly. Cal Austin I like a lot and could be a Tyrek Hill type guy with his blazing speed.
Don’t rule out Anthony Miller who also has blazing speed and great hands. Very fluid moves if Tomlin will give him a chance. Also played well with Mitch in Chicago.
I also like Vaughn as well. I think if you can procure a no two in next years draft, you have to pull the trigger.
I just don't think there are 32 guys better than Diontae Johnson. We've all heard about his separation stats, but that is beside the point. You say all these guys could be good, Johnson is good right now. They don't have proven talent at the position to trade Johnson for a second. Anthony Miller couldn't get on the field last season when the Steelers needed wide receiver help. I'm not ruling him out, but you're ready to ship off Johnson and help replace his production with guys like Anthony Miller and Tyler Vaughn.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
There aren't 32 guys better than DJ as of last year but there are easily 15 better than him and probably 20. I think some from this draft will also jump ahead of him in a year or two. That puts him below $20 million even in this ridiculous WR market that I don't think can be sustained. You will see more teams trading away top WR's in years to come just like what happened this past year.

steelhurt

Reaction score
I just don't think there are 32 guys better than Diontae Johnson. We've all heard about his separation stats, but that is beside the point. You say all these guys could be good, Johnson is good right now. They don't have proven talent at the position to trade Johnson for a second. Anthony Miller couldn't get on the field last season when the Steelers needed wide receiver help. I'm not ruling him out, but you're ready to ship off Johnson and help replace his production with guys like Anthony Miller and Tyler Vaughn.
Steelers are very good at finding and developing WRs. They did it with Johnson like they have with so many before him. He’s just not this player that you simply cannot do without. He’s very replaceable. Now with that said I wouldn’t just give him away. If there is a team in need of receiver, a team willing to give up a second round pick, I’m pulling the trigger. They are not paying him in excess of 20million per season and he will try FA and a team will give him what he wants. An we get a what, fourth round compensatory pick? Nah, move him if you can get the second round pick.

steelcan58

Reaction score
Deebo has proven to be very good with YAC, an area where DJ has been limited. He’s still worth over $20 in the new WR market.
Let's see just how successful teams are that dove into the "new WR market". I'm guessing they'll have limited success at best.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
If we pay Johnson $20 - $24 mill this contract.....in a few years from now it will be a bargain. Get it done Omar.

Actually.....I would trade him to the Browns for their 2031 and 2032 1st rounders if it was up to me. Make it happen Omar.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Omar's take on the contract.