• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Diontae Johnson Pulling for Mason Rudolph as Steelers Next QB?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The biggest headline this season for the Pittsburgh Steelers has been Ben Roethlisberger‘s looming retirement/end of his time in black and gold. With this narrative comes the constant pondering of who is going to fill Big Ben’s role in the future and the possibilities seem about as clear as a cloudy day at this point after the Steelers early exit in this season’s postseason.

Despite some mixed feelings towards who the Steelers current options are, Pittsburgh’s top receiver Diontae Johnson appears to be campaigning for Mason Rudolph and sees potential in his abilities to lead the team going forward as he stated in Monday’s presser.

“I see a lot. Mason is a great player, great quarterback. He’s smart. Playing with him my rookie year, he’s shown he can win us games. In those tough moments, too, he can make plays. He’s relaxed. And at times on the sideline this year, he was always on it, telling us what to look for, what coverages they mostly were in. Just throwing out plays we could use to beat certain coverages and whatnot. So, he’s a great player. I’m sure he’s going to work his tail off to compete for the starting job. I’m pulling for him.”

While the Steelers currently have Josh Dobbs and Dwayne Haskins to consider as well, it’s worth noting Rudolph undoubtedly has the most playing time with the team of the three current options. Rudolph may be the team’s quickest solution if they do not opt to look in the draft or free agency for their next quarterback. While the numbers have not looked too promising in favor of Rudolph in his first three seasons despite his fantastic career in college, he’s only 26 years old and there’s reason to believe his full potential has yet to be reached.

The fact of the matter is only time will tell for Pittsburgh and nothing seems to be currently left off the table, but this will be a very pressing matter until the 2022 draft/season draws closer.

Leave your comments below for who you think the Steelers should turn to for QB1 duties going forward!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Rudolf this season, evaluate and see, draft QB '23.

Why put so much investent into Rudolf only to not give him a shot. If he isn't worthy why the hell did he keep taking a roster spot.............RE-action..not...PRO-action seems to be this coaching staff's moto

Salute the nation

str8liner

Reaction score
I am sure Mason is pulling for Dionte to actually catch the balls he throws to him too...

:sneaky:

Reactions: GMC

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
DJ will have a good excuse for dropped balls w/ Rudy throwing worm burners...

Johnson made considerable improvement from '20 to '21 season. I'd hope like hell he continues his off season work to improve even more for '22. I think he had 2 drops all season until the last two games, then he had 5 plus one more in the playoff game. The one drop was a deflection so that was nullified.

I do see him improving this off season. He is a bright side on the offense. Get the play calling better and you will see him get better as well.

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Johnson only said that after asked about Rudolph. He first said the QB was going to be whoever the team brought in.